Thread: Rip yahoo 2016

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I make an effort to never use Yahoo since they blocked users from accessing their Yahoo mail if they had Adblock enabled.
    I have hear of this but I use addblock and I never had an issue

Yahoo! Comments.

Never fails to astound me.
    Read them if you dare.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMediator View Post
    All my personal email accounts, my job-search email account, and most of my family's email accounts are yahoo accounts. Only use google mail for work and even then, I dunno the way it automatically sorts emails can be annoying at times when it sends important work emails to the wrong folder because I'm CC'd rather than one of the primary recipients etc.
    You can actually change that within googles account settings.
    Words are a wonderful form of communication, but they will never replace kisses and punches. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

10+ Year Old Account
    Yahoo is dead since about 20 years already.

Good morning to everyone who arrived just yet.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Yahoo is dead since about 20 years already.

Good morning to everyone who arrived just yet.
    I don't think you pay 5 billion dollars for something that is dead, but hey I could be wrong.

whaaa, noooo.... the courts wouldn't possibly allow a merger of two giant companies... we have monopoly protections and such... rofl.
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Must be nice being worth close to $5bn as a corpse... /s
    MS offered them $44.6 billion in 2008. They turned it down. At one point early in 2000. Yahoo stock was worth ~$120 per share. Now it hovers around $25-30. It is not even worth the $5 billion being paid. Experts say that Yahoo is actually worth -$8 billion. That is negative $8 billion.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-yahoo/

Quote Originally Posted by Glnger View Post
    whaaa, noooo.... the courts wouldn't possibly allow a merger of two giant companies... we have monopoly protections and such... rofl.
    Yeah, now Verizon has access to all of Yahoo's assets! Like, Flikr. And Tumblr. And...and...uh...yahoo Answers? Curse this tech giant monstrosity born by our inability to regulate!

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    Yeah, now Verizon has access to all of Yahoo's assets! Like, Flikr. And Tumblr. And...and...uh...yahoo Answers? Curse this tech giant monstrosity born by our inability to regulate!
    yes, Verizon. known world wide as a small internet firm.
    just one of many buyouts that allow for America's shitty internet services to keep being shit.
    thanks for the sarcasm and generally shit attitude tho
    :thumbsup:
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.

Quote Originally Posted by Glnger View Post
    yes, Verizon. known world wide as a small internet firm.
    just one of many buyouts that allow for America's shitty internet services to keep being shit.
    thanks for the sarcasm and generally shit attitude tho
    :thumbsup:
    I don't see how Verizon owning Yahoo is indicative of a monopoly, at all.
    Yahoo is dried up and dead and all it has to it's name is a shitty blogging website and an image hosting site. Unless Verizon is running around buying up every mylivejournal knockoff, this isn't a monopoly.

If it was google, M$ or anyone else buying them out, you'd have an argument. Just because both businesses were involved with the internet in some capacity doesn't mean the government should step in and prevent the sale.

Also, stop harassing me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    I don't see how Verizon owning Yahoo is indicative of a monopoly, at all.
    Yahoo is dried up and dead and all it has to it's name is a shitty blogging website and an image hosting site. Unless Verizon is running around buying up every mylivejournal knockoff, this isn't a monopoly.

If it was google, M$ or anyone else buying them out, you'd have an argument. Just because both businesses were involved with the internet in some capacity doesn't mean the government should step in and prevent the sale.

Also, stop harassing me.
    Yahoo is the most used news source on the internet, hence why it is still worth something.

*shoots a flaming arrow into Yahoo*
    Back to hell, from whence you came foul beast!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I don't think you pay 5 billion dollars for something that is dead, but hey I could be wrong.
    You pay 5 billion dollars for the scraps of what Yahoo once was.
    It once was:
    The World's number 1 Search engine
    The World's number 1 online shopping platform
    The World's number 1 email service
    The World's number 1 messaging service (txt and voice).

It is none of that anymore.
    Yahoo was worth a lot more than those measly 5 billions.
    It still has a position in the online landscape. And that's where that price comes from.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/yah...ontinue-effort

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Yahoo Inc. on Monday formally rejected Microsoft Corp.'s $44.6 billion bid to buy the company
    And that was 2008.. nearly 10 years before that, it was even more worth. Yahoo's value peak was in 1999.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    It once was:

It still has a position in the online landscape. And that's where that price comes from.

And that was 2008.. nearly 10 years before that, it was even more worth. Yahoo's value peak was in 1999.
    You missed yahoo groups. That was the big one IMHO. That had tens of millions of users long before facebook existed.

The company has to be one of the worst run in corproate history. A pity as the mail is very good and I use it to this day.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    MS offered them $44.6 billion in 2008. They turned it down. At one point early in 2000. Yahoo stock was worth ~$120 per share. Now it hovers around $25-30. It is not even worth the $5 billion being paid. Experts say that Yahoo is actually worth -$8 billion. That is negative $8 billion.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-yahoo/
    Yahoo has always had massive potential. In the right hands it could be worth 100 billion. It wouldn't be easy but there are still huge communities within yahoo's infrastructure. The real problem has been some of the most stuffy, conservative and useless management I have ever witnessed.

Deleted
    meh... I still have an yahoo mail I use for stuff, I will now have to move everything from there to a new gmail address. And there's quite a lot, considering that mail is from... 2005 or so.

I haven't used Yahoo email in 10-15 years...... Hopefully, it will be an improvement?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    I haven't ever had an issue with Yahoo - it was relevant early on with geocities for me, and launched me into my current endeavors in my career.. I get the hate, but is yahoo really that bad? Tons of history from yahoo back in the 90's and I guess that's the reason I've never hated yahoo... idk, I guess I just haven't seen a good reason why yahoo is so bad as stated in the thread?
    Oh, originally it was quite good. I mean, I have an email on yahoo because once it was great, and plus it also came with the Yahoo Messenger that people in my country used a lot. Then it started degrading.
    We started getting ads and useless shit like news in your junk folder when you delete all the mails. I mean wtf? It started going slower, loading mails slower.
    Now even logging into your mail, you're first taken to the news page.

Overall as a mail service, it was good. But they started trying to get as much money as they could out of it, making it slow and filled with useless shit and ads.

In the last few years they've been lead by a CEO that kept making bad investment after another, and by how they try more and more to shove more ads everywhere, you can tell.

10+ Year Old Account
    So much for yahoo chat on Trillian. I have a feeling it's gonna get shitcanned/unsupported.

EDIT:August 5th it dies.
    Last edited by Poopymonster; 2016-07-25 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Google-fu
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

It once was:

That's dying, that's not dead