Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tapczan100 View Post
    That's not right
    Your screen can not physically display more FPS than what the HZ is locked at. 60 HZ (60FPS) or 144HZ (144FPS). While you might think you're seeing better FPS you are only seeing the most recent frame your monitor displayed. It's dropping all the frames in between.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjWS...l=3kliksphilip

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    This is my problem, its very difficult to find a consensus..

- - - Updated - - -

I dont have an option in Nvidia control panel for adaptive vsynch in managing Overwatchs 3D settings, just vsync. Are you using freesync with your display port and gpu? My dp isnt freesync compatible and Im using DVI.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a feeling vsync and adaptive vsync are very different. Adaptive sounds like it would be variable, much like freesync or gsync and I dont see an adapative vsync option in the control panel for my card.
    You don't need either technology to take advantage of a 144HZ monitor. Your card supports 144HZ. Plug it in using a display port to display port connection to that monitor you have. 144HZ will show up in Windows in the monitor properties. Launch your game and set it to use the higher refresh rate. You should see a dropdown to set it to the higher HZ here. http://imgur.com/a/IAoKI
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    You don't need either technology to take advantage of a 144HZ monitor. Your card supports 144HZ. Plug it in using a display port to display port connection to that monitor you have. 144HZ will show up in Windows in the monitor properties. Launch your game and set it to use the higher refresh rate. You should see a dropdown to set it to the higher HZ here. http://imgur.com/a/IAoKI
    There is an inherent motion blur that I was experiencing that I also mistakenly called tearing. I was able to improve it dramatically by tricking my computer into activating lightboost. http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost/

Honestly, this is incredible!
    Last edited by Daymanmb; 2017-03-17 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    Your screen can not physically display more FPS than what the HZ is locked at. 60 HZ (60FPS) or 144HZ (144FPS). While you might think you're seeing better FPS you are only seeing the most recent frame your monitor displayed. It's dropping all the frames in between.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjWS...l=3kliksphilip
    But you do understand that your fps is not only tied to your display? Games physically run smoother the higher the framerate.

Hey guys, i have to necro this to ask you a question:

My rig (i5 2500, GTX 960 4 GB, 8 GB Ram, SSD) isnt the newest, still i am playing with the idea to buy an 144hz monitor (currently using a 24" 60hz one). Do you think the upgrade is worth it? Is my system strong enough to produce enough FPS - or should i get a better PC before? Thanks in advance!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    Hey guys, i have to necro this to ask you a question:

My rig (i5 2500, GTX 960 4 GB, 8 GB Ram, SSD) isnt the newest, still i am playing with the idea to buy an 144hz monitor (currently using a 24" 60hz one). Do you think the upgrade is worth it? Is my system strong enough to produce enough FPS - or should i get a better PC before? Thanks in advance!
    Stable 144 fps, probably not. But I believe you should still get way over 60 fps so it's probably worth it. I'd go with Gsync support though, it's pretty golden if you can't hold stable 144+ fps on 144hz monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Janz View Post
    Stable 144 fps, probably not. But I believe you should still get way over 60 fps so it's probably worth it. I'd go with Gsync support though, it's pretty golden if you can't hold stable 144+ fps on 144hz monitor.
    Nice suggestions, thank you. G-Sync is advisable, and better than V-Sync?
    Last edited by iddqd; 2017-06-19 at 10:29 AM.

Deleted
    It's Nvidias own, kind of better version of V-Sync. Requires Nvidia GFX card and a monitor that supports it. At least I have found that it removes all tearing effectively, actually makes your games seem smoother and does not introduce annoying input lag like V-Sync does. It's nice when you can't hold stable 144 fps on 144hz monitor. If you can though, it's kind of pointless since at least I can't really see any tearing when playing 144+ fps on my 144hz monitor. With your setup the stable 144 fps part might be just a dream so I'd heavily recommend GSync.

