Deleted

Ellicott City Flood 2016, Maryland, USA

This doesn't seem to be much in the news.

Flash flood with people being swept away:

Link (direct to 2m25s in): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-sh...youtu.be&t=225

Amazing human-chain rescue:

Aftermath:

Story: 2 dead, emergency declared after historic Ellicott City ravaged by flash flood

That sucks, it's a pretty nice town too.

Deleted
    Yeah, it really sucks and my full sympathies.

It still amazes me how little people respect flowing water, even a few centimeters can be deadly.

On top of that floods can grow and speed up incredibly quickly! That first video gives you an inkling of how things can go from normal/just another day to terrifying.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate to be a dick but how the hell do you get caught in a flood while driving?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    I hate to be a dick but how the hell do you get caught in a flood while driving?
    Quite a few flood plains get paved-over and built up. People have no idea they re in a flood zone.

My dog loves it when we get the annual floods during the chinook season. She gets to pick her own dinner.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Quite a few flood plains get paved-over and built up. People have no idea they re in a flood zone.
    I understand trying to get out of a flood zone, but from the first video in the OP it looks like some where driving into the flow of water.

My dog loves it when we get the annual floods during the chinook season. She gets to pick her own dinner.
    Lol, nice. XD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Ignorance mostly. Flash flood happens a lot faster than a normal flood. People think its "fine" to drive through a little water. Suddenly it's a raging torrent and they're screwed.

Back in 2011, a town (Toowoomba) near where I live had a major flash flood through its main drag, was described as an "inland tsunami". It goes 0-100 pretty quickly.