Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Science question need some nerds.

So my question is how can light be as fast as time when light is traveling from let's say earth to pluto it still requires a set amount of time before it reaches it. If light were as fast as time wouldn't it reach Pluto instantaneously? How could traveling faster than light mean going faster than time when light isn't as fast as time itself?
    Guild Wars 2 Was A Lie

Time isn't a speed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Time is not a measurement of speed, what's more time changes based on your speed relative to everything else. The faster you go, the more time compresses. For example, GPS satellites have to adjust for this since time is moving faster for them in orbit then us on the ground.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    You should run for Congress. We need more people of science like that on the committees.

Deleted
    Light and time are not related, the speed of light is a property of light, nothing more. Its only relation to time is that it converts speed over a time period into a distance measurement.

You could say that the speed of "anything" and have the same issue.

Time is not a speed, it does not travel, you are mixing up things in a way that makes no sense, may as well go full Pratchett and ask why speed of light is considered the fastest thing in the universe since where ever light goes, dark has always got there first.....its a nonsense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    You should run for Congress. We need more people of science like that on the committees.
    Hey hey, he got his science lessons from one of the schools that teach creationism instead of evolution it's not his fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Time is not a measurement of speed, what's more time changes based on your speed relative to everything else. The faster you go, the more time compresses. For example, GPS satellites have to adjust for this since time is moving faster for them in orbit then us on the ground.
    Then how are you able to go faster than time if you are going faster than light? I don't understand this theory from Einstein how can light be the fastest thing in the universe when it takes light thousands of years just to reach from one end of a galaxy to another. Wouldn't going faster than time mean you are going faster than something that can reach a destination from one edge of the universe to another in an instant?
    Guild Wars 2 Was A Lie

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by staticflare View Post
    Then how are you able to go faster than time if you are going faster than light? I don't understand this theory from Einstein how can light be the fastest thing in the universe when it takes light thousands of years just to reach from one end of a galaxy to another. Wouldn't going faster than time mean you are going faster than something that can reach a destination from one edge of the universe to another in an instant?
    you dont go faster than time. Time is not a speed. Its not something that travels, it has no speed.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    You are asking what color a noise is.
    I have it on good authority that noise is gray. All noise.

I also think you are confusing the state of light dependant on the observer. Time dilation does occur at higher speeds, because light speed is a constant speed to the point of the person observing it.

Example: If I am standing here, and you are going 50% of the speed of light and light is travelling next to you, I will measure you going at 150,000 km/s and measure light going at 300,000km/s. To you, light would STILL be moving a 300,000 km/s away from you, and I will have appeared to be compressed really thinly as you pass me by. The thing with light is that the observers perception of time is distorted (not time itself) to the point where light will ALWAYS travel 300,000km/s.

All this is in a vacuum of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not a measure of speed. Light goes 186,000 mi/sec. Time doesn't.
    The End

10+ Year Old Account
    How could traveling faster than light mean going faster than time when light isn't as fast as time itself?
    This is my new favorite quote.

So basically it is impossible to go ahead in time correct? It's impossible to go into the future?
    Guild Wars 2 Was A Lie

10+ Year Old Account
    So basically it is impossible to go ahead in time correct? It's impossible to go into the future?
    Future is easy happens every second, to jump ahead quicker, you just travel quickly so that time moves faster for you relative to everyone else. Backwards, very tricky.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    I have it on good authority that noise is gray. All noise.
    Then why does my soothing sounds radio have a "White Noise" setting?

Speed is distance divided by duration. You can't move faster than time any more than you can move faster than a mile. Neither distance nor time is measurable by speed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Cause your radio is racist?

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    You are asking what color a noise is.
    Depends on the frequency

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    An elaborate lie by crayon manufacturers.