Question Is it wrong to not reveal an exploit without getting rewarded from Blizzard?

I found an exploit that allows you to take advantage of something without having to purchase it in real world currency. Other companies such as Facebook and Google have a reward system and even have contests for exploits, but Blizzard Entertainment does not. This is not just another exploit, this is an incredible find that affects the companies revenue if abused. I am wondering if this is right or wrong to not reveal it without getting rewarded in any way with this huge issue. Some say it's good for attempting to get rewarded, but others say it's wrong. I don't want to miss out on an opportunity, but at the end, they may not even care to reward as they have a feature of reporting that does not benefit you. However, this is far superior than just an ordinary exploit.

I don't even know if Blizzard Entertainment will ever have a reward system or contests for bugs/exploits/glitches in the future, what do you think? Should they even reward people no matter how big it is?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, you should report it without expecting a reward, because it’s the right thing to do.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Well, they can remove all your ill gotten gains with SQL command if they want it's all virtual stuff.

The thing about Facebook and Google is that it could be real money.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Kylo69 View Post
    I found an exploit that allows you to take advantage of something without having to purchase it in real world currency. Other companies such as Facebook and Google have a reward system and even have contests for exploits, but Blizzard Entertainment does not. This is not just another exploit, this is an incredible find that affects the companies revenue if abused. I am wondering if this is right or wrong to not reveal it without getting rewarded in any way with this huge issue. Some say it's good for attempting to get rewarded, but others say it's wrong. I don't want to miss out on an opportunity, but at the end, they may not even care to reward as they have a feature of reporting that does not benefit you. However, this is far superior than just an ordinary exploit.

I don't even know if Blizzard Entertainment will ever have a reward system or contests for bugs/exploits/glitches in the future, what do you think? Should they even reward people no matter how big it is?
    Guess ill bite the thread,

report it, you shouldnt get rewarded for wanting to improve the game you play by making less exploits in general for people to use.

the exploit you have found although very Vague in your description, most likely doesnt exist and if it does, other peole would have found it most likely and are keeping a lid on it.

so if you really have found said exploit, report it to blizzard, you probably wont get banned as a result for using the exploit.

but if you go on using it, seeming as it is with real currency this is seen as stealing and if found, blizzard can take up legal charges against you for stealing from them.

So best bet is to not use said exploit report it, let them know how many times you 'Tried it Out" and when and hope for the best.

better to get in first and let them know about it, than be one of the people who abused it and get caught out with the worse option of legal action taken against them.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

Sadly blizzard cannot police the attitude of beta testers. You are either a person who cares about seeing the game suceed and would report it, or a person who only cares about their own gain and will fish for a "reward" as if you are entitled to it. No you will not get rewarded no matter what you do. You are entitled to nothing and are easily replaceable due to the demand for beta access. Sorry to say, if there is even a grain of truth to this fishy story likely made up just for attention, you are as meaningless as the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Binaris View Post
    Sadly blizzard cannot police the attitude of beta testers. You are either a person who cares about seeing the game suceed and would report it, or a person who only cares about their own gain and will fish for a "reward" as if you are entitled to it. No you will not get rewarded no matter what you do. You are entitled to nothing and are easily replaceable due to the demand for beta access. Sorry to say, if there is even a grain of truth to this fishy story likely made up just for attention, you are as meaningless as the rest of us.
    even if there was a reward i doubt Op would get it due to the fact he says in his first post he abused the Exploit.

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reporting an exploit means you don't get caught in the ban wave when they DO find it.

I'd think an exploit involving services that would otherwise have to be rendered to Blizzard in the form of payment would be fairly easy for them to track once they know what they're looking for.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kikazz View Post
    even if there was a reward i doubt Op would get it due to the fact he says in his first post he abused the Exploit.
    I never said that. Finding is not abusing.

You can do whatever. It is very likely someone else has reported the issue, used the exploit or both. Probably both. And it is very likely Blizzard, or any developer for that matter, are aware of the error.

The number of bug reports that flood an MMO is so great at a certain point you look at only like 1% or them to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Reporting an exploit means you don't get caught in the ban wave when they DO find it.

I'd think an exploit involving services that would otherwise have to be rendered to Blizzard in the form of payment would be fairly easy for them to track once they know what they're looking for.
    Fairly easy?? If it was easy, they would have already tracked it. They have no idea how it's done, that's why it has not been found, and probably won't be for a very long time if they were to do it themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    You can do whatever. It is very likely someone else has reported the issue, used the exploit or both. Probably both. And it is very likely Blizzard, or any developer for that matter, are aware of the error.

The number of bug reports that flood an MMO is so great at a certain point you look at only like 1% or them to be honest.
    They are not aware of it because it's been around for at least a very long time already. That's why it's not just an ordinary exploit.

Fairly easy?? If it was easy, they would have already tracked it. They have no idea how it's done, that's why it has not been found, and probably won't be for a very long time if they were to do it themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

They are not aware of it because it's been around for at least a very long time already. That's why it's not just an ordinary exploit.
    if its been around for as long as you say, maybe blizzard is aware of it and are using it to ban people or gather info on the people for a court case or legal action?

- - - Updated - - -

I never said that. Finding is not abusing.
    never said you were abusing, but said you found the exploit, in order to find an exploit you need to abuse it to find it.

So if it has been around for a 'very long time', you think the people who have the job of looking into these things don't know about it?

That is so unlikely as to be absurd.

I'm not sure what ridiculous thing the OP is getting at here, but yes, it is wrong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    So if it has been around for a 'very long time', you think the people who have the job of looking into these things don't know about it?

That is so unlikely as to be absurd.
    You'd be surprised. Big company that provides services for most of Europe had a SQL injection in their login form for a couple of years. Found it when working on some other things and then fixed it.

Some things are just hard to find due to the way they happen in some weird circumstances. Couple that with something that is hardly used and you've got a place where you can find some weird shit.

How is it wrong? That's like saying, fastfood restaurants give you a large size when you get a combo but is it wrong that McDonalds doesn't?

I don't think they should as that just gives people more of a reason to go find those exploits and they will abuse it to get what they want before telling blizzard and then getting a reward for telling them even though they just abused the heck out of now