Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Timewalking - the whys and the how abouts?

I just resubscribed to the game a little over a week ago, SHAME ON ME. So naturally, I have some opinions that I now feel very authorized to share! :P Bare with me.

When I saw that the first weekend I was back for was also, coincidentally a Burning Crusade weekend, I got very giddy. I started in mid-TBC and I loved every minute of it. I loved the dungeons, I ran the hell out of them. I looked up the list of the dungeons in the setup and was pretty happy, if anything, I just wanted to know why we couldn't have all of them! :P Stop just giving us a taste Blizzard, give us the whole feast! They're there, ripe for the taking! I'm happy though, I'm genuinely happy about this. Timewalking is wonderful. I'm happy Blizzard finally took the hint and put it in the game, to some capacity. Lowering my level to whatever I desired as low as 10 in Rift, was always wonderful. Running low level dungeons/zones with friends at that level but getting my actual level's experience and loot was an incredible tool to keep someone's interest and make it more enjoyable and social. I hope Blizzard continues to consider more things with this thought.

Now, here's the part where I want to ask more why and such...

I just looked up the list of dungeons for Wrath. Wha? =X Ahn'Kahet? Pit of Saron? Utgarde Pinnacle? I was around for nearly all of Wrath of the Lich King and if there's one thing I remember, it's that those three were some of the most hated by the end of the expansion. Painfully annoying fights/mechanics, or just grim and dark colors... almost too dark. I realize, yes, this is my opinion, but I really didn't know anyone who would say:

"Hey, Deltrus! Let's go run Pit of Saron!" I heard more groaning when that one popped. Halls of Reflection is also horrible and I'm glad Blizzard didn't include that, but that goes against my original paragraph, however I'd welcome all dungeons being made accessible in the Timewalking fashion.

I just wonder if this choice was very good. I would have much much preferred: Utgarde Keep, Forge of Souls, and I realize a lot of the others have long RP sequences or other gripe-worthy parts/bosses, but take your pick: Violet Hold, Halls of Stone, or I guessssss Azjol Nerub. I actually completely forgot there were two Azjol Nerub-based dungeons! :O I had to look that up, it's been a while. >_>

TL;DR: how do you feel about Timewalking dungeons overall? How do you feel about the dungeon choices? Do you want all dungeons available?

Bonus points: Is it too soon to be going back to Cataclysm heroics? Do we even want to do them? Cataclysm was a pretty rough expansion for Blizzard, I'd honestly rather do Pandaria heroics, or maybe there's some way they could scale Vanilla dungeons. *coughs* I want to run a hard Maraudon! A hard BRD! A hard Dire Maul! etc etc.

Overall: I'm very pleased with Timewalking and I'm glad I decided to toss Blizzard $15 to try the game out again. I don't know what all exactly they've done in the last 13 months, but whatever they did, it's got my full attention, especially Timewalking.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I guess everyone has their preferences; I would absolutely despise violet hold. In my opinion pit of saron is one of the better dungeons in wrath.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aesthir View Post
    I guess everyone has their preferences; I would absolutely despise violet hold. In my opinion pit of saron is one of the better dungeons in wrath.
    To each their own I guess!

I hated the part in PoS where you have to get through the hallway that has the ice falling down. Just annoying.

The part in HoR, however, where the LK was chasing you? Awesome. My friends and I got the LK to 1 HP one time just messing around. It was great. We're gonna make HoR great agai- no.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Bonus points: Is it too soon to be going back to Cataclysm heroics? Do we even want to do them?
    There are Cata Timewalking events already.

Quote Originally Posted by Peukst View Post
    this^ and frankly the cataclysm timewalking dungeons are about the only ones I can stomach. Coming from someone who played BC to death

I enjoy the TW dungeons. They are a change of pace from running the same current ones over and over.

I hope they do some version of TW raids in the future.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Peukst View Post
    I know, what I mean is like, is it too soon/do we want to, anyways? I just feel like Cata was recent and it was pretty rough, but to its credit, naming MoP, well that was more recent, but I personally found MoP overall far superior to Cata, but that's for another thread. ^_^

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saiona View Post
    this^ and frankly the cataclysm timewalking dungeons are about the only ones I can stomach. Coming from someone who played BC to death
    Really? How come? What's wrong with BC/LK dungeons? I mean, I get that we burned through tons of them daily, but at the same time, it's been a LONG time since TBC was current content, unless of course you've been on private servers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DarklingThrush View Post
    I enjoy the TW dungeons. They are a change of pace from running the same current ones over and over.

