Deleted

Which parts should I upgrade for better wow performance?

Budget : Around 600$
    Resolution: 1080
    Games / Settings Desired: Wow medium/high

Current set up:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K overclocked to 4,4Ghz
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V LX
    Memory: Kingston 1600 2x4GB
    Storage: Western Digital 1TB
    Video Card: GTX 660
    Case: Antec 300
    Power Supply: Seasonic 620w

Deleted
    Cpu is fine really and gpu is not bad either. If you play other games too that are more gpu demanding i would get a gtx1060 and 256 or 500gb ssd. I guess you could grab a gtx1070 (intended more for 1440p than 1080p atm) in the sense that it will last you longer since you have the budget.

out of interest, what kind of performance are you getting right now? and what are you expecting out of an upgrade?

Deleted
    In raids and dungeons no issues at all, but everywhere else orgrimmar,dalaran,shrine,garrison,isle of thunder etc for instance the game keeps freezing and lagging when moving or turning the camera. Fps will suddenly drop from 60 to 20-40 for a millisecond and then go back up making the game freeze. Legion dalaran is literally unplayable. Im using graphic level 5-6 turning it to the lowest setting does help with the issue but I dont want to play on setting 1. Always had the problem but legion pre patch made it 100 times worse. Not sure really what could be causing the issue but Ive been planning to get a new cpu and motherboard since current is 5 years old. Would Intel Core i5-6600K overclocked at 4,4-4,5 outperform i5-2500k by a lot?

I have a 4.2ghz 2500k and a gtx 760 i play on preset 7 with cmaa AA and i have none of the issues you are talking about. A 760 is faster than a 660 but it shouldnt be that noticeable in a game like WoW. When is the last time you did a clean install of your operating system? And no, a 6600k is really not a worthwhile upgrade for your 2500k in my opinion, we need to wait at least until kaby lake.

Deleted
    Never but If I upgrade to the free windows 10 is that the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by elissa View Post
    Never but If I upgrade to the free windows 10 is that the same thing?
    Well thats a start lol, do the windows 10 upgrade before its not free (why are people so hesitant to do this?)

Do the upgrade and if things still arent running good go to recovery>reset this pc. It will delete all your data so make sure to back up important stuff onto a cd/usb stick. You shouldnt have to worry about drivers or anything, windows 10 is really awesome about finding all the drivers (but i do suggest using geforce experience for nvidia drivers).

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    I am running a very similar system (2500K OCed to 4.5 Ghz), and just upgraded from a GTX 570 to a GTX 1070.

I am now running everything at max (Game setting at 10), and still average around 90-100 fps on a 3440 X 1440 monitor. Only time it dips below 60 fps is during raids, where I have seen 35-40 fps, and that is most likely the CPU being the bottleneck.

If you are running at only 1080p, you will likely be able to run everything on ultra even with a 1060. So unless you plan on upgrading your monitor in the near future, I would say the 1070 is an overkill.

Out of curiosity what is the exact model of your hard drive?

Also make sure your mods are up to date, they can really drag wow's performance down.

Deleted
    Pretty sure its this : Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Ive had all addons disabled since the pre patch.
    And thanks for the advice, Ill try installing windows 10 and reinstalling wow

Deleted
    Thats a terrible hard drive to have o/s and any games on it. Its intented to be a storage only drive and even then its not really good either. Grab a samsung 850evo or crucial MX 220 ssd like i mentioned. About win10, the free upgrade ends in a few days, last day of month so do it fast. Do the win10 upgrade to your current hdd. when you get the ssd do a fresh win10 install from a usb stick by downloading win10 from MS and use the usb toolkit to make a bootable win10 stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    About win10, the free upgrade ends in a few days, last day of month so do it fast.
    I believe it ends on the 29th actually.

I actually would recommend an SSD for an upgrade.

It does help with gaming more than people consider, especially games that load data for the world as they move through it.

An SSD is just beyond light years in regards to performance of a 5400rpm HD.

That HD should be relegated to storage only.

Yeah get rid of that green drive for OS/games it's terrible, I used to have microstutters with mine, they are made to go into sleep mode after only a couple seconds of inactivity and have to spin up again everytime the game needs more data. I swapped them out for black drives and no more stuttering. Ofc that was years ago, get an SSD now for OS and games that stream a lot of data like WoW.

Deleted
    So I downloaded windows 10 and 90% of the freezing is now gone. :O Everything was running smoothly today, the problem was actually completely gone from everywhere else except legion dalaran but a lot less even there. Ill still also be buying a SSD, should be useful since my current is apparently so horrible^ thanks for all the advice

Quote Originally Posted by elissa View Post
    So I downloaded windows 10 and 90% of the freezing is now gone. :O Everything was running smoothly today, the problem was actually completely gone from everywhere else except legion dalaran but a lot less even there. Ill still also be buying a SSD, should be useful since my current is apparently so horrible^ thanks for all the advice
    Glad to hear it, you just made the deadline windows 10 free upgrades end in two days lol. And from everything ive read legion dalaran is crazy laggy even for people with 5k dollar PC's (i watch towelliee stream sometimes, he even gets lag there)