Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Help with new PC build for Blizzard Games

Hey! So after 5 years of running a laptop with a i7 2670QM And geforce like 630M my games barely run any longer! Time for a new computer!

So I was looking at possibly building my own. First timer, any tips greatly welcome!

What is your intended use for this build? The more details the better.

Gaming, Lol, Wow, CS, Maybe a bit of streaming games. Light Photoshop usage.

If gaming, what kind of performance are you looking for? (Screen resolution, FPS, game settings)

1920x1080

I guess somewhere around 60 fps

High settings

What is your budget (ballpark is okay)?

I was originally looking at spending 10,000 SEK (ISH 1150 Us dollars)

After finding logicalincrements.com, looks like I might be able to stay under the budget. But flexible either way, to some extent.

In what country are you purchasing your parts? Im in Sweden

Post a draft of your potential build here

Right so originally I was looking at something like

*i5-6600K

*ASUS Z170-A - ATX

*Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 4GB (GV-N960OC-4GD)

*Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB (2x8GB) / 3000MHz / DDR4 / CL15

*WD HDD 2TB 7200RPM / 64MB Cache

*Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB

*EVGA PSU SuperNOVA 650 G2 650W

Provide any additional details you wish below.

As for case/cooling I have no idea :s Do I get a case with a fan or do I get some additional cooling?

Also, I might have the opportunity to get hold of the Asus z170 programing motherboard for cheaper than retail is this board okay? or how does it fair vs the z170 A. I have read mixed reviews online.

I was also suggested this build by a friend, any insights on how it compares to my original build?

I would need to add extra memory as I do a lot of photo editing, I have a lot of photos that need space haha.

Intel Core i5-6500 - 4 threads / 3,2GHz / 6MB / Socket 1151

ASUS GeForce GTX 960 2GB OC TURBO (TURBO-GTX960-OC-2GD5)

Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2x4GB) / 2666MHz / DDR4 / CL16 / CMK8GX4M2A2666C16

Samsung SSD 850 EVO SSD 250GB (MZ-75E250B/EU)

ASUS Z170-E - ATX / Z170

Cryorig H7 CPU

Corsair PowerSupply (PSU) CS450M 450W

Fractal Design Define S case

Not sure what I missed, hopefully not to much.

Thanks for any help guys!!

If you want to overclock get a 6600K and a Z170 mainboard but the i5 6500 wont be slower for your type of games so you can save there some bugs.
    The GTX 960 is outdated go for the GTX 1060 or the RX 480.

Maybe a better PSU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-049-_-Product

Also for 20$ more you can get a 480GB SSD from Toshiba.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-143-_-Product

Fractal Design Define S is a nice tower but also check out Phanteks, NZXT and Be Quiet.
    Btw most 50$ + cases got a back and front fan.
    Last edited by Miyagie; 2016-07-26 at 01:33 AM.

Do you need a monitor and any other peripherals with this build?

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.inet.se/kundvagn/visa/9572099/

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    If you want to overclock get a 6600K and a Z170 mainboard but the i5 6500 wont be slower for your type of games so you can save there some bugs.
    The GTX 960 is outdated go for the GTX 1060 or the RX 480.

Maybe a better PSU.

Also for 20$ more you can get a 480GB SSD from Toshiba.

Fractal Design Define S is a nice tower but also check out Phanteks, NZXT and Be Quiet.
    Btw most 50$ + cases got a back and front fan.

A lot of people seem to be saying the 1060 ye, so will prob have to go for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Do you need a monitor and any other peripherals with this build?

- - - Updated - - -
    No, I have everything else I need thanks!

Thanks for sharing a build, and a 1060 with my budget as well

I did think of something just now though, but it isnt the biggest issue. I would have liked a case thats no longer than 40cm, just so it doest poke out from under the desk. Would -fractal design define nano s with window- be to small for my components? Or should I stick with the case you put in your build.

Thanks again guys!

ps: had to remove your links from quotes as forum wont let me post them

Quote Originally Posted by Valaeria View Post
    A lot of people seem to be saying the 1060 ye, so will prob have to go for that.

No, I have everything else I need thanks!

Thanks for sharing a build, and a 1060 with my budget as well

I did think of something just now though, but it isnt the biggest issue. I would have liked a case thats no longer than 40cm, just so it doest poke out from under the desk. Would -fractal design define nano s with window- be to small for my components? Or should I stick with the case you put in your build.

Thanks again guys!

ps: had to remove your links from quotes as forum wont let me post them
    If you go for a small case you need a ITX mainboard like:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-677-_-Product

Ofc you need a Z170 ITX board if you got for the 6600K.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-179-_-Product

If you ever wanted to up the RAM speed you'd need to get a z-170 pro, plus it has more USB 3.0 slots. the Pro will support DDR4-3000MHz iirc.

Do you plan on overclocking?
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Alright, Ill stick with a normal size case then, not to big of an issue

inet.se/kundvagn/bild/9572815/

I really like the look of this build then, and the budget works for me

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    If you ever wanted to up the RAM speed you'd need to get a z-170 pro, plus it has more USB 3.0 slots. the Pro will support DDR4-3000MHz iirc.

I dont plan on overclocking no, but the price difference between the i5 6600k and 6600 is next to nothing here atm

As for the ram, Isnt the current suggested build alright in your opinion? Keep in mind I now have a pc that can barely run hearthstone and I would like to stay on budget
    I dont know much about ram speed and how it affects everything
    Last edited by Valaeria; 2016-07-26 at 11:53 AM.

