Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Cause your radio is racist?
    Apparently my radio needs to check its privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    An elaborate lie by crayon manufacturers.
    Crayola = Illuminati confirmed!

When you really think about the speed of light it's insanely fast when being used on earth or around our atmosphere but when used in a much broader sense for example traveling from one galaxy to another it's incredibly slow. Surely there must be something faster than light we just haven't discovered yet. Will it really take us thousands of years to go from one galaxy to another in let's say 3 million years from now? Is hyperspeed from star trek possible?
    Guild Wars 2 Was A Lie

Quote Originally Posted by staticflare View Post
    When you really think about the speed of light it's insanely fast when being used on earth or around our atmosphere but when used in a much broader sense for example traveling from one galaxy to another it's incredibly slow. Surely there must be something faster than light we just haven't discovered yet. Will it really take us thousands of years to go from one galaxy to another in let's say 3 million years from now? Is hyperspeed from star trek possible?
    There are theories, right now wormholes and "warp drive" are the only real theoretical things that could work, but that depends on how flexible the universe is.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogguh View Post
    Speed is distance divided by duration. You can't move faster than time any more than you can move faster than a mile. Neither distance nor time is measurable by speed.
    I dunno, man. I've seen some pretty slow miles.

In cross country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

15+ Year Old Account
    I also want to note using Pluto and Earth would be bad to use as an example. They move too much, and Pluto especially has a very large range. I would instead use the Sun and the Earth instead as the Sun is more static.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Current physics says that you can't travel faster than light, but you can shorten the distance (see worm holes).
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

As for travelling to the future, the closer the % of the speed of light, the less "perceivable" time you take. If you go 99% of the speed of light for 100 "earth years", a person on earth will watch you for 100 years go that far. To you however, that 100 year journey takes 1 year. This is all caused by time dilation due to the fact that to any observer, light is always traveling 300,000 km/s regardless how fast you are going, in order for it to "appear" that way your experiences have to speed up or slow down to accommodate it.

Relativity is all relative man.

Time and space are related, and the speed of light =/= time. That's why when we see events in the solar system they've already happened a while ago. The universe is expanding rapidly too, so eventually we may not see what we do now.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    Time and space are related, and the speed of light =/= time. That's why when we see events in the solar system they've already happened a while ago. The universe is expanding rapidly too, so eventually we may not see what we do now.
    If the universe is expanding then what lies beyond that expansion? What is outside of what we cannot see or observe?
    Guild Wars 2 Was A Lie

10+ Year Old Account
    If the universe is expanding then what lies beyond that expansion? What is outside of what we cannot see or observe?
    What we can see and observe is limited by the speed of light, what's outside of the universe is unknown, though there are theories.

Look at it this way, pretend you are no longer a 3D person but instead confined to two dimensions. You really can't do more then speculate as to the existence of a cube when you're confined to a plain.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    So my question is how can light be as fast as time when light is traveling from let's say earth to pluto it still requires a set amount of time before it reaches it. If light were as fast as time wouldn't it reach Pluto instantaneously? How could traveling faster than light mean going faster than time when light isn't as fast as time itself?
    First of all, "light is as fast as time" doesn't make sense.

Now, if we could attack a frame of reference to a photon (light particle), then, indeed, time would be frozen in this reference. Photon would be everywhere along its path at the same time. So yes, you could say it reaches Pluto instantaneously.
    The problem is, such a frame of reference doesn't exist, due to the properties of Minkowsky space. In any existing frame of reference, light won't reach Pluto instantaneously.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

This is like some flat earth science thread Seems fun. I have a question too! If light is so fast, then why did earth win a race against it by over 8 minutes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

The universe is like an expanding sort of in-perfect bubble. Beyond that I suppose would be the multiverse theory, which if your head wasn't already blown from our own universe then I'd wait on that. Then multiverse must be in something else right? So, one step at a time, but the argument is kind of believable in that we thought we were the only planet, then we found more, thought we were the only solar system, then found more, thought we were the only Galaxy, ect.
    Last edited by Stonecloak; 2016-07-29 at 12:53 AM.

Lay off the acid. Words still have definitions, even if you don't understand what they are anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is important to understand here is that the Universe is around 14 billion years old. The most distant quasar we've seen is 12.9 billion light years away; that makes what we see a picture from 1 billion years after Big Bang. Theoretically, we should be able to see things all the way up to ~14 billion light years away. Beyond that, nothing exists, because the Universe didn't exist so far back.

Although, to be very precise, the accelerating expansion of the Universe might make it impossible for us to see beyond a smaller envelope. What's beyond that would not only be unobservable, but also unreachable, so, again, you could say there is nothing, because we can't interact with that something in any way.
    Last edited by May90; 2016-07-29 at 01:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by vanyali View Post
    i have it on good authority that noise is gray. All noise.
    white noise and pink noise help me sleep
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    white noise and pink noise help me sleep
    don't fall for the crayon conspiracy

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread is making my head hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    don't fall for the crayon conspiracy
    Everybody knows brown noise is the best one. Now that I listened to it a bit I'm actually gonna go to bed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Light travels at the speed of light, so it "experiences" the maximum time dilation, in that time does not move for a photon. Thus, the photon, in its own perspective, leaves the surface of the sun and strikes the surface of pluto, in an instant, even though from our perspective on earth, it takes about seven hours for the photon to make such a journey.

Relativity is weird.
    Putin khuliyo