Thread: Going camping

Going camping

I don't know where to put this. Is this the right section?
    Anyway, we're going camping the weekend after next and I've heard that you can cook easy meals using boil in bags. Has anyone tried them before? What sort of meals can you make with one?

you can buy them, they arent so bad. you can also make them. Its essentially just like hamburger helper and other pasta/rice type dishes. The advantage of them is they are lgiht weight and easy to take on longer hikes.

You can also make omelets in bags. Just crack some eggs into a ziplock, add other ingredients if you wish (cheese, ham, etc). Place ziplock in pot of water and boil it.

It's a nice way to cook without having to clean a bunch of dishes afterwards.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

10+ Year Old Account
    Camping or camping?

Camping in a campground with car access, means cook whatever fits in the car or a cooler.

Backpacking a few miles in, is a different beast. I wouldn't chance trying to pack in eggs for an omelette.
    Using a Freeze-Dried dinners like Mountain House or Backpacker's Pantry is pretty straight forward. Just add 2 cups of boiling water to the pouch and wait a few minutes.
    I'd test out a pouch beforehand, to see if you can tolerate the taste. They also have tons of sodium. Some people have poor reactions to that much sodium.

Also, if its just one night. Its mostly safe to pre-cook something like pasta and pack it in without worrying too much about it spoiling. Or adding some canned tuna or chicken to it at dinner.

I used to help in my brother's cafe and I remember using plastic bags from Ampac though we only use it for freezing meat.

Okay. I'm going to try making them omelettes.
    I never thought about using boil in bags for freezing and marinating. Thanks for the tips and is this the company that you were saying.

If properly hiking in the woods when you need to carry everything (including the source of heat) with you, I'd prefer the easy route of having an alcohol stove and some freeze dried stuff as the actual meals, and then some small snacks to fill in. They are nothing michelin-stuff, but in the outdoors (mildly) fatigued they can taste surprisingly good. If it's more relaxed camping where you have your car within reasonable range, then it's totally different thing.

HOw was Your camping trip?!