Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    5th did away with Monks having to be Lawful?
    Yes, same thing with Paladins being reworked as centered around a style of oath instead of a particular alignment ideal or service to a specific god. Also, Barbarians aren't locked into being non-lawful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Role playing game on tabletop - For some reason, I imagine a girl dancing on a table dressed up cosplay style.
    I would enjoy that even more.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Mordheim!!!!
    use to play that years ago, really enjoyed my dark elf warband. To bad they never balanced skaven.

As for some other tabletop RPG's i've played. D&D from 3rd edition onwards, Pathfinder, Savage worlds, Frostgrave, Fate + a few other small ones im forgetting atm.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    Yes, same thing with Paladins being reworked as centered around a style of oath instead of a particular alignment ideal or service to a specific god. Also, Barbarians aren't locked into being non-lawful.
    Cool. I knew the bit about the Paladin, which makes about a thousand percent more sense than being forced into Lawful Stupid. I need to give 5th a spin one of these days... Are there playable orcs/half-orcs yet, or is it still standard human/elf/dwarf/midget/tiefling?

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

I played AD&D when I was younger. It was hard to get a group of people together that I liked. I am much happier that we have games like wow instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alski View Post
    use to play that years ago, really enjoyed my dark elf warband. To bad they never balanced skaven.

As for some other tabletop RPG's i've played. D&D from 3rd edition onwards, Pathfinder, Savage worlds, Frostgrave, Fate + a few other small ones im forgetting atm.
    LOL! True indeed. My buddy and I had EPIC Skaven vs Dwarf wars. Skaven's numbers, vs Dwarves resilience.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cool. I knew the bit about the Paladin, which makes about a thousand percent more sense than being forced into Lawful Stupid. I need to give 5th a spin one of these days... Are there playable orcs/half-orcs yet, or is it still standard human/elf/dwarf/midget/tiefling?
    Half-Orcs have been around for a long while though. In 5th they get a neat ability to essentially cheat death 1/day. If they are not killed outright, when reduced to 0 they instead are reduced to 1. Reminds me of TJ Combo in Killer Instinct, "A Fireball blasts the Gama the Half-Orc Barbarian. She drops to one knee, but gathers her strength and slams a fist into the ground shouting, "I ain't done yet". With a surge of energy she stands back up and tightens her grip on the battleaxe."
    SWTOR Friend Referral Code: http://www.swtor.com/r/kg3Sch

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    Half-Orcs have been around for a long while though. In 5th they get a neat ability to essentially cheat death 1/day. If they are not killed outright, when reduced to 0 they instead are reduced to 1. Reminds me of TJ Combo in Killer Instinct, "A Fireball blasts the Gama the Half-Orc Barbarian. She drops to one knee, but gathers her strength and slams a fist into the ground shouting, "I ain't done yet". With a surge of energy she stands back up and tightens her grip on the battleaxe."
    Ah delightful! Never understood why the half-orc had stopped being a core race, though to be honest, it might be a story reason, and I don't know a lot about the Faerun story so *shrug*. They - kinda - have the same ability in Pathfinder... Kinda. Is there a link to them or something? Kinda wanna see if they are still typecasted as butt-ugly, snot-for-brains brutes.

EDIT: I found this https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/...lf-Orc#content - Seems neat enough. Still a bit too much "Me smash, you die!", but it's better than the old D&D stuff where they'd suck as anything other than a fighter or barbarian, and looked like a sack of shit.
    Last edited by Venziir; 2016-08-04 at 03:57 PM.

Deleted
    I play tabletop RPGs for almost 20 years now. Whew.

I have started with Earthdawn (fantasy RPG), then moved to Vampire: The Masquerade, also played Mage and Changeling at that time. Then my group dabbled a bit with Star Trek, and settled with Ars Magica for some years. I also have tried Dungeons & Dragons in different editions, and currently play Pathfinder. I have also tried out Degenesis, Legend of the 5 Rings, CyberGeneration, 2 different editions of Warhammer Fantasy, and Call of Cthulhu, to mention a few. InSpectres was also a great and funny experience.

