Page 59 of 72 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebiroth99 View Post
    The new version of Haunt on the PTR is really shit. I think th eonly use you'd ever find for it is in M+ and maybe on a fight with tones and tons of movement.

The lowered upfront damage makes is really bad for the "snap burst" use, and it wasn;t all that good to start with; the 15% multiplier instead of 20% would be OK because it's balanced by the flat buff aura increasing from 20% to 25%, but the real kicker is the duration reduction, which as been reduced by 33%, from 15 seconds to 10 seconds. That means that you can't fit a full UA dump into the window and it also means your target has to die within those ten seconds for the timer to reset.

Lookslike this is intended as a talent you'd use on dungeon trash. They've killed it stone dead for raid.

One thing is really clear, they do not want affliction to have any sort of burst damage, our existing Reap+UA+MG will be gone, and the new Haunt will be no replacement for it, You will be lucky if Haunt hits as hard as one current buffed UA tick lol

Which is odd because it wasn;t long ago the devs were saying they understood what a problem ramp classes had in a burst oriented game.
    As far as I can tell the goal seems to be to repeatedly trash the tier 1 talents till we reach a point where it doesn't even matter whether we take one or not, writhe is so bad its barely even worth running on council fights, MG is a shadow of its former self. As for haunt you just have to laugh, its been unuseable for the whole expansion, they finally change it to a form where it would actually be the optimal choice in some situations but they just can't resist and its nerfed to the ground. Just kind of mad about the time I wasted on the ptr practicing playing with it.

More nerfs for affliction, yay. this time they nerfed WoC too. And I don't get it Ua got 25% damage aura buff or not? Still no new pvp talent. they promised new talent, but last time they delivered useless soul shatter so it will be either useless or they just "forgot"

- - - Updated - - -

Well UA is buffed compared to live on ptr, but I worry that in final build they will remove this buff.
    Last edited by Sunlighthell; 2017-05-24 at 10:44 PM.

900k ST on PTR was just too much I guess for Blizzard...

Also, Haunt doing less damage on PTR than it is on Live. Top kek blizzard.
    Last edited by App; 2017-05-24 at 11:56 PM.

I just tested new tier bonus on ptr. Was able to do 2.5m burst with lust with writhe/SH/SL build, ended up with 1.2m dps I have really bad latency compared to live (200). Don't really know is this good or bad because I don't have data for other classes. But I expect our tier bonus to be nerfed I reached more than 100% haste with it lust and 905 whispers. They promised to put new legendaries on sell, but screwed once again. New legendary seems pretty neat for me.

Deleted
    something i dont understand about Affli. After your Burst is out and Stuff. lets say you have enough Souls 3+ but only 1 Shard. Do i use it and drain or do i wanna wait for more Soulshards before doing a Draincycle ?

On PTR with T19x4 aff feels like it wants to be a MG/cont/SH/suprem/SC...at least around the 900'ish ilvl with no spec specific leggos. (pants/KJ/boots) Put on T20 and the WiA/AC/SL/Siphon build pulled ahead for me. Couldn't make haunt do anything. I bet you anything people were spamming haunt into the "dead" HP targets in the class hall and seeing inflated numbers...the nerf was overkill. Also couldn't get a clear feel for which is better since they upped the other dots and using MG....a 1 or 2x UA cycle.

I wouldn't call aff having anything resembling burst but SL+UA spam is at least a surge....sadly that's about all its capable of. Otherwise it will still be a good mythic+ and world quest build. It just can't offer the priority damage and its overall doesn't seem excessive unless its a theoretical council fight. PS needs the CD to reset on death early if you put it on something and that something dies...

Feels shard starved without the hood single target. So hood and the netherlord ring seem to be the defacto (vs hood/cape now and probably will be 2nd best combo). Overall the spec feels more like what it did at launch. Especially by the time you are into T20 gear/ilvls.

Quote Originally Posted by Werst View Post
    Put on T20 and the WiA/AC/SL/Siphon build pulled ahead for me.
    Done any testing with a WiA/AC build using Hood and Dark Strike? I always keep my eye out for stacking multipliers, and swapping things around on Live shows that Dark Strike multiplies with AC. I just don't know if that's enough to beat something like the belt, cape, or neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Werst View Post
    On PTR with T19x4 aff feels like it wants to be a MG/cont/SH/suprem/SC...at least around the 900'ish ilvl with no spec specific leggos. (pants/KJ/boots) Put on T20 and the WiA/AC/SL/Siphon build pulled ahead for me. Couldn't make haunt do anything. I bet you anything people were spamming haunt into the "dead" HP targets in the class hall and seeing inflated numbers...the nerf was overkill. Also couldn't get a clear feel for which is better since they upped the other dots and using MG....a 1 or 2x UA cycle.

