Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    That's pretty much foreign policy. Aren't you just agreeing with @Skroe?
    Thats not the militarism that Dr. West was referring to, and his work in Africa has been done largely through NGO's, not US foreign policy. Even if it was directly done by the US government it doesnt excuse the other awful shit that weve done, and it really feels like a goalpost move to even suggest that.

Deleted
    That's pretty much foreign policy. Aren't you just agreeing with @Skroe?
    While a strict definition of foreign aid is within the purview of foreign policy, that wasn't really what he meant i think.

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    While a strict definition of foreign aid is within the purview of foreign policy, that wasn't really what he meant i think.
    Sure, but this then turns into, "what has US foreign policy done to help people other than the tens of billions of dollars they've spent helping people?".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Thats not the militarism that Dr. West was referring to, and his work in Africa has been done largely through NGO's, not US foreign policy. Even if it was directly done by the US government it doesnt excuse the other awful shit that weve done, and it really feels like a goalpost move to even suggest that.
    NGOs are foreign policy by any meaningful definition. They're one of the chief levers for improving foreign relations and accomplishing goals of the United States government.

I don't really see how West's statements are anything other than the sort of blanket condemnations that I'd expect from someone that can't really be bothered to learn specifics.

Deleted
    Sure, but this then turns into, "what has US foreign policy done to help people other than the tens of billions of dollars they've spent helping people?"
    Well its hardly 'US' aids policy - its all the same western policy i would say.
    But i agree, it was rather begging the question.

Sure, but this then turns into, "what has US foreign policy done to help people other than the tens of billions of dollars they've spent helping people?".

- - - Updated - - -

NGOs are foreign policy by any meaningful definition. They're one of the chief levers for improving foreign relations and accomplishing goals of the United States government.

I don't really see how West's statements are anything other than the sort of blanket condemnations that I'd expect from someone that can't really be bothered to learn specifics.
    You know what NGO stands for right?

You know what NGO stands for right?
    Yes.

Do you care to address anything I wrote?

Do you like the 2 party system, because if you dont the process to change it is going to be a slower change. I voted for Gary Johnson in 08 and 12 not because I thought he would win but because I didn't like either of the other candidates.

So either I dont vote, or I vote for who I like or dont vote.

This year Gary Johnson is polling as high as 12%, last cycle it was 3-5%. Thats progress
    "As high" is not a definitive description of anything.

Also the actual way to change the system is to do it how Sanders tried. From within. And guess what? He got most of his agenda in the Democratic platform.

Meanwhile you have Jill Stein and Johnson having done absolutely nothing to change the system but complain about stuff they dislike from outside the system and having changed a total of nothing.

So congratulations I guess? Your candidate accomplished nothing, didn't even get into the mainstream cognizance, and altered zero things on the Democratic platform side, which is much more open to changing its agenda if its done so from within.

Yes.

Do you care to address anything I wrote?
    Donating money to red cross doesnt absolve you of war crimes

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post

Also the actual way to change the system is to do it how Sanders tried. From within. And guess what? He got most of his agenda in the Democratic platform.

Meanwhile you have Jill Stein and Johnson having done absolutely nothing to change the system but complain about stuff they dislike from outside the system and having changed a total of nothing.

So congratulations I guess? Your candidate accomplished nothing, didn't even get into the mainstream cognizance, and altered zero things on the Democratic platform side, which is much more open to changing its agenda if its done so from within.
    My candidate accomplished representing me, do you get something for voting for Hilary if she wins? Why the fuck would I vote for someone who I don't agree with?

Donating money to red cross doesnt absolve you of war crimes

My candidate accomplished representing me, do you get something for voting for Hilary if she wins? Why the fuck would I vote for someone who I don't agree with?
    I guess congrats that you felt good.

I'm going to actually try to not let an insane sociopath into the white house.

So enjoy you feelings.

Deleted

Yeah voting for third parties never change anything, and will never change anything, because even if you did, you would then have 2 parties again.
    The US needs election reform to fix the issue.

I guess congrats that you felt good.

I'm going to actually try to not let an insane sociopath into the white house.

So enjoy you feelings.

Why are you voting for Hilary then?

Why are you voting for Hilary then?
    badumdish.

No thats just utter bullshit, poverty in the US among non whites occurs in the most liberal and richest areas(cities). Are you suggesting that Detroit is being run by white supremecists, or New York?
    I repeat. The VAST majority of our issues as a nation stem from systemic white (male) supremacy. It's been our narrative since before Day One. What exactly are you and your ilk hoping to accomplish in debating this? Other than forestalling nuanced dialogue and the tenable solutions such discourse brings, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Styxz View Post
    I repeat. The VAST majority of our issues as a nation stem from systemic white (male) supremacy. It's been our narrative since before Day One. What exactly are you and your ilk hoping to accomplish in debating this? Other than forestalling nuanced dialogue and the tenable solutions such discourse brings, of course.
    You can repeat whatever you want, until you actually back it up with some facts then its nothing more than a mindless rant

A few billions in aid doesn't seem to erase spending trillions helping people rearrange their body parts via 500 pound iron fragmentation bombs.

Or perhaps you mean sending aid to warlords who enlist armies of child soldiers like in South Sudan?
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

You can repeat whatever you want, until you actually back it up with some facts then its nothing more than a mindless rant
    You're but a Google search away my friend. Surely you can find this information yourself. I think, because you disagree, you don't want to, so what does me "backing up" anything actually serve. Confirmation bias will rule out regardless.

You're but a Google search away my friend. Surely you can find this information yourself. I think, because you disagree, you don't want to, so what does me "backing up" anything actually serve. Confirmation bias will rule out regardless.
    Something being searchable on Google doesn't make it true
    Last edited by satimy; 2016-08-02 at 09:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    LoL, you must be new here.

/facepalm