Thread: New pc advice

New pc advice

Hello, I'm looking for some advice on purchasing a new pc. I want a pc that can run wow pretty smoothly in a raid setting (preferably on a decent graphic setting). I dont know anything about building my own pc, or what parts are even good. My budget is $1000-$1200, not looking for anything spectacular, but i think that would be good enough to play wow. So i was looking for maybe a pretty good pre built pc i could get or something? Because i just have no idea what im doing when it comes to computer parts. Any help or advice on the situation would be greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Aequitess View Post
    Hello, I'm looking for some advice on purchasing a new pc. I want a pc that can run wow pretty smoothly in a raid setting (preferably on a decent graphic setting). I dont know anything about building my own pc, or what parts are even good. My budget is $1000-$1200, not looking for anything spectacular, but i think that would be good enough to play wow. So i was looking for maybe a pretty good pre built pc i could get or something? Because i just have no idea what im doing when it comes to computer parts. Any help or advice on the situation would be greatly appreciated
    Hey, I just upgraded the core of my PC. Here's some pieces for reference:

- RX 480 8GB Graphics Card (kind of the gold standard in mid-ranged cards right now - make sure to update to at least the Crimson driver if you get this RIGHT AWAY).
    - H170 Gaming 3 Motherboard (had everything I needed and got a sick deal for $60)
    - Had a 600 watt power supply, but anything 550W in general will work on most builds
    - 16GB RAM (2400, compatible)
    - PNY 240GB Sold State Hard Drive (make sure you're familiar with transferring Windows via an .iso file + your product key if you do this), unless you're buying a new Windows.
    - Core i5-6500 (I don't overclock so I don't need the 6600k version)

My local computer store had all this on sale for around $600. I already had the case and power supply though, and run HDMI through a TV so I didn't need any peripherals.

I'm sitting at 5/10 graphics setting under the new Legion-esque requirements and the game runs smooth as a whistle. Looks very good. 97-99 FPS, I could def up the settings but I loveeeee smooth gameplay.

Good luck man!

- - - Updated - - -

Additional advice: I thought about getting a micro motherboard to save money (before I found this deal) but am so glad I didn't. The RX 480 card is huge, the size of a brick.

- - - Updated - - -

Another edit: i see you wanted something pre-built, which will cost you a good penny more. But I understand any hesitation for someone that hasn't done it before. FYI, this was my first attempt and I found it rather simple as I took it slow. Ask your friends to see if you know someone who can give advice?

I suggest watching the videos on how to build your own PC. This forum will advice on components and compatibility. If you decide that you're comfortable doing it please fill out this form. If you dont then we will advice on pre-build PC (note that it will be at least 30% more expensive for the same performance).

Quote Originally Posted by RussW210 View Post
    Hey, I just upgraded the core of my PC. Here's some pieces for reference:

- RX 480 8GB Graphics Card (kind of the gold standard in mid-ranged cards right now - make sure to update to at least the Crimson driver if you get this RIGHT AWAY).
    - H170 Gaming 3 Motherboard (had everything I needed and got a sick deal for $60)
    - Had a 600 watt power supply, but anything 550W in general will work on most builds
    - 16GB RAM (2400, compatible)
    - PNY 240GB Sold State Hard Drive (make sure you're familiar with transferring Windows via an .iso file + your product key if you do this), unless you're buying a new Windows.
    - Core i5-6500 (I don't overclock so I don't need the 6600k version)

My local computer store had all this on sale for around $600. I already had the case and power supply though, and run HDMI through a TV so I didn't need any peripherals.

I'm sitting at 5/10 graphics setting under the new Legion-esque requirements and the game runs smooth as a whistle. Looks very good. 97-99 FPS, I could def up the settings but I loveeeee smooth gameplay.

Good luck man!

- - - Updated - - -

Additional advice: I thought about getting a micro motherboard to save money (before I found this deal) but am so glad I didn't. The RX 480 card is huge, the size of a brick.

- - - Updated - - -

Another edit: i see you wanted something pre-built, which will cost you a good penny more. But I understand any hesitation for someone that hasn't done it before. FYI, this was my first attempt and I found it rather simple as I took it slow. Ask your friends to see if you know someone who can give advice?

Hey, thanks for the response! I was suggested on another forum, a CyberpowerPC Desktop Computer Gamer Xtreme S107 Intel Core i5 6th Gen 6600 (3.30 GHz) 8 GB DDR4 2 TB HDD AMD Radeon RX 480 Windows 10 Home 64-bit. I would post the link, but i dont have permission to yet. Thoughts?

If you have a monitor already, this is a 1440p build. Downgrade video card to GTX 1060/ RX 480 for a monitor.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/GH9tpb
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/GH9tpb/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($238.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($92.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($66.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Adorama)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($429.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.89 @ OutletPC)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($77.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $1099.20
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-27 14:30 EDT-0400
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2016-07-27 at 06:33 PM.