Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I looked at the comments, saw 1 post about Trump and every other complaint about a white man in a chinese movie.. To be honest that's equally stupid.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Theres no asian actors that could lead a western blockbuster. Jackie Chang was the closest they got to the sun.

John Cho is building up cred with his role in the star trek films but hes still a long away if ever from being a lead outside of stoner comedies.

Deleted
    I think it got down-voted because china was not as smart as trump in the movie and let others pay for it.

Deleted
    Matt Damon reacts to "Great Wall" controversy in Beijing.

Reuters
    Dec 6, 2016

Matt Damon defends 'whitewashing' casting during "Great Wall" cast gathering in Beijing. Rough Cut - no reporter narration.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feredir View Post
    Elysium wasn't that bad, wasn't great though.

edit: But he has had his share of bad movies

Zero Theorum
    We Bought A Zoo
    Jersey Girl
    Every actor and almost every director has their share of turds. Matt has many more successes though - he's pretty fun to watch on the screen. The Martian is a perfect example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feredir View Post
    Elysium wasn't that bad, wasn't great though.

edit: But he has had his share of bad movies

Zero Theorum
    We Bought A Zoo
    Jersey Girl
    Zero Theorum was fantastic . But I guess Terry Gilliam's films aren't for everyone...

WBAZ and Jersey Girl were both huge turds though, I'll give you that.

EDIT: I'm with Matt on this, there are PLENTY of cases of Whitewashing in Hollywood *cough* Gods of Egypt *cough*. Great Wall is not one of them.

It's a Chinese director, making a film partially funded by China, and aimed at the Chinese market.

If they'd WANTED a chinese lead, they would have cast one. Zhang Yimou has a long list of actors he loves to work with and he could have cast any of them, but he didn't. Because that's not what this story IS.

Also worth noting: I've not seen a single chinese person complain about this film, I've asked friends, I've asked their family, I've asked over the internet. NO ONE I know in China gives the slightest fuck, most of them are super hyped to see the film and the ones that aren't are disinterested for a wealth of other reasons...

AALLLLLL the complaints have been from middle aged, middles class white american women, all getting mouth frothingly offended on behalf of people they've never met and who have never expressed the opinions that they espouse on their behalf.
    Last edited by Gallahadd; 2016-12-06 at 09:59 PM.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    Weta Workshop - The Great Wall.

Weta Workshop
    Dec 14, 2016

We're proud to have provided concept design and handheld weapon manufacturing services for the Chinese epic, The Great Wall, directed by the fantastic Zhang Yimou and co-produced by Legendary, China Film Group, Le Vision Pictures and Atlas Entertainment.

it is a cool and amazing movie

Deleted
    i'll prob go n see it this weekend, the effects will prob be massive!