Wow vanilla collectors ed sold for $5699 on ebay

ww.ebay.com/itm/322200489279 just add another w to see

just crazy

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess someone really wanted that Mini Diablo pet

Quote Originally Posted by Galedorn View Post
    www.ebay.com/itm/322200489279 just add another w to see

just crazy
    External links aren't disallowed in so far as I'm aware. Added the W just in case.

I can't bleeding believe someone actually bought that. Good God.

not enough post for me to be allowed to post links

Can someone enlighten me as to what would cause a human being to do that? The only thing that differs from an ordinary account is the pets right?
    Last edited by Thrif; 2016-08-01 at 05:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrif View Post
    Can someone enlighten me as to what would cause a human being to do what? The only thing that differs from an ordinary account is the pets right?
    Things like this are investments. I owned a gamestore for several years and sold a complete set of MtG cards (which at the time was Alpha thru Odyssey block) for $27,000. That same collection would be worth around $45,000 today.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Things like this are investments. I owned a gamestore for several years and sold a complete set of MtG cards (which at the time was Alpha thru Odyssey block) for $27,000. That same collection would be worth around $45,000 today.
    I guess. I'd call it a fairly risky investment however. Especially for a game with a sub count that's been going downhill straight for a few years now.

Also yeah I did the same thing with magic, although in a much, much smaller scale. Bought some UG seas when I played, and when I sold all the worthwhile cards when I quit I got 10 times the money for them that I had spent. A lot of other cards had doubled in value or so too.

And people complain it's a costly game. ^^
    Last edited by Thrif; 2016-08-01 at 05:38 AM.

I guess. I'd call it a fairly risky investment however. Especially for a game with a sub count that's been going downhill straight for a few years now.
    It would only go up even more in value if WoW died. The value is not in playing the game, but the rarity of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's insane! It makes me wish I never used my key on my account. The Mini Diablo was cool as hell for a long time when barely anyone had a pet, but now it looks so outdated due to the old model. I cringe when I remember I went back to my hometown in Mississsippi for a visit in 2007, and in the game bin at Target they had like six copies of the vanilla WoW CE sitting there. I didn't realize at the time that they were so rare or I would have got every one of them.

But yeah the price on the vanilla CE just keeps going up over time. It was going for $4000 last I saw. I'm not surprised though. There was so few made and I imagine less than 100 still unopened.

It would only go up even more in value if WoW died. The value is not in playing the game, but the rarity of it.
    Yeah, but it's worth $0 if you'll never find a buyer for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eric The Midget View Post
    That's insane! It makes me wish I never used my key on my account.
    Likewise. ^^ I totally love my Zergling, but it's not worth $5700.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Likewise. ^^ I totally love my Zergling, but it's not worth $5700.
    Haha true that. BTW, how stoked were you when you first found out Blizz made it so Grunty would fight with the zergling? My buddy had Grunty and we were in the middle of a raid when I summoned my zergling and saw it die. None of us knew what the hell happened at first.

I feel like you've got no experience with video game collectors.

Terrible NES games which nobody would ever want to play are worth thousands of dollars purely because of their rarity and nothing else.

There are always buyers for such things.

The last Alpha Black Lotus that graded a 9.5/10 sold went for $27k 3 years ago. The most valuable card, an autographed Alpha Black Lotus signed by the artist and graded 10/10, is currently for sale for $125k.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric The Midget View Post
    Haha true that. BTW, how stoked were you when you first found out Blizz made it so Grunty would fight with the zergling? My buddy had Grunty and we were in the middle of a raid when I summoned my zergling and saw it die. None of us knew what the hell happened at first.
    Haha yeah, I absolutely loved that. Found it out randomly just like you in a raid. Suddenly Grunty started shooting at my ling and I was like wtf what did I just see. Even more happy when I found out the Ling could kill him too, although that seems to happen more rarely.

Quote Originally Posted by Supercool View Post
    I feel like you've got no experience with video game collectors.

Terrible NES games which nobody would ever want to play are worth thousands of dollars purely because of their rarity and nothing else.
    True, I don't. Neither do I really understand it, as proven by my comments. But oh well, to each his own I guess.

Deleted
    Well you can see on the ebay pics that it's in perfect state, looks brand new. Pretty cool collection item.

There are always buyers for such things.

The last Alpha Black Lotus that graded a 9.5/10 sold went for $27k 3 years ago. The most valuable card, an autographed Alpha Black Lotus signed by the artist and graded 10/10, is currently for sale for $125k.
    Yeah but Black Lotus is also a disgustingly overpowered card that could be used to actually play, so people who actually play the game will always be looking for them. WoW CE is just cosmetic pets. The comparison would've been different if there were some card backs for Magic that went for that prize, or if the CE pets in WoW granted you a 10% damage buff everywhere by just being with you.

Yeah but Black Lotus is also a disgustingly overpowered card that could be used to actually play, so people who actually play the game will always be looking for them. WoW CE is just cosmetic pets. The comparison would've been different if there were some card backs for Magic that went for that prize, or if the CE pets in WoW granted you a 10% damage buff everywhere by just being with you.
    No one is ever going to play any Black Lotus that grades out a 9.5 or higher. The cards value would plummet as soon as it was used because the grade would drop. They do not buy them to play. They buy them as investments.

$5699 for a pet that loses it's "wow" factor quickly.

Worth it...!

No one is ever going to play any Black Lotus that grades out a 9.5 or higher. The cards value would plummet as soon as it was used because the grade would drop. They do not buy them to play. They buy them as investments.
    Yeah, but it's only worth that much to begin with because it's the most powerful p9 card. Compare lotuses, moxes and double lands from Alpha with all other cards from Alpha. An alpha Force of Nature, for example, is worth ~$50.

And yeah, I get that they won't play them and buy them as an investment, but there's a value in the card that doesn't exist in the others purely because of how strong it is.