Deleted

1060 or 1070 for Legion on Setting 10 at 1440p?

Hello,

I want to upgrade my system to be ready for legion.

My current system:

i5 3570k
    8GB 1600Mhz RAM
    GTX 660

I mainly play wow (95%) so I want to buy a new graphic card only for this. I play wow at 1440p and want to get to the new preset 10.
    On preset 10 I would like to maintan 60FPS during raids (as long as my CPU handles it).

Would a 1060 be enough for that? I don't have problems buying a 1070 but I don't want to waste money if the 1070 would be an overkill.
    I even considered buying a used 970 but I thin the memory is not enough.

What would you suggest?
    Maybe anyone of you already owns a 1070 or 1060 and can provide some useful information?

Thanks in advance

Ur CPU will be ur issue.

A 1060 will be enough for 1440p with wow but don't expect a stable 60fps+ in mythic raiding on ultra (10) settings. It will be more then playable tho.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

CPU is always going to be the limiting factor in Mythic/Heroic raids, 40v40 PvP, and busy capital cities.

The primary thing that cripples framerates is the number of draw calls the CPU has to issue; the higher settings of Shadows, Particle effects, ground clutter add shitloads of draw calls, crippling framerates. The new draw distance settings act almost like a multiplier on this stress, because now all those increased draw calls from the new settings going 2-3 steps higher than before have to applied even further away.

With my new 1080 i can go from 1080p --> 4k at the "old" Ultra settings and notice no framerate drops. The moment i start sliding the new settings higher (at ethier resolution) - especially 9 and 10 - i lose big chunks of fps because the number of Draw calls the CPU has to issue is going up nearly geometrically and the CPU just cant keep up because all the draw calls have to be handled in-order by the primary thread. It has little to nothing to do with GPU power.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kypes View Post
    I would like to maintan 60FPS during raids (as long as my CPU handles it).
    Wouldn't we all... sadly, WoWs crappy old CPU bound engine doesn't permit that.

Graphical settings don't factor into that much.

Get a 1070, in case you want to play other games in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The myth just keeps being perpetuated.
    Well, if you ask me, 60FPS in an MMO where you may perform an action every second at maximum is pretty irrelevant anyway.

At least if you compare it to fast paced shooters.

Typically I limit WoW and FF-XIV to 30 FPS. Less heat that way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Wouldn't we all... sadly, WoWs crappy old CPU bound engine doesn't permit that.

Graphical settings don't factor into that much.

Get a 1070, in case you want to play other games in the future.
    Thank you for your reply. Sadly you didn't answer my question. As I said I would want to maintain 60 FPS as long as my CPU would get to that.
    My CPU is out of the question, if I can only get 30 because of it, it may be so.

My question was: Do I need the 1070 or would the 1060 be enough? I don't want my GPU to be the bottleneck. Surely I can buy a 1070 but if that will only use 60% of its power, I wasted money.

10+ Year Old Account
    My question was: Do I need the 1070 or would the 1060 be enough?
    Only a beta player/raider with a 1060 could answer that for sure.

Personally, I can't imagine WoW taxing out a 1060 at 1440p.

Only a beta player/raider with a 1060 could answer that for sure.

Personally, I can't imagine WoW taxing out a 1060 at 1440p.
    Easily happens if the CPU allows that. This specific CPU wont though.

15+ Year Old Account
    A 1060 coupled with a great CPU is more than enough for WoW at 1440.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Easily happens if the CPU allows that. This specific CPU wont though.
    Please enlighten me why an Ivy processor should not be capable of that, given the rather "meh" single threaded performance gains of subsequent Haswell & Skylake.

15+ Year Old Account
    Please enlighten me why an Ivy processor should not be capable of that, given the rather "meh" single threaded performance gains of subsequent Haswell & Skylake.
    You either quoted the wrong person or don't know what I said. All I said is a 1060 is more than enough for WoW *huge overkill, actually* and combined with any good CPU, its enough.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Any processor is a huge bottleneck in WoW. Any not overclocked processor is an even bigger bottleneck. I'm not saying he cant get that with this processor ever, but Ivy Bridge CPUs dont overclock that well compared to Sandy Bridge, Skylake or even Haswell Refresh.

Deleted
    Thank you all for your replys.
    Suddenly everybody is talking about the CPU instead of the GPU.