I have also hosted some campaigns: Some fantasy storylines in my own created world, also a campaign for Changeling: the Dreaming, and subsequent Vampire (thin-blooded), Mage and WoD-Crossover in the same place (a fictional city in England, I call it "my Sunnydale", because I am also a great fan of Buffy *g*). I have also hosted 2 different takes on the Giovanni Chronicles (Parts I-III, both groups didn't want to play Part IV because they would lose their characters there), and currently host a new Changeling storyline settled in Bavaria (revolving around some items from the posession of King Ludwig, who was a potent dreamer in my version of history, and unknowingly has turned these items into faerie treasures).

Edit: I currently enjoy my Pathfinder half-elven sorceress (infernal bloodline) very much. She is the type of character who likes to see the world burn. We are an evil group. *g*
    Last edited by mmoceb1073a651; 2016-08-04 at 04:03 PM.

DnD 5e, currently I am a Deaths Domain Cleric .

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    I used to play D&D with a few college buddies. I found it to be a lot of fun, but it was difficult to devote that amount of time and still get stuff done (I'm talking 6-8 hour sessions). Sadly, I've since moved and I don't know anyone that would be interested in playing D&D where I live.
    Yeah, I play with college friends as well, and we typically go for about 6-hour sessions. We usually try to do it on Saturday evenings, but we sometimes have issues where someone has to deal with work stuff or whatever else and can't make it, and we usually just call it off if one person can't make it (our group is usually 4 people - 3 players and one DM). As it stands now, we haven't gotten together since about May and probably won't be able to the whole month of August. Looks like we're probably going to be holding off until about September.

There are a few online options for tabletop gaming (stuff like roll20), but to me, it's not the same as getting together in person with friends and playing. The online options never really did it for me.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2016-08-04 at 04:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    DnD 5e, currently I am a Deaths Domain Cleric .
    How are you liking the Cleric? My current character is a Fighter-Battlemaster/Cleric-Light, and the Cleric is a pretty awesome class on its own. How useful are you finding the Death domain?

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    How are you liking the Cleric? My current character is a Fighter-Battlemaster/Cleric-Light, and the Cleric is a pretty awesome class on its own. How useful are you finding the Death domain?
    Deaths Domain gets a lot of necrotic damage spells, and their channel divinity is 5 + 2 x Cleric Level necrotic damage, they also get a bonus on melee attack per turn for 1 D8 necrotic, and then in goes up to 2 D8 necrotic at like 14. They also become Necrotic Adepts at like level 8 or 9. Also when you become Deaths Domain you get Reaping which lets you choose a necromancy cantrip which gains the ability to also target an additional enemy within 5 feet. So chill touch on 2 targets at later levels starts to hurt for example lol. Then reaping upgrades at level 17 and lets you do it to any spell up to 5th level, so you could do double blight for free.

Ah delightful! Never understood why the half-orc had stopped being a core race, though to be honest, it might be a story reason, and I don't know a lot about the Faerun story so *shrug*. They - kinda - have the same ability in Pathfinder... Kinda. Is there a link to them or something? Kinda wanna see if they are still typecasted as butt-ugly, snot-for-brains brutes.

EDIT: I found this https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/...lf-Orc#content - Seems neat enough. Still a bit too much "Me smash, you die!", but it's better than the old D&D stuff where they'd suck as anything other than a fighter or barbarian, and looked like a sack of shit.
    They were core in 3.x, and got added pretty quick in 4e, now back to core for 5e. Also, I'd use this instead: http://www.5esrd.com/

They're a very strong combat-oriented race. That extra damage die on crits(critical hits mean you roll all your damage dice twice)can bring some serious pain. Bonus d12 with Greataxe. Ouch. The runaway stat game is greatly reduced in 5e, so you're not nearly as penalized for playing a race unoptimized for your primary stat as you once were.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Role playing game on tabletop - For some reason, I imagine a girl dancing on a table dressed up cosplay style.
    That's called Live Action Role Play, or LARP.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    They were core in 3.x, and got added pretty quick in 4e, now back to core for 5e. Also, I'd use this instead: http://www.5esrd.com/