I wouldn't call aff having anything resembling burst but SL+UA spam is at least a surge....sadly that's about all its capable of. Otherwise it will still be a good mythic+ and world quest build. It just can't offer the priority damage and its overall doesn't seem excessive unless its a theoretical council fight. PS needs the CD to reset on death early if you put it on something and that something dies...

Feels shard starved without the hood single target. So hood and the netherlord ring seem to be the defacto (vs hood/cape now and probably will be 2nd best combo). Overall the spec feels more like what it did at launch. Especially by the time you are into T20 gear/ilvls.
    Affction burst as of now is proc dependant. You procced whispers/concordance from pull? Numbers can be comparable to DH burst. On ptr with t20 having all affliction legendaries Wia + contagion was decent, hovewer mg + contagion still did more overall dps/burst. Stupid thing is: in WiA scenario drain soul was 3rd best damage source for me and siphon life, despite being put on 100 lvl tier still do less dmg overall. Only thing we can say for sure. Haunt after yesterday nerfs is back to useless shit again.

Deleted
    Yes, I can't imagine any scenario where you'd take Haunt, except maybe dungeon trash. Writhe In Agony beats it under virtually any circumstance, maybe Haunt would find ause on priority adds where you do a Reap powered UA-Haunt-UA-UA-UA for a "burst" but it probably won;t be worth it because Haunt itself now hits like a soggy noodle (it's less than a Reap+MG UA tick is on live lol)

And you're wasting your time anyway because all the burst classes who can easily snap off 3m+ dps in short windows will fall around laughing at you.

Affliction will be truly awful to play in normal, heroic and lower key M+ dungeons. Everything will just die before your dots are even running. That's bad enough now where the only thing worth doing is spamming see dof corruption and a soul flame cascade, or just popping Reap+UA+UA+Drain, the other dots aren;t even worth the GCD';s it takes to cast them, by the time you;ve done that even bosses are virtually dead.

Affliction will be truly awful to play in normal, heroic and lower key M+ dungeons. Everything will just die before your dots are even running.
    There are other ways to achieve quick / sustained burst aoe.
    Lower level M+ taking StS (coupled with SinisterSeed) and SC. AoE can be quite ridiculous If you're able to get some decent shard regen and SC procs.
    UA->Seed->agony /win
    with seed's explosion and soul flame Affliction AoE is competitive if you actually switch your talents based on the situation. Rather than a default only using the best talent and not even considering that you have other options.
    UA->Seed->agony-> PS
    Nerdrage-15 Minute Cooldown. You enter a berserker rage, increasing typing speed by 75%, chance to hit CAPS LOCK by 50% and decreasing chance to get laid by 100%. You feel no pity or remorse and can not be stopped unless banned.

Affliction will be truly awful to play in normal, heroic and lower key M+ dungeons
    I disagree with this statement . Even now things die quickly, mouseover agony and UA macros are a staple here. Mouse over put dots, STS spam you'll be just fine in M+ imo. Plus remember more haste, lower GCD, faster casting. I don't particularly foresee this problem. Especially with Deaths Embrace piling up under 35% anyways. At least overall snap damage seems more improved than live on PTR. YMMV slightly.

Deleted
    "Hey guys stop complaining about haunt they buffed us by another 5% across the board"

Yeah, for a week.

Also our AOE just got hammered. Soul flame nerfed by 15%, seed of corruption explosion by 12%

Feels so good to watch seeds cast bar crawl across the screen and then wait for it to explode whilst everyone else spams instants...

Deleted
    "Hey guys stop complaining about haunt they buffed us by another 5% across the board"

Yeah, for a week.

Also our AOE just got hammered. Soul flame nerfed by 15%, seed of corruption explosion by 12%

Feels so good to watch seeds cast bar crawl across the screen and then wait for it to explode whilst everyone else spams instants...
    To be fair, our AOE already was strong. And in lower level m+ you just had to equip a bit more haste to get the seeds out before mobs are fully dead. The buff of 25% (now down to 20%) across the board also was true for seeds, so an already strong AOE would have been even stronger. I don't really think you will see much difference in AOE numbers with these nerfs because they just brought it back in line.

