Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

How do you feel after changing mains?

I've played a paladin since 3.1~3.2 and a druid before then. With the changes to paladin with 7.0 it is the first time since 3.1 that I have considered changing mains, and with so many things being account-wide now there are less and less mental barriers to do it. But, there is just one hangup for me personally: My paladin has 74 exalted reps. There are also the numerous achievements which do not track account-wide. I could still easily change mains I suppose, but it feels like such a colossal waste!

How have you felt after changing mains in the past?

Are there any things you regret about changing the character that you devote the most time to?
    Last edited by vareck; 2016-07-30 at 12:36 PM.

Pandaren were a mistake

Deleted
    I don't believe in mains. Never had one, see no reason to have one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    There has to be one if you're doing progression with a fixed group unless you want to devote ungodly amounts of time to raiding and preparing for raiding.

Pandaren were a mistake

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vareck View Post
    There has to be one if you're doing progression with a fixed group unless you want to devote ungodly amounts of time to raiding and preparing for raiding.
    You see this the reason I am on a crusade since MoP :P
    Last edited by mmocd6d7b58413; 2016-07-30 at 05:52 AM.

I have swapped mains all the times through the game for the guilds I am in. Its w/e. All I care about to clearing the raid and getting ranks in that tier on that char. I don't do achievements or anything like that so there is no attachment or anything... not that there really is since achievements are acc wide.

I have gone from like
    Rogue > War Tank > Fury War > Resto Shaman in BC
    Fury War > Resto Shaman > Hunter > H Pally in Wrath
    Lock Cata
    Lock MoP
    DK tank > Druid tank > Pally tank WoD
    Starting as DK tank in Legion

Granted I have also played 1-2 alts as well full clearing mythic as well so its kinda hard to post all that but ya basically that.

i always mained bear druid, with unholy dk and enh shammy as main alts, but not ima be maining DH, i dont like the changes to druid and i love tanking, as time goes on ill keep my dk and shammy as geared as possible, but my druid is only gonna get 110 get his special skin i want and then not touched until another overhaul

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ible View Post
    im in the same boat and have found no solution, guess it will be like always. just stick to main and forget serious gaming. semi-accountwide.. achievements are still tracked per character. if completion is your thing changing main is a massive disadvantage. let not mention expense, i have for years tried to get around this system. its impossible, it only leads to that your alts become co-mains. i no longer have many alts, i have many mains and a few alts. still there is a shimmering requirement to have a true main as, like blizz themselves put it so nicely. "only one may rise"

sorry not the reply you were looking for, but hey with all this arrogance around why not..
    Yeah, I forgot to add in the OP the part about achievements. For instance, the 100 WSG victories is the last thing I need for master of WSG. I maybe need 40 more wins but if I changed mains, I would then need 100 wins on that character to finish that particular meta. This is not only applicable to WSG but many other achievements which I have partially completed and I can't seem to get past that mental barrier.

I don't know what arrogance you are referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Zylos View Post
    I have never switched mains because a character felt bad...I have only switched because another character felt good.
    That's a good point. When I originally switched from druid to pally it was because I liked how prot felt, not because I disliked how resto or bear felt.
    Last edited by vareck; 2016-07-30 at 05:35 AM.

Pandaren were a mistake

I have never switched mains because a character felt bad...I have only switched because another character felt good and I really wanted to play it.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    I don't have a big issue with it. I switch mains every other expansion, typically. In this case I probably won't be maining my Hunter anymore, as I'm not super fond of all the changes to the class.

I've mained my shaman since early BC. You can still play another class as your raiding toon. I just come back to him for all achievement work.

I always like the idea of a main. And in that respect I have one toon(my priest) that actually has a lot more content under his belt. But so often I end up bouncing between several toons. I am down to 3 for Legion. Admittedly my priesty will probably stand at the top since the class as a whole is so strong now. Disc is fun. Shadow is incredible m8. And Holy is good without having to compare to a gamebreaking spec. Good times were had by all.

If only they let me tank in shadowform >_<

Deleted
    I don't change mains. Playing the FOTM just because it's the FOTM would feel very wrong and bad.

Switching mains is an abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've played a paladin since 3.1~3.2 and a druid before then. With the changes to paladin with 7.0 it is the first time since 3.1 that I have considered changing mains, and with so many things being account-wide now there are less and less mental barriers to do it. But, there is just one hangup for me personally: My paladin has 74 exalted reps. I could still easily change mains I suppose, but it feels like such a colossal waste!

How have you felt after changing mains in the past?
    Not really much after changing mains, I always have a small group of 'mains'.

Are there any things you regret about changing the character that you devote the most time to?
    My biggest regret was after WoD raiding, when I felt ashamed of changing from my Paladin, to my Warrior - now it feels like I neglected my Paladin (who is my top favorite). So, that changes for Legion, Paladin all the way from the start.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as you feel happy playing the new Main, nothing else should matter. I do know that's not always the case (at least not for me) since you lose out on Reputation rewards, Character specific Achievements, Profession perks and other things, but over time you will gather some of that back.
    In the past I swapped mains from Hunter to Warlock and now from Warlock to Shaman, due to the direction the game is taking the Classes I once enjoyed which I can't satisfy myself with. I made peace with the fact I won't be able to complete all the Achievements or get all reputations (unless they make some changes on that end) and I just try to live "in the moment" and do what pleases me and gives satisfaction.
    My brother burned out on it since he was an Achievement/completionist guy who kept playing a DK, even though he disliked the direction his Main's class was going. He quit and now regrets spending all that time on things he didn't enjoy.

Enjoyment is the key if you want to keep playing. If you don't enjoy playing something you'll quit sooner or later.
    "If you are what you HAVE and you lose what you have, what then are you? But if you are what you ARE and you lose what you have, no man controls your destiny".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    So I take it you started in Wrath or Cata then? In order to do any current content in Vanilla or BC you had to have a main especially with the attunement chains. So basically you played for like an expansion and a half...
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
    So I take it you started in Wrath or Cata then? In order to do any current content in Vanilla or BC you had to have a main especially with the attunement chains. So basically you played for like an expansion and a half...
    WotLK was 8 years and 4 expansions ago bruh.
    BC is literally only ~1 1/2 years older than WotLK and the attunement chains were removed halfway through the expansion. Not to mention that you could always have them on the same progession step.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2016-07-30 at 09:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    WotLK was 8 years and 4 expansions ago bruh.
    Both MoP and WoD highly discouraged not investing tons of time grinding on a single character for the welfare legendary... So he basically played for most of Wrath and Cata.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

Deleted
    Not in the slightest.
    Seriously... WoD is as alt friendly as it gets, the legendary doesn't require alot of time either. You could go LFR with all your side-chicks to get the farming done. Even professions are easily doable in a single day... the only thing that is annoying is the Garrison, but if you have enough money, that's not a problem either and even if you have not, it requires about ~10-20 minutes/day per character.
    Not sure about MoP, because I didn't play that myself.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2016-07-30 at 09:58 AM.