Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    So it's pretty clear that this isn't meant to be a history film, just some kind of sci-fi fantasy stuff about the great wall, so in such a case I don't really care about the casting decision.

But to make another point, it seems that both sides of this are pretty hypocritical. On one side people will flip their shit if a role normally played by a white male, or a white person, or a male, is cast as some minority, a gay person, or a woman, but will sit there and defend all day when a white man is cast in the position of a minority, a woman or otherwise. Meanwhile the other side will defend a minority/woman/gay person being cast as a role typically done by straight/white/male, but will flip their shit if a white guy is cast in the role of a minority/woman/otherwise.

Both sides do it and defend their own versions of bullshittery.

My only preference is that if you're going to be a serious historical film, you cast appropriately. Otherwise I don't give a fuck.
    The question here is Who is Matt Damon's character, because if he is westerner John Doe then it doesn't matter. It's not like having him playing Sun Tzu or any historical Chinese figure. The other thing I've heard is that there's a chance that the movie pull something similar to The Last Samurai, where Tom Cruise was the face of the film but the story didn't focus his character that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Jofe View Post
    The question here is Who is Matt Damon's character, because if he is westerner John Doe then it doesn't matter. It's not like having him playing Sun Tzu or any historical Chinese figure. The other thing I've heard is that there's a chance that the movie pull something similar to The Last Samurai, where Tom Cruise was the face of the film but the story didn't focus his character that much.
    I think he is supposed to be Roman soldier based on some Chinese legend.

Creators can do whatever the fuck they want with their creative work.

Either consume or don't.

Real talk: movie producers cast actors who they think will sell tickets. Cultural Heritage concerns mean nothing to the guy who is putting up money to produce a film. Hell, all this controversy might be the buzz necessary to get this movie into the google feeds. The screens make it look like a real stinker that needs the buzz.

Quote Originally Posted by Gugujik View Post
    Chinese production.
    Chinese money.
    Chinese director.
    Chinese industry.

But Westerners have the nerve to lecture others what kind of movies they ought not to make.
    There's sort of this implicit belief the criticism of this movie that white men control the world and everything that goes on. It's creepy, and reminds me of Stormfront.

Deleted
    so the history books lied to us.

i thought it was built to stop the Mongolians . I now see it was built to provide a dramatic jump scene for Matt Damon

Here's my list that encourages rational thought.

1. This movie is being made in china by the chinese, it has a famous chinese director, it is being funded with with chinese money, which makes it a foreign film with no hollywood influence save the casting which was initiated by the chinese. Chinese.

2. Maybe it is racist...but you'll have to take it up with China, hollywood has no say. I'm sorry but white guilt can only be spread so far, it can't interfere with another nation's sovereignty...can it?

3. The central character is not chinese. It's important to remember that Eurasia is a massive continent, and in the west there were lot's of foreigners who sought trade and business with China in some fashion. It certainly doesn't explain why a Pale-faced barbarian with a cool american accent is the lead in a chinese backed english language film but noone is going to complain about that.

4. China gives zero fucks. I encourage you to take your bleeding heart version of liberalism overseas to china and see how long you last before the Ruling Party cracks down on you. Asian Americans are one of the most successful ethnicities in america consequentially they don't get butthurt over nonsense like this, I'll start taking bets as to whether or not most of the crybabies are ironically white trustfund babies with no real world experience.

15+ Year Old Account
    I knew it wasn't those godamned mongowians burnin down my sheety wall.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

So, let me get this straight:

We can be okay to be outraged with Matt Damon playing a historical Chinese role as racist, but if you say anything about a female Ghostbuster, you're a bigot, right? How am I supposed to feel about The Wiz or the new Annie, or aren't we touching those with a 10 foot pole? Or what if Matt Damon played a Chinese Ghostbuster?

There are so many damn rules, I can't keep up anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    I read on Geektyrant that the movie is about Matt and Pedro going to china in search of Gun Powder for an upcoming war, but they stumble on the wall and "dragons" (i assume its a dragon, could be godzilla WTFK). So none of you Tumblr posters have to get your white guilt belts tightened in a knot today.

I think it sounds epic as hell and will be watching.

I thought this was a thread about Trumps stupid wall, why is this not in the 'movies' thread?

People's beef on social media can be boiled down to this:White guy in Ancient China=historically inaccurate.
    The leading criticism that popularity started the outcry over Damon in the film was not at all your truncation here. That is not, "people's beef" as you put it at all. And is a misunderstanding on your part and an ill representation of the subject in actuality.

Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    Film Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVw9YdP1O-0

Some reactions (though my OP isn't directed at the grievances it describes):

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...on-whitewashed

Well I can't help myself. I have to complain.

Anyone seen the BS going on over Matt Damon's upcoming film? People are losing their shit over Matt Damon being the lead role in a ancient Chinese setting. People's beef on social media can be boiled down to this:White guy in Ancient China=historically inaccurate.

I've grown to hate people who immediately think they're fucking historians when they discuss movies. Just stop. You're not.

One, history isn't immune from being fictionalized: There's no unwritten rule stating that a film with a historical setting must also be historically accurate. Even if there was, it'd be a stupid rule; I don't pay to see movies that give me a history lesson--though I enjoy informative historical films occasionally. I pay to see badasses wreck shit. And guess what? Jackie Chan is too old, his sons suck as actors, Bruce and Brandon Lee are dead, the effeminate Asian dude from the Hangover can't play this role, and the asian that plays Glenn from The Walking Dead can't either.

These "historians" also need to point out where in Chinese history textbooks it says that the Chinese built the wall to fend off demonic monsters. While they're at it, they can point out when Chinese infantrymen bungee jumped off it to fight off invaders.

People are unbelievable. What started as a film intriguing me because of its concept turned into me being mystified by this Great Wall of Stupidity.
    This video here is funny.
    Last edited by ro9ue; 2016-08-03 at 07:06 PM.

Deleted
    I can star as a mongol if they want one.