Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Alliance satisfied yet

After three expansions of cries of horde favoritism, with only Cataclysm actually having a legit issue or two, will the Alliance finally admit there's no horde bias and that the story simply shifts in different directions?

In Legion so far, we have:

The horde once again forced into a traditionally Alliance city, and not only that, one we were violently expelled from in MoP. No hint of apology from the Kirin Tor, they act as if it was all our fault because one or two sunreavers worked with Garrosh.

Three of the five zones are filled with night elf related lore, tied to the Alliance via night elves more strongly than any horde race, even blood elves. Meanwhile there's one zone of tauren related lore. I'm not counting Stormheim since the faction story there is equal for both and the vrykul stuff is neutral.

The Night Elf triumverate are all major characters. Horde have to help out Malfurion and Tyrande.

Horde rogues have to have their campaign be all about saving an alliance group, SI 7, from the demons.

Varian is dying as a fitting end to his story arc starting in the comics and progressing through several stories and expansions, and passing the torch on to Anduin, a character who is likewise growing wonderfully as a character. Vol'jin dies after doing **** all as warchief so that Sylvannas can be warchief now because it's her turn and apparently we have to have a new leader every expansion now. This leaves the trolls with no actual leader fyi.

Two of the comics have been focused more on alliance characters, Moira and Anduin.

We go to the Exodar to save it from demons and it's implied Velen and the draenei will have a big role to play in the patches to come.

And yet, despite all this, despite there being hardly anything for the horde and loads for the Alliance, night elves especially, you don't hear cries of us horde players shouting ALLIANCE FAVORITISM. Will those whining about 'horde privilege' kindly apologize now and admit that they were wrong, that Blizz isn't out to screw over the Alliance and the story is simply going to shift over time? And no, spending an expansion killing alternate versions of horde heroes is not a 'horde centric' expansion. Neither was the expansion where they made Garrosh go full on evil so that the Alliance could raid our capital and we had to tag along.

if people stop treating wow's lore like theyre watching a football game then sure, but that'll never happen
    Last edited by MilesMcStyles; 2016-07-27 at 01:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    But Theramore has been destroyed!

Quote Originally Posted by Benomatic View Post
    But Theramore has been destroyed!
    Horde posters still complain about Taurajo six years after the fact, and after Baine said it was a valid military target.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalazar View Post
    After three expansions of cries of horde favoritism, with only Cataclysm actually having a legit issue or two, will the Alliance finally admit there's no horde bias and that the story simply shifts in different directions?
    Blizz admitted that they simply ran out time for the Alliance's story in Cata. So I would say there's more than an issue or two there. Hell, Chris Metzan himself addressed the issue by admitting that maybe the creative team finds the Horde lore more interesting to write about.
    Anyway no, there were issues in other expansions as well.

MOP:
    Theramore is destroyed.
    The Darkspear Rebellion storyline. The Horde got an assault on Razor Hill. The Alliance got a remote controlled cat.

WoD:
    The Iron Horde destroy Netherguard Keep, while the Horde equivalent is simply captured. The Horde retake it by the end of the quest line.
    The story was mostly about how awesome Grom was (despite the fact that he was waging a campaign of genocide against an Alliance race) for resisting Gul'dan.

Legion:
    The horde once again forced into a traditionally Alliance city, and not only that, one we were violently expelled from in MoP. No hint of apology from the Kirin Tor, they act as if it was all our fault because one or two sunreavers worked with Garrosh.
    You say that's a sign of Alliance bias. I would argue otherwise. Dalaran was a firmly Alliance-centric city and the Kirin Tor an Alliance faction up until they were turned neutral for WotLK.
    In MoP Blizzard talked up the Purge of Dalaran as being a big "fist bump" moment for the Alliance. And hey, I'm not looking to start that debate again. Just saying that, at the end of it all, the Alliance had their faction of magi back.
    Now? The Kirin Tor and Dalaran are becoming neutral once more. So no. It irkes me as an Alliance fan, because once again a prominent part of Alliance lore is being shared with the Horde. Why can't Blizz build Silvermoon up as the Horde's mage-centric city? Why can't the Sunreavers be their mage order? Why does the Alliance need to share the Kirin Tor with the Horde? Why does the big Alliance "fist bump" moment have to be undone?

And yet, despite all this, despite there being hardly anything for the horde and loads for the Alliance, night elves especially, you don't hear cries of us horde players shouting ALLIANCE FAVORITISM. Will those whining about 'horde privilege' kindly apologize now and admit that they were wrong, that Blizz isn't out to screw over the Alliance and the story is simply going to shift over time?
    You have legitinate points about the Alliance-centric lore of Legion. I disagree about Dalaran, but whatever. Big picture? I think you're right about Legion.
    Thing is though...in Cata I had to be BFFs with Thrall and be the best man at his wedding. So Horde players palling around with Tyrande and Malfurion? Sorry, I'm not feeling for you.
    Two of the last three expansions were incredibly Horde-centric. Cata was all about the Horde's internal politics and territorial expansion, while the Alliance lost ground pretty much everywhere. WoD was an ode to the classic Horde characters. So an expansion that digs into Alliance lore is welcome. Truth be told? We haven't had an expansion this steeped in Alliance lore since WotLK.

