Question Let's Talk Healing...

I've done some Mythics as Holy Priest since the patch and it felt ok, but not a whole lot of fun. So I dusted off my Mistweaver with the Legion changes and thought I'd try them out. It is a lot of fun, and I'm getting the hang of it, but I have a few questions.

First, what is our "big" single target heal? Is it a TFT empowered Effuse? I know I'm a bit spoiled by my priest's new Holy Word spell that heals for a billion (on a 60 second cooldown that you can reduce quite a bit), but I feel like I'm missing some kind of "oh-shit" button when Life Cocoon is down.

Second, mana. I think maybe this is common in pre-patch, but am I alone in having mana issues? Maybe i'm casting too many Essence Fonts or hammering Vivify, but I was finding myself low a bit early in some fights.

Last, throughput. I felt mostly ok with this one, but I seemed to lag a bit behind other healers (though gear could have been a factor). It seems to me that the key to being a "good" MW is going to be getting the most out of Thunder Focus Tea; am I focusing too much on that?

Sorry, not really trying to ask noob questions, I just wanted to spark a bit of discussion on what I see as the major points of consideration for any healer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossMonk View Post
    First, what is our "big" single target heal? Is it a TFT empowered Effuse?
    Pretty much, with EnM on the target it's a pretty decent heal right now.

Second, mana. I think maybe this is common in pre-patch, but am I alone in having mana issues?
    All healers have man problems if they spam pretty much everything they have.

It seems to me that the key to being a "good" MW is going to be getting the most out of Thunder Focus Tea; am I focusing too much on that?
    Nope you're not TFT usage is very important as your answer to damage being taken by either one person, or mulptiple persons and anything in between.

Sorry, not really trying to ask noob questions...
    ..don't worry, that's ok, that's what forums are for, to communicate and help

Quote Originally Posted by Charityx View Post
    Thanks for the link to the sticky. I'd already read and considered every post, and it's great as a catch-all, but I thought something a bit more specific would be acceptable. Should we just make all our posts in that one thread? I'm not sure that's really the best way to use a forum, but i'm a guest here.

for 5 mans take:

chi burst
    whatever you like
    mist wrap
    leg sweep
    healing elixirs
    chi-ji
    focused thunder

how to play:
    - use ReM on CD
    - use chi-ji at the start of boss fights to help smooth healing, or 15-20 seconds into those fights

if tank takes moderate damage then envelop + soothing is enough to heal him/her
    if 5 people take damage (mass aoe) use essence font / UT vivify (ut = uplifting trance, the buff to vivify from ReM)
    if tank takes lots of damage then envelop + spam effuse
    if group takes a lot of damage spam essence font (w/ TFT charge if you need to move too) + use revival here

LC is your tank CD but it can also be used to soak a lot of damage a DPS takes from playing badly

Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post
    for 5 mans take:

chi burst
    whatever you like
    mist wrap
    leg sweep
    healing elixirs
    chi-ji
    focused thunder

how to play:
    - use ReM on CD
    - use chi-ji at the start of boss fights to help smooth healing, or 15-20 seconds into those fights

if tank takes moderate damage then envelop + soothing is enough to heal him/her
    if 5 people take damage (mass aoe) use essence font / UT vivify (ut = uplifting trance, the buff to vivify from ReM)
    if tank takes lots of damage then envelop + spam effuse
    if group takes a lot of damage spam essence font (w/ TFT charge if you need to move too) + use revival here

LC is your tank CD but it can also be used to soak a lot of damage a DPS takes from playing badly
    Chi Burst if you can manage not pulling extra trash packs with it, otherwise Zen Pulse for excellent tank healing during trash packs.
    Mist Wrap is default Level 45 talent for Mistweaver
    You can go Focused Thunder or Rising Thunder for 5 mans.

Light Single Target: Effuse and Soothing Mist channel
    Heavy Single Target: Enveloping Mist + Effuse spam
    Light Group: Vivify
    Heavy Group: Essence Font, using Vivify on lowest health targets for double mastery procs.

Always have Renewing Mist on Cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by Garg View Post
    You can go Focused Thunder or Rising Thunder for 5 mans.
    I'd say using RT to it's potential is a bit too difficult (if even possible) on 5-mans, so I'd go for FT pretty much always.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Desma View Post
    I'd say using RT to it's potential is a bit too difficult (if even possible) on 5-mans, so I'd go for FT pretty much always.
    You should be dpsing on bosses as much as possible as healers anyway. So it's not like it's "difficult" to weave in RSK.

Quote Originally Posted by Supliftz View Post
    You should be dpsing on bosses as much as possible as healers anyway. So it's not like it's "difficult" to weave in RSK.
    I did not really talk about only bosses, but 5-mans in general. 5-mans are just built in a way that the boss encounters are only a small part of the whole dungeon.

10+ Year Old Account
    correct, that's why you only really take RT on easier 5 mans because it's the better talent for bosses.

For mana? Go rising thunder. I don't really like it as a talent as it feels like fistweaving has awkwardly been shoved back into the game for this one thing. Unfortunately the mana boost is insane. Before I used it I was finishing fights with an empty mana bar. Now I often sit on about 80% or so for the entire fight. Just stay close to the mobs, kick/tea/vivify and repeat whenever possible along with weaving in renewing mists and enveloping mists on the tank.

TBH though I wish they'd change it and make it less useful. At the minute I feel forced to take it and lifecycles.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm almost positive if you spent every TFT generated from RT on vivify, it wouldn't eclipse mana tea raw mana sustain.

This is also completely ignoring the fact those 9 gcds spent on RSK could of been 9 GCD's spent on Soothing Mist, which results in (55*3*9) = 1485% soothing mist healing alone.

This may be a bit against the grain here, but I've found great success using RJW (20% to EF) + Mana Tea + Essence Font for topping groups. I just don't like Chi Ji for some reason, can't seem to let go of RJW, especially with the 20% to EF.
    I've also played around with Mistwrap + class trinket in melee groups and it actually does a considerable amount with soothing being pretty much endless after an EnM on the tank. TFT + Vivifies for big healing on 2-3. With these combos there's really never a time that I need to blow my load if I play it right. I usually end all trash/boss fights 60%+. Again I know this might not be ideal outside of 5-mans, but hopefully it helps anyone struggling with mana conservation outside of raiding.

Quote Originally Posted by Awsyme View Post
    For mana? Go rising thunder. I don't really like it as a talent as it feels like fistweaving has awkwardly been shoved back into the game for this one thing. Unfortunately the mana boost is insane. Before I used it I was finishing fights with an empty mana bar. Now I often sit on about 80% or so for the entire fight. Just stay close to the mobs, kick/tea/vivify and repeat whenever possible along with weaving in renewing mists and enveloping mists on the tank.

TBH though I wish they'd change it and make it less useful. At the minute I feel forced to take it and lifecycles.
    So here's the problem with that idea. You're not getting free vivifies from that. You're getting 50% cost vivifies as RSK takes 3600 mana to Vivify's 7200. Meanwhile, Focused Thunder would give you 2 actually free vivifies. In order for Rising Thunder to match Focused Thunder in potential mana savings you have to have enough haste to get get RSK's cooldown to 7.25 seconds. Which is a lot of haste. That's without missing an opportunity to use it, as well as then spending 4 GCDs on RSK to get the same effect as simply one use of TFT with Rising Thunder.