10+ Year Old Account
    V-sync means your GPU only sends out a new frame when the monitor is ready to display it (which means 60 times a second on a 60hz monitor). This can lead to input lag, or games generally feeling unresponsive.
    Gsync (and Freesync for AMD) means the monitor displays a new frame whenever the GPU sends it one (up to its native refresh rate).

Thing is, apparently monitors with G-Sync are pricier than ones without. Maybe it's better to invest that money into a better gaming rig and there not needing G-Sync?

Deleted
    Thing is, apparently monitors with G-Sync are pricier than ones without. Maybe it's better to invest that money into a better gaming rig and there not needing G-Sync?
    You're talking about like 50$ difference of monitor price compared to putting 1000$ in new rig parts.

Ok, i talked to some friends and decided to get a BenQ Zowie XL2411 and it seems to have good price effectiveness (GPU: EVGA GTX 960) and will connect it via DVI (will buy a 24+1 DUal Link cable for it). Still something to consider? I hope i can connect a 2nd monitor (that has only 60hz) without any problems (meaning, "disturbing" monitor nr.1)?

Ok, i talked to some friends and decided to get a BenQ Zowie XL2411 and it seems to have good price effectiveness (GPU: EVGA GTX 960) and will connect it via DVI (will buy a 24+1 DUal Link cable for it). Still something to consider? I hope i can connect a 2nd monitor (that has only 60hz) without any problems (meaning, "disturbing" monitor nr.1)?
    XL2411 is a great monitor for gaming, a lot of people use it in OW/CSGO etc, good buy.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're not gonna get anywhere near 144 FPS with a 960GTX though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    Ive got a GTX 950 that I could upgrade. I get about 180fps in Overwatch on low settings, without vsynch.
    I highly doubt that.
    Last edited by CptEgo; 2017-06-27 at 08:01 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CptEgo View Post
    You're not gonna get anywhere near 144 FPS with a 960GTX though.
    It's totally possible with low enough settings tho. Render scale does miracles.

Well FPS are high enough, Overwatch isnt that demanding, luckily.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's totally possible with low enough settings tho. Render scale does miracles.
    Okay then, but is 144 FPS more important than proper lighting, shadows, AA and textures? Not for me. I wan't my game to look good and still be smooth. 60-70 FPS is more than enough for me.

G-Sync is licensed from Nvidia, but due to that guarantees certain "standards" that Nvidia dictate.
    FreeSync is part of a standard, and therefore does not require additional costs to be paid, but as it isn't enforced the actual implementation can vary dramatically.
    Basically both will over a certain range sync the rate of the screen refreshes to that of the frames coming in.
    But each requires that manufacturer's card, and support from that specific range.
    If the framerate is outside what the sync range on the display is, then the benefit is gone.
    Cheaper monitors have a lower minimum range.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Deleted
    Okay then, but is 144 FPS more important than proper lighting, shadows, AA and textures? Not for me. I wan't my game to look good and still be smooth. 60-70 FPS is more than enough for me.
    Yes, it is. I don't want my game to look super cute if that means I'll have to play choppy 60 fps on my 144hz monitor. The difference between 60 and 144 FPS is like night and day, especially on 144Hz monitor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, it is. I don't want my game to look super cute if that means I'll have to play choppy 60 fps on my 144hz monitor. The difference between 60 and 144 FPS is like night and day, especially on 144Hz monitor.
    When the fuck did 60 fps become 'choppy'? 60 fps was always perfect until those fucking monitors came. Now it's not good enough.

When the fuck did 60 fps become 'choppy'? 60 fps was always perfect until those fucking monitors came. Now it's not good enough.
    It matters in this game because it directly impacts performance, the same goes for any other competitive FPS game and it always has.

In other games where things like input lag don't matter as much you could make a strong argument for better graphics over 144 fps but I personally still prefer the smoothness it gives me, but obviously it's a little more difficult to hit that 144 fps mark on a game like the Witcher 3 so I'll take the visuals there.

Also I recommend looking up why gaming on a CRT tv feels so good.