Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    He's gonna need at least a GTX 1080 so he can render all the rare Pepes and dank memes at work. Make sure he has as many RAMs as he can get too, I use at least 64 GB.

/jokes

Good luck upgrading.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Will only work with using sysprep before the procedure, which will reset your Windows activation. Not to mention any other driver problems that can occur after such procedure.
    Well thats a given when changing motherboards, all you gotta do is contact MS to reset it. Im not saying a fresh install isnt ideal of course it is, but this is an OFFICE PC which i dont think you are taking into account.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Well thats a given when changing motherboards, all you gotta do is contact MS to reset it. Im not saying a fresh install isnt ideal of course it is, but this is an OFFICE PC which i dont think you are taking into account.
    This is exactly what I'm taking into account. Office PCs dont really benefit from SSDs and OP probably has limited resources. If SSD were 40-50% more expensive per GB than a regular drive it would be a no brainer, but right now the difference is too big, and is especially noticable compared to the cost of the whole build.

No dude not the SSD (to me thats a given, especially if a 240gb model is sufficient) i mean that it would likely be an easier process to use acronis than trying to back things up onto a usb stick/cd then fresh installing...depending on whats on it.

No dude not the SSD (to me thats a given, especially if a 240gb model is sufficient) i mean that it would likely be an easier process to use acronis than trying to back things up onto a usb stick/cd then fresh installing...depending on whats on it.
    True Image is not simple to use. Universal restore is even more complicated. The simple solution wouldnt include changing a motherboard.

But that also wouldn't achieve what the OP is looking for...

His motherboard supports up to 95w cpu's so that right there cuts off all the better CPU's from that gen that are 125w TDP, even then who knows how many bios updates that board had for CPU support i bet not many.

Deleted
    cant you just call microsoft if you clone the disk and tell them your motherboard broke and you had to replace it?
    or in the worst case, simply input a new windows code in the existing installation?

Deleted
    Old shit is old and spending money on that old rig is waste of money. Sooner or later it will go bad. Tell him that he needs new one, an i3 setup is fairly cheap and will last him for quite a bit:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($110.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($81.89 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: Kingston FURY 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($35.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
    Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($42.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $349.23
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-26 12:52 EDT-0400

Hey guys I appreciate so much input!
    I appreciate how some of you brought it back to what I had originally had asked for.
    Nevertheless having multiple options is def the best way to attack this!
    I'll be presenting my landlord with 3 options later tomorrow. One will be the 200$ build first posted here, the second option will be upgrading either 2 or 3 pieces (RAM, SSD, CPU) and the third will be the 350 dollar build which is a bit more expensive than anything I had imagined!

To add to the confusion did we ever agree on the software to xfer over all his information along with the OS?

If I were to upgrade only Motherboard, CPU, and RAM OR (CPU, RAM, SSD) I could use my 400W PSU i have in my closet and sell it to him much cheaper. Is there any way you guys could help me find some of those 3 parts?

Thanks a million once again!

Quote Originally Posted by fabific View Post
    Hey guys I appreciate so much input!
    I appreciate how some of you brought it back to what I had originally had asked for.
    Nevertheless having multiple options is def the best way to attack this!
    I'll be presenting my landlord with 3 options later tomorrow. One will be the 200$ build first posted here, the second option will be upgrading either 2 or 3 pieces (RAM, SSD, CPU) and the third will be the 350 dollar build which is a bit more expensive than anything I had imagined!

To add to the confusion did we ever agree on the software to xfer over all his information along with the OS?

If I were to upgrade only Motherboard, CPU, and RAM OR (CPU, RAM, SSD) I could use my 400W PSU i have in my closet and sell it to him much cheaper. Is there any way you guys could help me find some of those 3 parts?

Thanks a million once again!
    No matter what direction you go, get an SSD he'll notice the boot speeds.

The motherboard is too old to do any real upgrading, depending on how much you want to spend this is what id do:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($58.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Asus H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($15.98 @ Newegg)
    Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $229.95
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-26 08:40 EDT-0400

You could re-use his case and PSU and clone his hard drive to the SSD with included acronis migration software. This is about the cheapest i could suggest for a real upgrade, you could save money if you knew how much storage he had on his PC now (could drop down to a 250 or possibly 128gb ssd).
    Hey bud, I was about to start ordering these parts when I saw that the motherboard was out of stock from newegg! My manager liked the set up and is going to reduce my rent this month to cover the parts!

Hey bud, I was about to start ordering these parts when I saw that the motherboard was out of stock from newegg! My manager liked the set up and is going to reduce my rent this month to cover the parts!
    This will work just as good:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3938566&SID=

You decide on what your gonna do to transfer the data to the new build? The clean install may be the better option, depending on how much stuff you would need to transfer over from the old one.

I actually don't know, If the software is easy to use I think I'll use it. If my landlord has very litte amount of stuff I think I'll just connect his harddrive plus the SSD and manually transfer the stuff!

I actually don't know, If the software is easy to use I think I'll use it. If my landlord has very litte amount of stuff I think I'll just connect his harddrive plus the SSD and manually transfer the stuff!
    Cool beans, also you could save ~50 bucks or so if a 250gb ssd is enough for him, just something to keep in mind : )