They're a very strong combat-oriented race. That extra damage die on crits(critical hits mean you roll all your damage dice twice)can bring some serious pain. Bonus d12 with Greataxe. Ouch. The runaway stat game is greatly reduced in 5e, so you're not nearly as penalized for playing a race unoptimized for your primary stat as you once were.
    Sounds good all-in-all. I've yet to play 5th, and only played a few hours of 4th. How is 5th? I've read that it's the "ultimate" mix of 3.5 and 4th, meaning that it's much more fluid and fast, but doesn't feel like a bad MMORPG with odd self-healing and daily powers. Supposedly it isn't filled with arbitrary skills or rolls like 3.5 - Which sounds good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds good all-in-all. I've yet to play 5th, and only played a few hours of 4th. How is 5th? I've read that it's the "ultimate" mix of 3.5 and 4th, meaning that it's much more fluid and fast, but doesn't feel like a bad MMORPG with odd self-healing and daily powers. Supposedly it isn't filled with arbitrary skills or rolls like 3.5 - Which sounds good.
    5th is good, but having played since 1st edition I prefer 3.0/3.5 of them all. What 5th Edition goes for is ease of play, so it removes a lot of the weird technical stuff and simplifies most of the bonuses and penalties.

5th is good, but having played since 1st edition I prefer 3.0/3.5 of them all. What 5th Edition goes for is ease of play, so it removes a lot of the weird technical stuff and simplifies most of the bonuses and penalties. Instead of worrying about adding up 5 different factors to come up with +4 to a skill, they simplify it to Advantage (roll 2 dice and take the highest) or Disadvantage (roll 2 dice and take the lowest). Since you have much fewer factors to add up, your bonuses are a lot smaller too. So as a 5th level character my guy has a +6 to Hit (+3 Proficiency, +3 Strength). Monsters are also adjusted to have more HP, but less AC. That way you hit more often.

One of my favorite things in 5th is the inclusion of Backgrounds. So your character's total skillset is determined not only by Class, but by Background and Race as well. This way you can end up with a Cleric who is proficient in picking locks, a Fighter adept with Stealth, or a Wizard who can make Athletics checks. This gives you a very robust way to create a unique character and fill in party skill gaps.

Without a doubt, one of my least favorite things is how they handle proficiencies in 5th. All classes get the same proficiency bonus at the same time. So a level 20 Wizard has the same bonus to attack with a club as a level 20 Fighter (the difference being that the Wizard probably won't have as high of a Strength as the Fighter). But the counter to that is that the 20 Fighter gets to make 4 Attacks all at the max Hit bonus (instead of prior editions where first was at max and each additional attack had less to Hit).

i don't have any friends that would be interested in something like that

Other things about 5e are the end of the glow-in-the-dark spellbuffs club. Most buff/debuff spells require you to keep concentration, which unless you 'cheat' with metamagic(something only Sorcerors can do now)you can only do one spell effect at a time(Sorcerors can Twin a given spell, letting them keep up, for example, two castings of Haste, or Telekinesis, etc.).

Overall, the rules aren't nearly as crunchy as 3.x was, it's not as easy as it was in that system to progress monsters mechanically or make, say, a Troll Barbarian like you used to. There are Unearthed Arcana web articles with playtest material to help expand options, but those can vary wildly in their balance or completion. There are guidelines for conversion and gauging challenge of altered/new enemies and such like, but YMMV on that.

If you wanted a more balanced system that still keeps the feel of 3.x, I'd recommend Pathfinder. They really tried to evolve 3.x instead of reinvent the wheel like with 4th, or create a stripped-down version of Pathfinder, which is basically what 5e works like in philosophy(focus on many options for core classes instead of drowning you in prestige classes).