Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I loathe the prot pally changes, guess that is an unpopular opinion. The loss of holy power and the VERY little interaction between the rest of your skills and SotR to replace it feels incredibly hollow. That being said, Druid seems amazing, their talents actually having a lot of choice is awesome and their skill set up with the giant meat shield fantasy in place, makes me happy.

Bear is good, no complaints, brewmaster is a load of crap now (which makes me super sad), death knight is okay, paladin is quite boring and warrior I have yet to try, but I'm not really attracted by it anymore.
    I like a lot the DH vengeance tho, even if health does a lot of jo-jo

I'll switch from monk to druid, but DH is really grabbing me right now. I didn't tank anything serious with that so far, but the novelty factor alone may be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Darzhan View Post
    I want to thank you guys. Im honestly far too easily swayed by opinion of some internet hotshots so I basically wrote off my protadin because characters like Preach were telling me the spec was shit. It bothered me because I had just finished levelling mine and the Legion artifact for Prot is the best looking one out of all IMO. Ive avoided logging onto my prot because I felt I was going to be let down.

Having seen this I am going to go home after work, (sleep) then log onto my protadin and blast through timewalking. I'd spent so much time listening to the opinions of those I trust to actually try things out for myself.

Im mad because Im bad.
    You have to remember that all his opinions are incredibly subjective. He's still very old-school in his tanking - so he doesn't like active mitigation and frankly aggro hasn't been a thing since Cataclysm.

What Preach wants are compelling gameplay choices which just aren't there in terms of the active mitigation model for the most part. It's mostly about just waiting the timers out and using your mitigation at the right time if you can't have it up all the time.

Which is funny because that's the exact same model of a lot of healers, including the spec he loves the most right now (disc) since it's about watching the timers and bubbling everyone. I think the difference is a healer has more choice - do you save one person or try to cover the whole raid? Whereas a tank just has only themselves really.

Anyway, there might be a lot of salt out right now from many people disliking a lot of the changes. However nothing is unplayable and nothing is completely nerfed to the ground. It's just a matter of learning the new style or transitioning to a class/spec that more fits what you enjoy.

I feel like I'm in over my head as a relatively inexperienced tank that's thinking of maining Brewmaster this expac, but fuck me if the playstyle isn't fun. This is the most I've ever had to play around Stagger, and while I wish it cleansed the whole bar like before (even though that'd be pretty OP), it's super satisfying purifying huge chunks of my stagger.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    You have to remember that all his opinions are incredibly subjective. He's still very old-school in his tanking - so he doesn't like active mitigation and frankly aggro hasn't been a thing since Cataclysm.
    I haven't watched the video released by Preach, but this right here is the biggest issue I have with tanking, and have had in a long while. The ability to tank is no longer a skill. Surviving incoming damage, by rotating your cooldowns, however, is a skill, which has replaced the skill of keeping aggro. A tank still needs good awareness of their surroundings, which is something at least.

I miss the times of old, when the true difference between a good tank, and a great tank, was how many mobs they were able to keep aggro on at the same time, versus how capable the healer was at keeping the tank alive (if at all possible). FinalBoss showcased that a Prot Warrior (with artifact) can stay alive for roughly 30 seconds without receiving any healing at all, on a raid boss dummy, so the issue of the healer keeping the tank alive basicly becomes a non-issue. I would like to see less focus on self-preservation for tanks, and more focus on keeping aggro. Can be done easily enough by increasing passive damage reduction; and reducing active damage reduction, and threat generation, by half.

Ya I enjoyed tanked yesterday on my paladin, considered being fully tank in legion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tenant View Post
    I feel like I'm in over my head as a relatively inexperienced tank that's thinking of maining Brewmaster this expac, but fuck me if the playstyle isn't fun. This is the most I've ever had to play around Stagger, and while I wish it cleansed the whole bar like before (even though that'd be pretty OP), it's super satisfying purifying huge chunks of my stagger.
    I always recommend people who are new tanks to try prot pally's first. To me and IMO its the most easy to learn.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I always recommend people who are new tanks to try prot pally's first. To me and IMO its the most easy to learn.
    I was told similarly before by friends (they said Prot Warrior back then), but I'm stubborn and like fist-fighting classes in most class-based games too much and stuck it out anyway.

We should make more threads like these that make tanks seem like the most wonderful role ever... perhaps we'll get faster queues!!!

Other then that... I am also more of "hard to get agro" player. I mean if it is easy to tank.... But thank god I am a healer and because most tanks simply ignore their cooldowns to mitigate damage, I have a lot of fun!

Pally prot has been sexy, still catch myself wanting to use a move or two that are gone but that is mostly just aoe stuff. The three stacks of shield is taking a bit to get use to but nothing crazy weird. The heal move that heals a % of damage missing is nice too, saved my butt a few times now.

Deleted
    i tested all tanks on live, and i can honestly say blood dk is friggin awesome! the selfheal is still, even without the artifact, the best of all tanks. and if you get the hang of rune regen and bone shield sustain, dk ist very durable.

the second best for me is guardian druid, right after that paladin, then warrior > brewmaster. (all gameplay wise, not only about strenght)

How can people like pally prot !? With the removal of HP it's just ... extremely boring. But I suppose casual players like simple gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    How can people like pally prot !? With the removal of HP it's just ... extremely boring. But I suppose casual players like simple gameplay.
    Yep sure do.