I hope they do some version of TW raids in the future.
    I'm totally on board with TW raids! Maybe make TW achievements for the raids specifically, like doing certain mechanics right, very similar to Glory of the X Raider, but a TW version, so people can't just go do it at max level and blow through it, ya know?
    "A flower.

Am I the only one who wants to see HoR in the TW rotation? I remember it back in the day and always hectic and fun healing it.
    Holy Priest Enthusiast and all around healing nutcase.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by salmonman78 View Post
    Am I the only one who wants to see HoR in the TW rotation? I remember it back in the day and always hectic and fun healing it.
    I feel like so many people complained about it Blizzard felt it better not to. =X
    "A flower.

Halls of Reflection is a two-boss instance that takes an unreasonably long amount of time even when it goes smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by salmonman78 View Post
    YES! Best most epic dungeon ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercool View Post
    Halls of Reflection is a two-boss instance that takes an unreasonably long amount of time even when it goes smoothly.
    Wasn't it actually 3 bosses?

And yeah, even if you had an overgeared group, it still took a long time because of RP. =/
    "A flower.

Deleted
    The tuning on timewalking always feels too easy to really care for them much, but they're good for what they are. Better to have trivial old dungeons than no dungeons at all and the rewards from the tokens have some nice stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by DarklingThrush View Post
    YES! Best most epic dungeon ever.
    You mean the one where LK makes a clown of himself by slowly walking after you? They'd already done that in every zone while leveling, it was just stupid by the time HOR was released. Lost any chances at appearing threatening long ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    The tuning on timewalking always feels too easy to really care for them much, but they're good for what they are. Better to have trivial old dungeons than no dungeons at all and the rewards from the tokens have some nice stuff.

You mean the one where LK makes a clown of himself by slowly walking after you? They'd already done that in every zone while leveling, it was just stupid by the time HOR was released. Lost any chances at appearing threatening long ago.
    They really didn't tune the dungeons. They simply tuned our gear down.

And frankly, it's still tough for some, especially people who didn't play much, if at all in TBC... I've healed multiple and I healed them back in TBC, but it's obvious to me some of these people have NO CLUE.

Arcatraz and Magister's Terrace are pretty rough...
    "A flower.

They really didn't tune the dungeons. They simply tuned our gear down.
    I understand we get tuned down to suit the dungeon. But does the opposite also apply? If i'm wearing a Wrath piece of gear, does it get tuned up if i'm in a Cata TW dungeon?

Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post

You have every right to your opinion, but I think you're in the minority on this one. See the thread from last month on favorite dungeons, or the one on favorite boss fights, or even the one on favorite WoW music. Halls of Reflection gets nominated a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dexx View Post
    I understand we get tuned down to suit the dungeon. But does the opposite also apply? If i'm wearing a Wrath piece of gear, does it get tuned up if i'm in a Cata TW dungeon?
    You have to be at least 91 for Cata TW dungeons, I believe.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by dexx View Post
    Gear only scales down, not up
    Also you need to be max expansion level+1 to queue for timewalking (tbc 71, wotlk 81, cata 86)

10+ Year Old Account
    Just reviving this thread to ask... is Timewalking going away? Some friends in-game said it was just going away for a couple months so people could focus on Legion, but I was just looking at the calendar in-game and it looked pretty short-lived, unless my calendar doesn't show much further back? Is Timewalking a permanent addition to the game or a temporary thing for people to do at the end of WoD?
    "A flower.

Just reviving this thread to ask... is Timewalking going away? Some friends in-game said it was just going away for a couple months so people could focus on Legion, but I was just looking at the calendar in-game and it looked pretty short-lived, unless my calendar doesn't show much further back? Is Timewalking a permanent addition to the game or a temporary thing for people to do at the end of WoD?
    The just put all of the TWing events in succession at the end here. It will come back in October iirc.