Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Some people just got money to burn I guess. I mean an average person wouldn't spend that much but collectors go nuts. My dad spent about 5k collecting comics and resold them for about 29-35k back in the 90s so idk.

15+ Year Old Account
    I still have a vanila ce box never been open

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Tntdruid View Post
    Thing is worth a fortune, literally!

Not the CE, but I saw the Big Blizzard Bear going for $1k. Wish I didn't use that $40 card....

Quote Originally Posted by Thrif View Post
    Can someone enlighten me as to what would cause a human being to do that? The only thing that differs from an ordinary account is the pets right?
    The same reason a bunch of paint splashed onto a canvas can sell for a million dollars, I presume.

I guess. I'd call it a fairly risky investment however. Especially for a game with a sub count that's been going downhill straight for a few years now.

Also yeah I did the same thing with magic, although in a much, much smaller scale. Bought some UG seas when I played, and when I sold all the worthwhile cards when I quit I got 10 times the money for them that I had spent. A lot of other cards had doubled in value or so too.

And people complain it's a costly game. ^^
    The thing with these risky investments are that they're usually done by people who already have a lot of money who can afford to loose this amount of money if it doesn't pay off or they can hold on to it long enough until it does. That's why it's easier to get richer if you're already rich.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    The same reason a bunch of paint splashed onto a canvas can sell for a million dollars, I presume.
    No, that's usually money laundering. This is most likely bought as an investment by a rich person aiming to earn a lot more money in a couple of years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Would never buy it for so much, just out of fear of invalid/stolen codes.
    That's a fear you don't need to have. eBay always sides with the buyer, well almost always. They 100% will over intangible items too. This guy could scam the seller and use the key then claim it didn't work, and eBay would side with him. It's just a sad fact about it. There's so many horror stories nowadays. Hell its why they quit allowing people to sell their WoW accounts on eBay back in 2007. Too many scam escalated stories for them to deal with.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    I got a vanilla collectors edition as well but it is used so it won't fetch even anywhere near that price.

EDIT: just noticed Jtbrig7390 stating used ones go for $400, rather keep it - not worth selling.
    Yeah don't make the mistake I did. I needed cash for something stupid back in 2011 and I sold my vanilla CE box and it's goodies off to a guy in Australia on eBay for $250. And I had to fight for that price. I sent the guy a PM years later asking him to sell it back to me for $1000 provided it was still in the exact same shape, but he never replied.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric The Midget View Post
    That's a fear you don't need to have. eBay always sides with the buyer, well almost always. They 100% will over intangible items too. This guy could scam the seller and use the key then claim it didn't work, and eBay would side with him. It's just a sad fact about it. There's so many horror stories nowadays. Hell its why they quit allowing people to sell their WoW accounts on eBay back in 2007. Too many scam escalated stories for them to deal with.
    eBay used to have a shifty past, that is why I don't dare anymore. Hehe. Though, lets not talk about things that break ToS to avoid derail.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

There are a lot of single dude nerds out there with nothing to spend all their money on :P

Hey, if someone has the scratch and feels it is worth his money, who am I to judge? It's not like he spent MY money, so no need for me to feel triggered.

Can someone enlighten me as to what would cause a human being to do that? The only thing that differs from an ordinary account is the pets right?
    Well it comes with: WoW Behind the Scenes DVD, Collector's Edition Soundtrack, The Art of World of Warcraft Book, Collector's Edition Manual and an Azeroth Cloth Map too. The box is pretty sweet as well.

So i wonder how much a opened complete CE is worth, because i have that stored away in my closet.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Look at it this way.. not everyone is poor. They once asked Paul Phillips why he played world series of poker. He had made 2 billion dollars selling his tech company. He said it's the cheapest thing he could do for a weekend at 10k buy-in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    eBay used to have a shifty past, that is why I don't dare anymore. Hehe. Though, lets not talk about things that break ToS to avoid derail.
    Yeah eBay was dangerous and is but like I said mostly for sellers. There's some horror stories of people buying expensive laptops, getting a refund, and sending back random crap like rocks that weighs exactly what the laptop weighed. Al eBay and PayPal care about is that the UPS or whatever shows it was delivered back to the seller. Then they refund.

Also it's totally fine to discuss eBays old policy on WoW accounts. I've seen moderators discuss it. It's like discussing certain famous WoW bots. Everyone knows the name of it and no ones linking the website or advocating selling of illegal products. It'd be different if eBay allowed said illegal activity, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hemanse View Post
    So i wonder how much a opened complete CE is worth, because i have that stored away in my closet.
    Not much. $400 max and only if it's in mint condition with nothing but the case itself opened. You'll get around $200-300 on average.

Rich people. God love 'em for employing us and helping to pay the majority of the US tax bill each year...but the stuff they spend their money on.

one day I'd love to have so much cash that I'm like "yo hun I'm gonna take 100,000 from our account and buy some rare video game crap with it ok?"......

I'd buy one if I had so much money that it wouldn't hurt me at all. Why not? There are stupider things I could spend more money on that would make me less happy :P

Couple years back I spent closer to $300 for the TBC CE just because it was the one I did not have. No ragrets, besides not buying the CE in the first place.

Panda Cub is still best pet, though. Closely followed by Baby Blizzard Bear, for which I still have the item you originally used to learn it (along with the Onyxian Whelpling item) even though they are useless now.
    Last edited by Jaese; 2016-08-03 at 12:55 AM.
    Stormrage US | Aesryn

Quote Originally Posted by Tntdruid View Post
    Same, and every other WoW CE as well. They are not for sale though.

10+ Year Old Account
    $5699 is not that much for some of us.

It's an amount non wealthy but working collectors can spend occasionally.

One day the blue murloc pet will be worth $10000.

I am a proud owner of a CE. I waited outside an electronics boutique at my local mall, i remember the feeling of picking up WoW.... The CE also has a soundtrack, the original game on multiple discs, a cloth map, art book, dvd detailing the creation of the opening Cinematic. Mini Diablo is still badass after all these years. Its my ace in the hole if my minfernal isnt enough to put rival pet collectors in their place ().