You are wrong. Memory overclocking is a feature that is provided by chipset. You can still set your DDR4-2400 memory to 3000 on any Z170 board but it's not guaranteed that it will be stable with stock voltage and usual timings.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I dont plan on overclocking no, but the price difference between the i5 6600k and 6600 is next to nothing here atm

As for the ram, Isnt the current suggested build alright in your opinion? Keep in mind I now have a pc that can barely run hearthstone and I would like to stay on budget
    Overclocking is an option you can exercise in the future if you need more performance. You can save about 300 SEK if you want to skip that option.

You are wrong. Memory overclocking is a feature that is provided by chipset. You can still set your DDR4-2400 memory to 3000 on any Z170 board but it's not guaranteed that it will be stable with stock voltage and usual timings.

- - - Updated - - -

Overclocking is an option you can exercise in the future if you need more performance. You can save about 300 SEK if you want to skip that option.
    My mistake, I was using a typo on PCPartPicker that excluded some memory speeds.

- - - Updated - - -

Overclocking can keep older CPUs more current for a longer period. My 5 year old 2500k is just beginning to show its age and it's overclocked - I'm sure I can squeeze more out of it, so if there is virtually no price difference, I would get a k series. Then later you can consider adding a good cooler and overclocking. If the cost truly is negligible then it's a no brainer for me.

My comment on the RAM was based off something I saw on PCPartPicker which I now assume to be a typo.
    Last edited by willtron; 2016-07-26 at 01:13 PM.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

My mistake, I was using a typo on PCPartPicker that excluded some memory speeds.
    Some motherboards may differ in support of extremely overclocked memory (for example mid-range ASUS boards support up to 3400 while most boards support up to 3800 in dual and 3866 in single channel modes) but for general consumer it doesnt make any difference.

The difference between a i5 6600k and 6500 is 300-400kr. The 6500 is the better bet if you're not going to overclock.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks fine maybe get a cheap CPU cooler too like:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0641-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0134-_-Product

CPU Stockcooler like to be loud and warm.

Looks fine maybe get a cheap CPU cooler too like:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0641-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0134-_-Product

CPU Stockcooler like to be loud and warm.
    Cryorigs are not cheap in Europe. Not even close. This build also doesnt have a stock cooler.

Okay thanks guys

OC is completely out of the picture for me so I wont go with the a K cpu

however between 6500 at 2048 kr or 6600k at 2299 which would be the best? Im already saving not getting the 6600k plus heatsink so out of those 2 which is my best bet? I mean if the diffrence is so small I might as well go with the cheaper 6500 but if its noticeable I dont mind paying the like 250kr difference

- - - Updated - - -

was also thinking of going with Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 2400MHz Ballistix Sport just for now, instead of 16gb and later when I start streaming I can always just get 2 more right as the mobo has 4 slots?

Cryorigs are not cheap in Europe. Not even close. This build also doesnt have a stock cooler.
    No idea whats SEK is and Cryorig is quiet cheap in europe but you need to wait most time 1 month for the cooler .

Okay thanks guys

however between 6500 at 2048 kr or 6600k at 2299 which would be the best? Im already saving not getting the 6600k plus heatsink so out of those 2 which is my best bet? I mean if the diffrence is so small I might as well go with the cheaper 6500 but if its noticeable I dont mind paying the like 250kr difference

- - - Updated - - -

was also thinking of going with Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 2400MHz Ballistix Sport just for now, instead of 16gb and later when I start streaming I can always just get 2 more right as the mobo has 4 slots?
    You can easy upgrade from 8 to 16gb ram.
    If you go for a Z170 board take the 6600K maybe in 2-3 years you think different about overclocking.
    Last edited by Miyagie; 2016-07-26 at 01:58 PM.

No idea whats SEK is and Cryorig is quiet cheap in europe but you need to wait most time 1 month for the cooler .
    Yeah, ordering from the US

Okay thanks guys

- - - Updated - - -

I've just seen webhallen have the i5-6600k for 2199kr inkl delivery. I'd go with that.

Okay thanks guys

- - - Updated - - -

There is literally no point in downgrading anything. Even if you dont overclock the difference between 6500 and 6600K is there (you can save on thermal paste though).

There is literally no point in downgrading anything. Even if you dont overclock the difference between 6500 and 6600K is there (you can save on thermal paste though).
    I miss typed that, it was the 6500 and the 6600 not the 6600K

so cant I just get the 6600? if I get the 6600k I still need to get a heatsink, which is like another 350 kr If I get like a Be quite Pure rock

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gully Man View Post
    I've just seen webhallen have the i5-6600k for 2199kr inkl delivery. I'd go with that.
    Yes that was my original idea, but then I still need to buy a heatsink ontop of that. Hence why I was wondering if its smarter to just get the regurlar non k 6600 to cut my costs more

- - - Updated - - -

Also another things haha I find your posts a bit contradictory, further up you said I could save like 300-400kr if I didnt want the OC option, which I dont
    but now your saying I should get the 6600k anyway? Or did you mean that I should get the 6600 and instead get 6500

Price difference is just to small between the 6600 and 6600K so normal you just pick the K.
    You can also skip the SSD and get it a few month later.
    Oh and you also need a CPU cooler when you pick a 6500 to reduce the noise level.