Finally? I won't apologize for complaining about Horde privilege for the reasons I went to at the start of this. Metzen himself admitted that the writing team had more fun writing for the Horde, and Blizz admitted that they ran out time for the Allinace's story in Cata. Compare how you get to Twilight Highlands for the Horde compared to the Alliance for an easy example.
    Now I will say that yes, they've gotten MUCH better about story balance since then (it's been a gradual improvement, to be sure). So legit kudos. I won't apologize for comments that were true at the time though.
    Last edited by Disreali; 2016-07-27 at 02:36 PM.

WoW isn't a football game or you know, real life.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Metzen admitting that the creative team finds Horde lore more interesting to write about...

Quote Originally Posted by Daralii View Post
    Horde posters still complain about Taurajo six years after the fact, and after Baine said it was a valid military target.
    It was a hunting camp.
    Baine is an idiot
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

IMO, Jaina has no right to be pissed about Theramore or the Sunreavers stealing the bell from the Alliance. She was garrisoning Alliance troops in Theramore which made it into a legitimate enemy target right on Orgrimmar's front doorstep. Of course Garrosh was gonna take it out with a preemptive strike. On top of that, Jaina used the Kirin Tor to aid the Alliance in taking the bell, and it's not like Garrosh had any reason to think that Varian wouldn't use it as a weapon against the Horde, especially considering the main reason Varian didn't try using it was because Anduin convinced him not to. At the end of the day, Jaina betrayed the Horde by not maintaining Theramore's or the Kirin Tor's neutrality before the Horde ever betrayed her.

Why do people feel the need to be all petty and shit?

I play both factions, any story and development will entertain me eventually... But I have to say that killing Vol'Jin after such a short time, is a douche move by Blizzard...

7+ Year Old Account
    It was a hunting camp.
    How you can compare camp with big port city? Hell Horde mana bombed Alliance druid school in Stonetalon Mountains.

Baine is an idiot
    Maybe its you? I mean you called game character idiot only because you don't agree with his opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

I play both factions, any story and development will entertain me eventually... But I have to say that killing Vol'Jin after such a short time, is a douche move by Blizzard...
    Yea and killing Taylor in WoD just because his counter part in Horde died at SoO was douche move too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    They never wanted Vol'jin as Warchief. The plan, which they alluded to at the time, was for Thrall to retake the title of Warchief after Garrosh was ousted. The reaction to more Green Jesus was so strong, even among Horde players, that they called an audible and gave it to Vol'jin. Problem was they had no idea for that beyond "hey let's make Vol'jin Warchief because everyone's tired of Thrall."
    So it's shitty, but not surprising, that they got rid of him as soon as they could.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwhale View Post
    Yea and killing Taylor in WoD just because his counter part in Horde died at SoO was douche move too.
    They are both undead now and as such still part of the story.

Deleted
    Admiral Taylor getting killed in a quest and forever forgotten in the abomination continent Draenor was.

It was a hunting camp that was no threat.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Taylor's killed, becomes a follower, and then disappears from the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanjin View Post
    It was a hunting camp that was no threat.
    Southshore says hello.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalazar View Post
    And yet, despite all this, despite there being hardly anything for the horde and loads for the Alliance, night elves especially, you don't hear cries of us horde players shouting ALLIANCE FAVORITISM.
    Oh, the irony... And what is your post then?

Quote Originally Posted by Disreali View Post
    Thing is though...in Cata I had to be BFFs with Thrall and be the best man at his wedding. So Horde players palling around with Tyrande and Malfurion? Sorry, I'm not feeling for you.
    This, was the most annoying part of Cata for me. I don't care about Twillight Highlands intro, or Allaince gains not being in game (ok, I care a little for the former one), but being forced to watch Thrall weeding amid chaos and destruction was just too much bs.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Thunder Focus Tea can now be combined with a bit of milk and a few drops of vanilla extract to produce a lovely hot beverage for all seasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    But undead are Horde... so Horde favoritism.

Quote Originally Posted by Disreali View Post
    Two of the last three expansions were incredibly Horde-centric.
    I'd argue that even MoP wasn't that Alliance-centric either. It was definitely more even than Cata, but Ally lore wasn't written that much better, to the extent that Horde lore was in Cata... Basically all we had was Dalaran, and the subsequent questing with Jaina and Vereesa and the rest of the Kirin-Tor Offensive at Island of Thunder. We had some great character development with Anduin, but we had a horrible one with Tyrande and the whole Patience scenario as well.

In fact, the whole High King route they took with Varian was uncalled for and it just proves that they don't know how to handle the Alliance. We're different from the Horde because all of our races are independent and they don't need to bow down to a centralized figure of power like a Warchief or a High King. We're bound by principle and not strength nor convenience. It is easier, however, to focus on one character instead of 7 completely different races with completely different cultures and power structure. There was no need to make Varian High King, he's King of Stormwind and that was enough.

I couldn't agree more with Disreali. Every time they try to give some attention to the Alliance, they just make it clear that they don't really understand what draws players to it in the first place. It shows that the Devs either understand the Horde much better, or care more about it, because its story is often written much better. I'll admit that it is much easier to please Horde players, give them some badass combat in war and they're pretty much pleased. The fault we have as Alliance players is that we expect our lore to be different, to have badass combat for sure, but to have all of our races to contribute to the faction on their own unique way... We expect our heroes to remain loyal, and not to become neutral (Tirion, Khadgar, Magni it seems and I'll bet Turalyon and Alleria will be neutral as well). I really don't believe devs allienate the Alliance on purpose, they do it because the Horde is much more interesting to them while the Alliance, to them, is just some Tolkianesque fantasy cliché in the way.
    Last edited by helonjr; 2016-07-27 at 02:36 PM.