Deleted
    If that is the case why not simply exclude Seeds fro the buff aura, sinc eit can be applied on a per-ability basis.

The soulflame will hurt more though. Affliction's aoe leans heavily on that soul flame cascade at the end. You can see it happening when you watch youtubes, SOC aoe is very mediocre, it is soul flame that does the work. Skorpyron logs show this iirc, soul flam eis the real source of the damage.

Seed is very weak when you consider the ridiculously long cast times - they they piled the detonation thing on top. Everyone else seems to have instant cast spammable.

Usually on PTR when you get these buff auras, when it does live the aura goes away as the damage it implies is baked into the base ability.

My guess is that the new base damage for Seed is what it will be goinglive. If they wanted seed doing the same, it woul dbe easier to exlclude it from the buff aura.

So Seed will be doing less damage in 7.2.5 than it does now on live. The clear intent is to nerf our AOE, quite a lot.

I'd also be willing to bet when 7.2.5 goes live you won;t be seeing 20% buffs. They'll be smaller.

It has been repeatedly said that being the "strongest" spec at the opening of a new raid tier is bad news, because they always over-nerf. Look what happened to shadow priests.

It's alway sbeen that way, they have always had top-dogs and those that lurk at the bottom, it is quite deliberate, Activision want to keep people chasing carrots.

Making affliction top in one thing but then bottom the next with say demo taking it's place adds up to more carrot chasing. Or let's have hunters top now, but mages top next, which is even bigger carrot chasing.

The change to adds in the Nighthold - it would have been an incredible piece of incompetence to not be able to see what that would do.
    Last edited by mmoc7a6bdbfc72; 2017-06-01 at 09:23 AM.

Deleted
    Well, who knows why they didn't take it out of the "across-the-board"-buff. My guess is that it is actually more complicated to take one or two spells out than to nerf them specifically.

Soul flame nerf will hurt a bit, yes. But exactly your example of Scorp shows how incredible that thing is at the moment. Purely with 1 golden trait that by now basically takes 1 AP WQ to get to, you shoot up to top add damage PLUS top boss damage. It's this "double-dipping" that probably irked the devs.

I admit that I will probably very much feel this damage especially in m+, where you are absolutely correct that for example the fire mage AOE is simply far superior (Living Bomb has the same principle as seed but with instant cast and no "damage to blow" requirement).

I'm curious to see this play out. Especially given that in the new raid, there are no Scorp-like encounters anyway, so all of the seed / flame tuning would be 95% for m+.

Then on the other hand, I would also not be unhappy if the AOE capability of the other 2 specs were increased to be in line. Destro shined in the beginning, Affli has shined since 7.1.5, maybe it's time for Demo to get the "Top Dog" postion

As of now only corruption and siphon life do more damage than on live. And if you count MG in eqution they do less dmg on ptr. So as of now we're plain nerfed without compensation. And changes to pvp talents driving me mad. They just ruined mid tier spec in pvp while buffing some mongoloid specs like rdruid or bm.
    Oh and effort they put in new pvp talents. I was not able to proc a single instant SoC on ptr despite having corr on 5+ targets for 1 minute.

- - - Updated - - -

Whispers in the dark got nerfed on ptr. Lost 1.3% haste from proc. Not that much, but that trinket was not even close to Draught or Ellisande melee trinket of op to begin with. For example this thing tend to proc on wind phase of mythic Gul'dan and I begin p2 with -17% haste debuff. ToS caster trinkets are still hot garbage why not buff them to make them more lucrative? However after Tichondrius trinket or Augur I don't really believe they will be able to deliver. This is xpac for melee.
    Last edited by Sunlighthell; 2017-06-01 at 11:27 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Socronoss View Post
    Well, who knows why they didn't take it out of the "across-the-board"-buff. My guess is that it is actually more complicated to take one or two spells out than to nerf them specifically.

Soul flame nerf will hurt a bit, yes. But exactly your example of Scorp shows how incredible that thing is at the moment. Purely with 1 golden trait that by now basically takes 1 AP WQ to get to, you shoot up to top add damage PLUS top boss damage. It's this "double-dipping" that probably irked the devs.
    sure and through Emerlad Nightmare, Trial, Nighthold and Sargeras how many fights are there like Skorpyron?

