Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Kerry: Air conditioners as big a threat as ISIS + New HFC regulations.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016...t-as-isis.html

Secretary of State John Kerry said in Vienna on Friday that air conditioners and refrigerators are as big of a threat to life as the threat of terrorism posed by groups like the Islamic State.

The Washington Examiner reported that Kerry was in Vienna to amend the 1987 Montreal Protocol that would phase out hydrofluorocarbons, or HFCs, from basic household and commercial appliances like air conditioners, refrigerators, and inhalers.

“As we were working together on the challenge of [ISIS] and terrorism,” Kerry said. “It’s hard for some people to grasp it, but what we–you–are doing here right now is of equal importance because it has the ability to literally save life on the planet itself.”

“The use of hydrofluorocarbons is unfortunately growing,” Kerry said. “Already, the HFCs use in refrigerators, air conditioners, and other items are emitting an entire gigaton of carbon dioxide-equivalent pollution into the atmosphere annually.

New EPA rules along with the global deal would band HFCs in the United States and push for alternative chemicals for use in appliances.
    You just cant make this shit up.

Aside from the absurdity that somehow the Islamic terror group is as much of a threat as air conditions comes the scary future of higher appliance purchase/repair costs.

One need only look to the cost of R-22 for air conditioners which will typically cost a home owner $100-$120 per pound + a service call for an AC tech to come out seeing as you need a licence to purchase R-22 in the first place.

R-22 is used in older AC systems, ie ones you find in low income homes and trailers so when these people need a recharge they pay an amazingly and intentionally inflated price that they may not even be able to afford.

The alternative is to replace their handler and condenser.

I say and because yet another set of crippling government regulations forbid licensed ac techs from mixing the seer rating between the two components outside of a certain threshold which regularly equates to a 1-2 year difference in manufacturing date.

So while a home owner may have a fully functional handler with a broken compressor, or vice versa, they will often be unable to just replace one of the two components and will be forced by government regulation to replace both.

The newer systems mostly use R-410A which is the substitute for R-22, but now even that is coming under attack from the hostile and unnecessary attacks.

Whats it mean for us?

Well just as Obamacare brought an uncertain future of health care expenses regulations like these create an uncertain future for the cost of home maintenance.

Closing thought: If the danger of air conditioning is really the same as a mass murderous Islamic terrorist group then I challenge the DNC to turn off its AC for the upcoming convention.

How much of a chance do you think there will be in that happening?

Do as I say, not as I do.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Lead the way horse face turn off your AC in August!

10+ Year Old Account
    AC is just the worst.

First it's Sexist, and now it's more dangerous than Terrorism!

Islamic Terrorism in the USA is pretty statistically not dangerous if you're just looking at body count compared to other ways to die.

10+ Year Old Account
    You already took my Freon, Microbeads, Light Bulbs, phosphates, flavored cigarettes, and haggis. You will have to pry my air conditioner from my cold dead hands Horseface Kerry. Now to start a nationwide Heinz Ketchup boycott!!!

Yeah well isis pose no threat what so ever to the US nor europe, just some attacks here and there. We can call it the death rattle they make while loosing all the shit they gained the last couple years.

7+ Year Old Account
    The regular characters, showing up to put on another play for the public.
    You guys never cease to entertain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I wonder if she ever visits Jisreal. It’s like Isreal, but for Jews.

Thread of the year already.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Yeah, I care about the environment but dying to heat stroke is where I draw the line.

I do think that homes could be made WAAAY more energy-efficient than what they are, and there are lots of natural building solutions that help to keep a home naturally and passively cool in the summer. We just don't build them that way, for the most part.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Yeah, I care about the environment but dying to heat stroke is where I draw the line.

I do think that homes could be made WAAAY more energy-efficient than what they are, and there are lots of natural building solutions that help to keep a home naturally and passively cool in the summer. We just don't build them that way, for the most part.
    Probably because it's more expensive.

Spray on foam isolation is a lot more effective than mineral wool, since it actually seals the wall at the same time, but shit's expensive and actually requires competent contractors.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I do think that homes could be made WAAAY more energy-efficient than what they are
    They certainly could and if regulations are the way to get that done then so be it.

But these regulations should be aimed at new homes only.

Older homes, which are often occupied by lower income families, should not have to suffer.
    MAGA

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    They certainly could and if regulations are the way to get that done then so be it.

But these regulations should be aimed at new homes only.

Older homes, which are often occupied by lower income families, should not have to suffer.
    All that does is jack up the price of homes, making them even more unaffordable for many people. We need less regulations, not more. People could afford to buy a lot more stuff if there wasnt 1000 regulations on everything

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    All that does is jack up the price of homes, making them even more unaffordable for many people. We need less regulations, not more. People could afford to buy a lot more stuff if there wasnt 1000 regulations on everything
    Yea its definitely going to be a constant effort to be mindful of the future while being practical about the present.

Ideology cant be the sole driving factor.

Sadly these politicians make it impossible for ideology and practicality to compromise, and certainly batshit insane comments like "air conditioners are as harmful as ISIS" don't help.
    MAGA

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe he should be the one to pay to replace everyone's air conditioners to fit new regulations.

What's the joke the man is right? Hydrofluorocarbons increase global warming significantly and despite what you might think global warming is a much greater threat to our way of life than islamic terrorism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Release View Post
    What's the joke the man is right? Hydrofluorocarbons increase global warming significantly and despite what you might think global warming is a much greater threat to our way of life than islamic terrorism.
    The joke is the right wingers in this thread who continue to ardently believe that global warming does not exist.

He may be right or wrong (environmental doom and gloom is not easy to prove), but the best way to change society to being more environmentally friendly is with patents and innovations. If engineers and chemists can develop cost effective alternatives to gas, CFCs, etc. then by all means push it to the norm.

The new Tesla model 3's are a good example.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Deleted
    what about parts of the world that dont have AC? pretty much no homes in the UK have AC, is it still a threat to me here? cant i even feel safe in my own home anymore??

Yes well there usually is no end to the wobal glorming stupidity. Just when you think they have reached the bottom of their idiocy...they open a whole new sub basement

Anyone that believes this climate change / global warming / doomsday / rebadged to whatever needs help.

Quote Originally Posted by Release View Post
    We know it causes temperature rises, but it's really hard to simulate Earth-scale effects of such. I do laugh at people who think that ISIS is somehow a major threat though.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.