Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Snichy View Post
    Ok, so Ive logged into the new website, signed in, downloaded the new app and cant find ANYWHERE where I can update my addons. Am I being dumb here?!

Edit: ok so I read the patch notes from last week and they said the addon management tools are coming in a future update "soon", so I guess thats ok - hopefully theres no overlap!
    If you want to use the new version - in the new program in the bottom left is a cogwheel, above it is a question mark, click it and a window pops up, select About Curse, and then you have an option to switch to the alpha version. The alpha version has the changes that allow you to manage your addons with it.

Am i the only person confused as to why you cant just open it update your addons and close it? What difference does it make? None.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rehok View Post
    Am i the only person confused as to why you cant just open it update your addons and close it? What difference does it make? None.
    Instead of setting the addon update page to the default view and having the app close on exit people would rather bitch about a free service that no one is forcing them to use just because it offers features they don't personally find useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Snichy View Post
    Some context? Whats happening with the Curse client. I know they recently changed their website to some poorly designed replacement, but the client still works for me?
    There is the client you are familliar with, which I will term the Curse Addon Client.
    Then there is a seperate client, offering the social tools. I term that the New Curse Client.

There is an alpha of the New Curse Client that also adds in support for WoW and apparently Minecraft addons.
    As that is still at an alpha stage it would be silly to turn off the current Addon Client support.
    But they do plan to do that in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Deleted
    searching also for alternative, curse has made it clear that it's security risk - it's backdoor troyan bloatware. don't want any "program" into my PC what acts like virus - uses system resources (internet etc.), updates (when it is turned off), has secret processes/schedules running and installs stuff without permission or asking.
    Last edited by mmoce25a800b33; 2017-04-10 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by prejumpton View Post
    searching also for alternative, curse has made it clear that it's security risk - it's backdoor troyan bloatware. don't want any "program" into my PC what acts like virus - uses system resources (internet etc.), updates (when it is turned off), has secret processes/schedules running and installs stuff without permission or asking.
    You just described literally every program designed to run silently in the system tray, including antivirus programs. Things you probably have installed that do everything you just said: Steam, Battle.net, Discord, Spotify, Wowhead uploader.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

Quote Originally Posted by prejumpton View Post
    Running in the background it only does if you choose, you can turn that off.
    Actually it is safer now due to lack of 3rd party advertisements.

Lots of petty statements but nothing to back them up.
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

The Curse "App" today updated itself to the Twitch "App".
    With no icons for the addons.
    Thanks, but no.

Let's see how long the old Curse client V5 keeps doing its job.

I just remoted into my computer and checked. Yep, the Curse-branded version is gone. The addon tab is still there and my instance still stayed on it just like any other update. Unfortunately, it wiped the cache of addons it recognized, so now I have to go through all my modified ones. There's also no more addon icons, just the list of names. Annoying, especially the Twitch branding, but as long as the app still does its job, I'm fine with it.

Edit: I just realized you said addon icons. I thought you said no icon for the addon tab. When I get home, I'll see if there's new options to change or something.

Edit2: No new option to bring back the icons. Looks like we're stuck with the Twitch App. It still does the job of updating addons and staying out of the other features, so I'm not too worried.
    Last edited by Kanegasi; 2017-04-12 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vonixe View Post
    You're not force fed. It's there if you'd like to use it. You don't have to add anybody or be "forced" to communicate using it. You can continue to open it, update and close it. Stop being a child
    How arrogant does one have to be, to feel the right to tell others how they should feel?

Lahis feels force-fed and wants an alternative. That's not up for discussion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Last time I checked, Facebook was a website, not a program.
    What's it like not having a smartphone?

"still does the job of updating addons" also fits for the old v5 client, and it shows the addon icons, too. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAviator View Post
    "still does the job of updating addons" also fits for the old v5 client, and it shows the addon icons, too. ;-)
    The problem is that v5 is supposedly planned to be disabled, as in its connections to Curse's addon servers rejected or some sort of disable that renders v5 unusable, either directly or indirectly. The initial v6 announcement last year was vague, but before Twitch bought Curse, the plan was to move all Client users to v6 whether they wanted to or not. Interestingly enough, the Twitch/Curse announcement was less than a month after the v6 announcement, so it may not have been a coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
    I just remoted into my computer and checked. Yep, the Curse-branded version is gone. The addon tab is still there and my instance still stayed on it just like any other update. Unfortunately, it wiped the cache of addons it recognized, so now I have to go through all my modified ones. There's also no more addon icons, just the list of names. Annoying, especially the Twitch branding, but as long as the app still does its job, I'm fine with it.

Edit: I just realized you said addon icons. I thought you said no icon for the addon tab. When I get home, I'll see if there's new options to change or something.

Edit2: No new option to bring back the icons. Looks like we're stuck with the Twitch App. It still does the job of updating addons and staying out of the other features, so I'm not too worried.
    The icons vanished right after I updated but they came back when I restarted the app. Seems like it was just a small bug.

Anyone using minion? (wowinterface's client)
    If it's doing its job well, I'm thinking to ditch Curse because I just want to update my addons. I don't want other mumbo-jumbo (chat, friend list etc) and I don't like to update my addons manually since I have plenty of them

Also, old curse client still works? I tried to find a place to download but links were all dead.
    Last edited by PewPewGG; 2017-04-12 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PewPewGG View Post
    Anyone using minion? (wowinterface's client)
    If it's doing its job well, I'm thinking to ditch Curse because I just want to update my addons. I don't want other mumbo-jumbo (chat, friend list etc) and I don't like to update my addons manually since I have plenty of them

Also, old curse client still works? I tried to find a place to download but links were all dead.
    I did give it a go when it was offering free "update all", unlike the curse client.
    And better performance due to lack of embedded advertisements.
    However the Curse Twitch Client is now offering much of what I liked in that, plus updating of those not found on WoWinterface.

Quote Originally Posted by user123456 View Post
    The icons vanished right after I updated but they came back when I restarted the app. Seems like it was just a small bug.
    I have not restarted my client, but it seems the icons are back. May have been a small hotfix. Twitch App is a little more tolerable.

I'm a tad pissed that Twitch updated the Curse app without our permission, even more so because I am unable to delete the desktop icon for the old Curse App since it technically doesn't exist.
    Priest Warrior
    You are not your role. You are not how much gold you have on your account.
    You are not the mount you ride. You are not the contents of your bank.
    You are not your epic purples. You are not a special and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-grinding, all-farming crap of Azeroth.