I might adjust my original question:
    If I am about to spend 300-400€ for my setup, the most performance increase would come from a new GPU, am I righton this?

I know that wow is VERY CPU demanding, but in my opinion my bottleneck is clearly my GTX660 (in particular with the 2GB RAM).
    So I figured upgrading my GPU would be better.

I guess I will buy the 1060. I hope I get to increase my settings and maintain high FPS (as long as my CPU can handle it).

Deleted
    I just bought a gtx1060 to replace my old gtx650-ti. Will be trying it out later today, but sadly don't have 1440p monitors (yet). Will upgrade those around Christmas :P

From what I read so far in the past and now over here, the 1060 will be fine for WoW, but might struggle on gpu demanding newer games at 1440p, but will still do fine for a while. The 1070 would be overkill for WoW.

Sorry to pop your theorycrafting bubbles, but your "overkill" predictions are nothing close to truth. The game is pretty diverse in it's requirements, so extensive testing in all the different environments is needed. But as of now - all maxed, sliders and all on 10, 1070 and 6700k give 60-70 fps in garrison. That's 1080p btw. A quick chat with tech support concluded there seems to be some instabilities with 10xx series for random people. Cranking render scale to 200% makes a gpu load 99% stable, but doesn't affect fps that much. There appear to be some inside restrictions, not proportionally related with your hardware power.

Thank you all for your replys.
    Suddenly everybody is talking about the CPU instead of the GPU.

I might adjust my original question:
    If I am about to spend 300-400€ for my setup, the most performance increase would come from a new GPU, am I righton this?

I know that wow is VERY CPU demanding, but in my opinion my bottleneck is clearly my GTX660 (in particular with the 2GB RAM).
    So I figured upgrading my GPU would be better.

I guess I will buy the 1060. I hope I get to increase my settings and maintain high FPS (as long as my CPU can handle it).
    I suggest getting a GTX 1060 and looking into overclocking your CPU (if you're not doing that already), maybe getting a good cooling for it. You definetely cannot fit a whole new system into your budget right now.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tang0 View Post
    Sorry to pop your theorycrafting bubbles, but your "overkill" predictions are nothing close to truth. The game is pretty diverse in it's requirements, so extensive testing in all the different environments is needed. But as of now - all maxed, sliders and all on 10, 1070 and 6700k give 60-70 fps in garrison. That's 1080p btw. A quick chat with tech support concluded there seems to be some instabilities with 10xx series for random people. Cranking render scale to 200% makes a gpu load 99% stable, but doesn't affect fps that much. There appear to be some inside restrictions, not proportionally related with your hardware power.
    Is that what you are getting with your system, or you saw those numbers from someone else??

I have a 2500k OCed to 4.5, with a 1070 running a 3440x1440 monitor. With everything maxed, sliders and all on 10 (except for render scale at 100%), I am getting between 90-100 fps in garrison. I have not tested much, but only time I saw it dipped below 60 fps was in a 21man pug on heroic archimonde, where the lowest was 32 fps (although the average was much higher).

Deleted
    Both are overkill for WOW, OC your CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikah View Post
    I have a 2500k OCed to 4.5, with a 1070 running a 3440x1440 monitor. With everything maxed, sliders and all on 10 (except for render scale at 100%), I am getting between 90-100 fps in garrison.
    I find it super hard to believe. Is your garrison horde? Or lvl1 by any chance? Just went to mine, 40-50 fps next to the fountain.
    postimg. org/image/svyuhwxht/
    No bottlenecks, no throttling, minimum of addons, runnig from an ssd. Putting render scale to 200% gives me exactly the same performance, just loads the gpu to 99%.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tang0 View Post
    I find it super hard to believe. Is your garrison horde? Or lvl1 by any chance? Just went to mine, 40-50 fps next to the fountain.
    postimg. org/image/svyuhwxht/
    No bottlenecks, no throttling, minimum of addons, runnig from an ssd. Putting render scale to 200% gives me exactly the same performance, just loads the gpu to 99%.
    That's weird. I just checked again, and fps is between 95-115 (higher inside the castle). Garrison is alliance, and all maxed out. And that's with a bunch of addons still giving me errors.

However, if I put the render scale to 200%, fps drops down to 40-50 fps. My guess is you got something acting up even at 100% render scale, because I don't think its normal that you get the same fps.