I fucken hate holy power, I didn't chose to play paladin to also play resource management. Its one reason why I do not like playing DK or Warrior much.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

All opinions are subjective. But that's not what Preach said in the tanking video. He actually prefers active mitigation because it rewards good play. His complaint with legion tanking was that it didn't matter what button was pressed as long as something was being pressed there wasn't a right or wrong button. So bad play isn't punished and good play isn't rewarded. He didn't personally find that fun or interesting. He also made that video based on test servers so everything he said could have completely changed by now.

Personally, I thought the Protection Paladin changes make is really boring now. But I would always advise to take that with a grain of salt. Try it for yourself. That's why there are many classes and specs. Pick something you find fun, not what other people think.

Seriously? Before the pre-patch we (and all tanks) were basically god-mode and barely noticed if we even had healers. Now at least we have to stay awake and pay attention to our CDs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kinjin View Post
    All opinions are subjective. But that's not what Preach said in the tanking video. He actually prefers active mitigation because it rewards good play. His complaint with legion tanking was that it didn't matter what button was pressed as long as something was being pressed there wasn't a right or wrong button. So bad play isn't punished and good play isn't rewarded. He didn't personally find that fun or interesting. He also made that video based on test servers so everything he said could have completely changed by now.

Personally, I thought the Protection Paladin changes make is really boring now. But I would always advise to take that with a grain of salt. Try it for yourself. That's why there are many classes and specs. Pick something you find fun, not what other people think.
    I think just the opposite, i.e., that I'm much more engaged now than before. Before I could run through half an instance without noticing that the healer was AFK. Now I'm paying attention to my health bar again during every pull. Boring was before the changes, not since.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Deleted
    I'd say the inclusion of HP in Cataclysm made prot pally just... extremely boring with the 1-2-X-1-X-2-1-X-X rotation, and good riddance to that. The new one feels much closer to what tank paladins used to be in ages past, with the added twist of keeping up the shield and a few neat functionality cooldowns.
    Last edited by mmocd2effbd770; 2016-07-25 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarklingThrush View Post
    Seriously? Before the pre-patch we (and all tanks) were basically god-mode and barely noticed if we even had healers. Now at least we have to stay awake and pay attention to our CDs.
    Unless you're a Prot Warrior, that is.

Before the patch, I was deciding between pumping rage into DPS or rage into mitigation, and after that, choosing between Barrier & Block. Now? Now DPS is no longer an option, I'm left pumping rage into Ignore Pain.

Stacking IP over 2m & holding it there, even on mythic raid bosses, is an absolute joke & takes no effort whatsoever. Pulling multiple packs & chaining IP throughout a timewalking dungeon leaves me wondering if I even need a group, never mind a healer.

7.0 Warrior gameplay is disgustingly basic, and even more disgustingly overpowered.

Hat's off to Blizz

Quote Originally Posted by DarklingThrush View Post
    There was so much drama in so many threads about how Blizz was going to ruin tanking, but after a weekend (my weekend is Fri-Sat) of tanking HFC, mythic dungeons, and TW... I have to hand it to them. I am having a blast on all my tanks - DK, Bear, and Paladin. They are all different but all engaging and fun to play. I love the new special effects. I love that there are some interesting choices to make among talents, and I haven't even gotten to my off-specs yet.
    I have to agree, it's been a breath of fresh air for me, I actually have to use cool-downs and death is a possibility, definitely makes game a little more fun to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Balgazarr View Post
    I have to agree, it's been a breath of fresh air for me, I actually have to use cool-downs and death is a possibility, definitely makes game a little more fun to play.
    On the flip side of this coin, as a Brewmaster, I have found that I can do everything correctly, and still die to healers being forced to deal with mechanics as burst the tank abilities come into play. This is the pinnacle of frustration for me, knowing I did everything properly and my position in the encounter still caused the raid to wipe.

I am enjoying all the tanks except the Monk.

DK - Spec the middle ability in Tier 1(Forget its name), stand in your DnD and spam Hearth strike, RP and Death strike for heals! Enjoy it. The self healing IS weaker but oh well. It may get better at 110 with the artifact.

Bear Druid - Tons of armor, tons of health, fun interaction with their abilities, lack of self healing though Galactic guardian is fun and nice rage generation.

Paladin - Love the new animations, spell graphics, sound effects.

Warrior - Pleasantly surprised by the changes to the Warrior. Enjoy the fact that revenge swipes everything in front of you. Nice damage! Nice new animations, ability graphics like charge looks better, heroic leap looks better

Monk - You blow my ass after taking a massive, disgusting, dirty ass shit(Used to be one of my favorite tank specs)
    Last edited by Extremities; 2016-07-25 at 04:48 PM.

Monk is really solid too! It now revolves around the stagger mechanic like it really should have from the beginning. So fun pulling a few packs and using your CD to have 95% stagger.