Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    curse client is not working for me since a month ago; what's the deal with curse client and apparently a curse app ? what's the difference ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    curse client is not working for me since a month ago; what's the deal with curse client and apparently a curse app ? what's the difference ?
    Curse App is an all in one solution, there's a streaming service, chats, communities, VoIP service and now addon manager.

Curse Client is a soon to be phased out addon manager

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    Curse App is an all in one solution, there's a streaming service, chats, communities, VoIP service and now addon manager.

Curse Client is a soon to be phased out addon manager
    so they'll remove curse client ? better change to curse app now then, I don't think there's any other add on manager as easy and straight forward.
    but no way they could get as many users as skype, there is only the place for 1 for those kind of things like amazon for online shopping, any others are just making the world bloated and more complicated than needed.

so they'll remove curse client ? better change to curse app now then, I don't think there's any other add on manager as easy and straight forward.
    but no way they could get as many users as skype, there is only the place for 1 for those kind of things like amazon for online shopping, any others are just making the world bloated and more complicated than needed.
    I'm not sure about removing, they said they're going to phase it out, it's a bit different. But I wouldn't be surprised, if Curse Client suddenly stopped connecting to Curse servers

Honestly with Discord being a thing there's no reason for Skype nor Curse App for existing. Which is why I don't want to install another POS app.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Honestly with Discord being a thing there's no reason for Skype nor Curse App for existing. Which is why I don't want to install another POS app.
    similar with steam existing there is no need for origin, bethesda launcher thing.. heck even the battle.net launcher is another extra programme that is the same thing as steam - except of course everyone makes their own because they don't wanna pay valve to use their service. i wish all these launcher kinda things could be optional, like battle.net and bethesda (for some games), but i can't see it happening. and there will never be any unification without parent companies merging.

but "no need for this to exist" is a phrase that does not exist in the world of marketing. competition is (usually) a good thing for the consumer. with curse and discord competing it will give each of them a reason to try and one-up the other, each trying to offer the best quality service.
    of course it creates silly "oh this is better than that one" which 90% of the time translates to "i am more familiar with this one and the unfamiliarity of the other one frightens me because i might have to ask someone for help or learn something new"

just use whichever you prefer, and if you really need to use the one you don't prefer for some reason.. uh just do it unless it is really going to kill you? i used to prefer ventrillo over teamspeak2 - teamspeak2 had horrible codecs and everyone sounded radically different.. but you get used to it and you think "wait why did i even care which programme i was using"

15+ Year Old Account
    Woah there's no addons update program from Curse anymore?!?!!? I just uninstalled & reinstalled the curse client and none of the addons or games are showing up now. Is there a way to get this back?

Curse Client still works just fine for me.

Curse app is fine. You don't have to use any of the social features if you don't want to. And you can set it up to boot directly to the addon panel so you will never even see the other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    It's here!

(A bit) memory hungry

Curse Client vs Curse App.
    Memory usage on its own is a poor metric.
    Impact on performance through CPU usage is what people should be looking at.
    If it is having a negative impact, then that should absolutely be discussed given how the extra features would encourage or require it to be running all the time which the old one really did not need to be.
    Perhaps it needs to be more modular.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2016-08-02 at 11:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Wait, what happened to the new curse client that has everyone in a fit?

I don't use it, and try to avoid the Curse network as much as I can, but I am curious?
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Fox View Post

I don't use it, and try to avoid the Curse network as much as I can, but I am curious?
    Because it is no longer just an addon client, but bringing in more of their services.
    The social stuff, chat, voice chat etc.
    Bringing them together rather than individual clients each with their own identity.
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Fox View Post

If you try to avoid the curse network why are you on MMO-Champ?

Quote Originally Posted by WintersLegion View Post
    Missed that bit, yeah that is rather funny.

Short version.
    New app consolidation their services into one.

And in some cases that has prompted complaints about "bloat".
    Yet they continue to play wow with twitter integration, streaming support via facebook in the launcher, and that is even if you exclude game content they may have little interest in, such as pet battling, selfie camera etc.

Criticisms should be about the implementation, rather than just there being something they don't want.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2016-08-02 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Because it is no longer just an addon client, but bringing in more of their services.
    The social stuff, chat, voice chat etc.
    Bringing them together rather than individual clients each with their own identity.
    Oh... Wow... That sounds terrible.
    Back to managing your own addons, I suppose?

Quote Originally Posted by WintersLegion View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Missed that bit, yeah that is rather funny.
    MMOC wasn't always apart of Curse. :P

I rarely come here as it is, and usually just linger around 2 or 3 threads. Just this one caught my attention. :O

Besides, the Addons page for WoW on Curse's site is still missing "Monks"... That has been missing since like Jan.
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

Thanks OP... I didn't know they were rolling out this functionality yet ; )

I may be blind, but I'm not seeing a way for the general populace to download the Alpha...
    Last edited by AlamarAtMMOC; 2016-08-03 at 12:18 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlamarAtMMOC View Post
    Thanks OP... I didn't know they were rolling out this functionality yet ; )

I may be blind, but I'm not seeing a way for the general populace to download the Alpha...
    Click the ? on the lower left.

Click About Curse.

Click the Alpha button.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    So with the bullshit Curse has decided to pull on us, it has became evident that we need a new program to manage AddOn updating.

Is there any program that could perform soon-to-be-dead Curse Client's function of checking updates from either Curse or WoWInterface and download and unpack the updates from there?
    If you don't like it, don't use it.

I'm also pretty sure you won't see an alternative that isn't crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    And why do we need a new program? The curse app will do the same things that Curse Client did.
    The Curse App is about as solid as MMOC without Adblock and Ghostery.

Aka its solid shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    The Curse App is about as solid as MMOC without Adblock and Ghostery.

Aka its solid shit.
    Off-topic but what the shit is Ghostery?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendou
    Also, Kodo is on fire. Bad Taurens! Fire bad for Kodo! Oh look it's dead now....oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadora View Post
    Blizzard, HOW DARE YOU! How dare you spend precious development time making a new, interesting feature and then turn around and try to make money off said development time. I AM ENTITLED TO EVERYTHING YOU EVER MAKE FOR FREE BECAUSE I BOUGHT THAT GAME THAT ONE TIME.
    Credit goes to Chris Hanel of The Daily Blink for the beautiful avatar picture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh, the thing that keeps me from using any of these things is that I use mods from both WoWInterface and Curse (far more from WoWInterface though). So using 2 different managers is just more trouble than it's worth. Especially when addons from one site update faster then the other. I'll just stick to using the favorites menu.