Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    I doubt that the money will shut them down. Blizzard made a Arcade Spitlight (linked above in my post) during (or after) the kickstarter and didn't intervene back then.
    FWIW, I hope you're correct. I want it to be awesome... 'cause I plan on checking it out.

Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    Short, you didn't read any of the posts above yours. Shouted "omg scam!" without thinking and are now quickly trying to correct yourself. Just admit you were wrong and give up.
    Or I looked at the Kickstarter & IndieGoGo? Neither of them make it abundantly clear it's just an Arcade Mode in the Starcraft game. They elude to it slightly, but first impression is that they're trying to make a Starcraft MMO stand alone.

Don't try and get snarky with me mate.

Deleted
    As far as i remember donations are ok as long as not asked in game or in the game description on the arcade and that ultimately the map is free

For those wondering if its legal. From the indiegogo page.

"Is this legal!?

Yes. Blizzard has approved crowd funding for custom games in the past, including ours, so long as they comply with their Acceptable Terms of Use Policy."

Its also pretty clear that this isnt a stand alone game and is only playable through battle.net on sc2 starter edition.

"StarCraft Universe (SCU) is a game mod (Note: it is not a standalone game) for StarCraft II. Originally named World of StarCraft, SCU focuses on telling an epic story, intense combat action, and space exploration. StarCraft Universe is played though the StarCraft II Arcade on Battle.net."

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/s...cial-release#/

I'm completely curious

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Less than $1,000,000 to make a new MMO based off an exisiting license that they've not bought or been given the right to use?

What a fucking joke. I hate people like this, I really do.

Edit: They're claiming you can play it through Battle.net! How is this even allowed to remain on Kickstarter & IndieGoGo? It's literally the most obvious scam I've ever seen!
    Except last I checked, which was last year, you could play it in the Starcraft Arcade. It's not a scam it is an actually game, a game which I have played and can confirm it is actually a thing lol

Well then, that's a thing I guess. I might check this out later.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    I thought these guys got shut down by blizz?
    Blizzard told them to change the name so people wouldn't think it was an official Blizzard project.

Deleted
    It's now been published on the official SC2 Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Starcraft.eu/?fref=nf

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazorf View Post
    It's now been published on the official SC2 Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Starcraft.eu/?fref=nf
    I didn't see it at first. So, to help alleviate anyone else's confusion until it shows up...

You may get redirected from the Starcraft EU page to a different version. The option to view the page you were redirected from appears by the display picture on the page. At the time of this post, the Starcraft page doesn't show it, but the Starcraft.eu version does.

Not going to give them a dime on kickstarter because I don't trust them. But I will probably give the game a try. I like the concept, at least.

Wow. That looks really damn good. Might have to check that out.

I still think a Starcraft MMO would be really awesome. If Blizzard ever decided to do a "World of Starcraft" game, I'd play the shit out of it.

This really pushes to the limits of copyright infringement. Being a mod for Blizzard's existing game is sort of the loophole here, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    This really pushes to the limits of copyright infringement. Being a mod for Blizzard's existing game is sort of the loophole here, but still...
    Well, mod is a third-party MODIFICATION of another game. This is a direct and intended *part* of the original game that complies with Blizzard's official terms of use. If every Starcraft 2 map was shut down simply for having Starcraft units, lore, and names.... it'd completely defeat the point of allowing custom maps at all. (let alone the functionality of the SC2 Arcade)

So its kinda like saying "Well, 50 mph is too !#$%ing fast, even though the speedlimit says 55mph, I hope the cop sees them and gives them a speeding ticket!"

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Dude, seriously it doesn't. It's being produced ON Blizzard's game. It's using their assets, which were provided for community use. Blizz could literally shut it down in an instant. Obviously they don't want to. This isn't any different from, say, DOTA back in the WC3 days.
    Last edited by Jetstream; 2016-07-31 at 11:37 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    Didn't they have a Kickstarter?

EDIT: They did, and now they also have an IndieGoGo. That seems kinda fishy.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...craft-universe

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/s...cial-release#/
    Why? The kickstarter was for the project, the IndieGoGo is for support after release. Remember, they can't sell the game, only get funded since it's a custom game.

- - - Updated - - -

Less than $1,000,000 to make a new MMO based off an exisiting license that they've not bought or been given the right to use?

What a fucking joke. I hate people like this, I really do.

Edit: They're claiming you can play it through Battle.net! How is this even allowed to remain on Kickstarter & IndieGoGo? It's literally the most obvious scam I've ever seen!
    How is it ever a scam? jesus you people, do some research

- - - Updated - - -

Or I looked at the Kickstarter & IndieGoGo? Neither of them make it abundantly clear it's just an Arcade Mode in the Starcraft game. They elude to it slightly, but first impression is that they're trying to make a Starcraft MMO stand alone.

Don't try and get snarky with me mate.
    If you have StarCraft II installed, click the links below to play on the US region. Players on other regions will need to search manually in the Arcade.
    StarCraft Universe (SCU) is a game mod (Note: it is not a standalone game) for StarCraft II. Originally named World of StarCraft, SCU focuses on telling an epic story, intense combat action, and space exploration. StarCraft Universe is played though the StarCraft II Arcade on Battle.net.

Do you need your reading glasses?
    Oh look, more

Will I need to own StarCraft II or its expansions to play this?

NOPE! The StarCraft II: Starter Edition, which is FREE, is all you will need to play StarCraft Universe!

And more

What's the difference between a standalone game and a mod?

Most mods are like mini-games, but like StarCraft Universe, some are complete re-workings of the StarCraft II engine which make the game play completely differently than it was originally designed. These custom games are created using the map editing program included with StarCraft II and are published online through Battle.net.
    Last edited by mmocae1868ef01; 2016-08-01 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    I don't see why they would. It's being made IN StarCraft 2, you have to have a battle.net account to play the thing. Why would Blizzard bother shutting them down? It'll sell them more games.
    Blizzard has killed off plenty of other add ons before. This one fundamentally alters the game. Once it comes out that they make money off of it or they come anywhere close to a legal issue with Blizzard this will be shut down.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Blizzard has killed off plenty of other add ons before. This one fundamentally alters the game. Once it comes out that they make money off of it or they come anywhere close to a legal issue with Blizzard this will be shut down.
    No, because it has been endorsed by Blizzard, hell they even fucking promoted it on Facebook. The only thing they had to do was change name and not take money from making the game. Funding them through IndieGoGo is fully supported by Blizzard and has been for several custom games on SC2 Arcade

Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    No, because it has been endorsed by Blizzard, hell they even fucking promoted it on Facebook. The only thing they had to do was change name and not take money from making the game. Funding them through IndieGoGo is fully supported by Blizzard and has been for several custom games on SC2 Arcade
    All that stuff after "no" doesn't change or apply to what I said. I didn't say they will shut it down or are trying to.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    All that stuff after "no" doesn't change or apply to what I said. I didn't say they will shut it down or are trying to.
    Once it comes out that they make money off of it or they come anywhere close to a legal issue with Blizzard this will be shut down.
    It does. 10char