What spec do you think will be best in Legion for soloing content?

Like the title says, What spec do you think will be best in Legion for soloing content?

I am kinda torn between going prot or ret come Legion because I want to gear up the spec that will be best for soloing MOP/WOD content.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Prot, lots of Aoe, sustain, and defensives

Quote Originally Posted by Demsi View Post
    Prot, lots of Aoe, sustain, and defensives
    Ya I was thinking the same as well. What heals do prot get or will it relay on having leech?

I know there is the ability u can run that heals u while ur on con but its kinda small.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Ya I was thinking the same as well. What heals do prot get or will it relay on having leech?

I know there is the ability u can run that heals u while ur on con but its kinda small.
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=184092/...-the-protector

Ya that was the ability I was talking about. I could be wrong but it seems kinda weak.

Healing 25% (max 45%) of the damage last seems low. So on 100k damage u get 45k back. Was just wondering if I was missing any other heals.

For soloing as prot you'll almost always be between 30-65% hp with LotP. Doing stuff as prot is much easier and you don't really lose any damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Geso View Post
    For soloing as prot you'll almost always be between 30-65% hp with LotP. Doing stuff as prot is much easier and you don't really lose any damage.
    Ya I am starting to notice that. I know before 7.0 it made alot of the fights much easier. But now its starting to look like prot all the way.

15+ Year Old Account
    Prot by a mile, unless it's a low damage output dps race fight. Especially when the artifact traits come into play. Boosts to LotP healing and shielding from Avenger's Shield.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Having played both at 110 I prefered Ret. Being able to comfortably solo rares with 12 million health and coming out on 100% heath was fantastic. Justicars venegence made me near indestructable against most mobs. Ret may be dull but it is very tanky and has a lot of sustained self healing. I was also doing significantly more damage than i was a prot so stuff died quicker. For large aoe packs prot was decent but with teh artifact traits I would still rate ret as superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Gracin View Post
    Prot by a mile, unless it's a low damage output dps race fight. Especially when the artifact traits come into play. Boosts to LotP healing and shielding from Avenger's Shield.
    I need to look at the artifact traits. But ya its really starting to look like prot is going to be best. Now I got to decide if ill level as prot or ret.

"Really wants to use ashbringer LOL"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Splatter View Post
    Having played both at 110 I prefered Ret. Being able to comfortably solo rares with 12 million health and coming out on 100% heath was fantastic. Justicars venegence made me near indestructable against most mobs. Ret may be dull but it is very tanky and has a lot of sustained self healing. I was also doing significantly more damage than i was a prot so stuff died quicker. For large aoe packs prot was decent but with teh artifact traits I would still rate ret as superior.
    I do hope ret is good because I perfer playing and soloing as ret.

So what was ur avg dps when doing the solos? I figured come legion at some point we will be doing 1 million dps lol.

Deleted
    I leveled as prot and did AE pulls where possible. It was pretty good but if you fight one mob at a time then your dps suffers a fair bit, since the CD on SoTR is so high.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    So what was ur avg dps when doing the solos? I figured come legion at some point we will be doing 1 million dps lol.
    Usually around 120k as ret but my gear is not super high yet, around i820. I was able to solo one of the pvp daily quest bosses with about 12 million health comfortably. Most elites have around 4-5 million health. I tried Ret Prot and Holy for leveling. Ret was definitely the least downtime/tankiest. Prot had decent aoe but I found it to struggle to self heal over long periods of time. Holy had a lot of downtime where you had to heal yourself up but you could pull a whole pack, keep consecrate down and spam heal yourself but it was a slow way to kill stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Splatter View Post
    Usually around 120k as ret but my gear is not super high yet, around i820. I was able to solo one of the pvp daily quest bosses with about 12 million health comfortably. Most elites have around 4-5 million health. I tried Ret Prot and Holy for leveling. Ret was definitely the least downtime/tankiest. Prot had decent aoe but I found it to struggle to self heal over long periods of time. Holy had a lot of downtime where you had to heal yourself up but you could pull a whole pack, keep consecrate down and spam heal yourself but it was a slow way to kill stuff.
    Thanks for the info

Deleted
    I just hopped onto my Paladin. He is 822 Prot and 820 Ret. I used Moon Guard mobs in Suramar to test the survivability. They are L. 110, have roughly 1m HP and are split between caster and melee. There are roaming patrols, massive density, and a very quick respawn. You are not really meant to go through this area without quest-related items to help you, though it can be done assuming you are careful.

In terms of survivability there is simply no contest. The Prot paladin can kill up to ten mobs at the same time. The Ret paladin takes a serious beating when more than two are pulled.

In terms of healing, the Ret heal felt pretty underwhelming. Used on a stunned mob it heals for 300-500k. It can be used slightly more often than the Prot heal though. The Prot heal is 31% of missing life when on consecration, which on my paladin at 2m HP heals a good amount (300-700k depending on life lost).

Damage-wise Ret does more sustained single target dps and will definitely pull ahead when killing one mob at a time. Prot kills much quicker in groups, but will be slower on single target. Prot can still kill one mob very quickly (roughly 5-6 globals at) when all SoTR charges are up.

All in all I would think both specs are fine for leveling, as there may not be any large mob groups when the rush begins. Just know that if you want to level as Prot, you will be killing things probably just a little slower than Ret with a massive increase in survivability.
    Last edited by mmoc2a28fd6399; 2016-08-01 at 09:33 PM.