Yep, that's right, Skorpyron.

This is only a crazy fight for affliction now because it's on farm. On progression you were much less likely to stack up the little adds so that you cuold get off your lame-ass 2.5 - 3 second cast and then hit everything and the boss with a soul flame cascade. If it's really on farm those little adds will just die to peopel spamming instant cast stuff

I admit that I will probably very much feel this damage especially in m+, where you are absolutely correct that for example the fire mage AOE is simply far superio
    r (Living Bomb has the same principle as seed but with instant cast and no "damage to blow" requirement).
    Exactly, affliction's AOE sucks except for soul flame. Seed of corruption is lame beyond belief, how do they even begin to justify such a long cast time and the detonation requirement for something that does so little comparative damage?

Why have mages got living bomb - instant and then instant again, why can shammies spam out their instant chain lightning? The devs willprobably say "oh because it puts corruption on everything" well yeah, except you will be lucky to get off a couple of ticks.

I'm curious to see this play out. Especially given that in the new raid, there are no Scorp-like encounters anyway, so all of the seed / flame tuning would be 95% for m+.

Then on the other hand, I would also not be unhappy if the AOE capability of the other 2 specs were increased to be in line. Destro shined in the beginning, Affli has shined since 7.1.5, maybe it's time for Demo to get the "Top Dog" postion
    Demo already has a very high potential, but it's held back by the ramp which is worse than affliction's, coupled withit's need to be a motionless turret, and further held back byit;s absolutely godawful switching penalty, gived you have to have the felguard run around and the dumbass guardian pets won;t change target at allunless the first one dies,which means that you have a fullramp on every target. Oh and doom, which is absolute poison on short-lived adds.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok I did a comparison, even with the aura buff seed of corruption is weaker on PTR than it is on live.

And I;m certain that when 7.2.5 hits, that aura will go away, and the damage baked into the base damage as spellpower coefficient.

Only they already decided seed or corruption's, that 172% is what it will go live as. So in 7.2.5 seed will be just over 20% weaker than it is now.

Actually I will be surprised if we see live patch notes saying that for example Agony being changed from 54+214% to 54+234%

Baking damage into dots sounds cool, but it also bakes damage into the ramp.

Would you want totake an afflock to that second to last boss in the Cathedral of Night, you know, where you have to kill the little summoner adds? Bad enough now when you pray for big crits with UA/Reap/MG...
    Last edited by mmoc7a6bdbfc72; 2017-06-01 at 01:04 PM.

Quick question. On a single target fight like Krosus, should I ever be casting more than 2-3 UAs? If I am getting enough SC and Power Cord procs, I have been stacking them up to 5. But I feel like I am losing a lot of dps by doing so since they aren't getting drained.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaows View Post
    Quick question. On a single target fight like Krosus, should I ever be casting more than 2-3 UAs? If I am getting enough SC and Power Cord procs, I have been stacking them up to 5. But I feel like I am losing a lot of dps by doing so since they aren't getting drained.
    Depends, are you getting shard capped? Spend more shards (3-5 casts instead of two). If you are putting up UA you want to drain those UAs as much as possible.

There are multiple fights where I will spend 5 shards then drain because I know a movement, phase change, haste proc, etc. is happening and I will have extra shards and be shard capped. Typically it is somewhere in a fight where I know I have time to drain the 3-5 shards I can UA now and will recoup at least a couple before I will be able to drain again.

Part of this comes from learning the fight, figuring out what works best when and knowing to play a bit more aggressive with shard usage. Practice , pacing, instinct. As you're learning a fight and you find yourself capped you learn when you can cast more. Same if you are running low from spending too many, back it down a bit and find the happy medium that works for your situation. Every wipe is just practice to make the next wipe better with your performance and execution.

Recently picked up my lock and got it to 110 but while i really enjoy playing it im not sure about the stats i should be going for.
    Mastery is king, vers should be avoided like the plague and crit/haste are about even right?
    Are there certain threshholds i should keep in mind while gearing?
    As in; stat x becomes worth less after 110% or something?

Right now im sitting at 121% mastery; 18% crit; 12% haste and 2% vers at ilvl874 but every higher ilvl piece of gear i run into is causing a massive drop in mastery which just feels like a waste..