Thread: College Dorms

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Living in dorms blows. Don't go to any of the events/activities, they all suck ass. The walls are paper thin and the rooms are tiny, so any "parties" will have to be fairly quiet unless you have a cool RA, which will not be the case.

If you have no friends and go walking around on moving day trying to be social, don't make friends with anyone happy to be living in the dorms. They are losers. Make friends in your classes and hope that they have an apartment/house.

Don't be a weirdo around your roommate. Be clean and don't use his stuff without asking. Hope that he does the same.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Get there as early as possible and choose the best bed/closet/desk. I know it's selfish, but fuck it.
    That's a good one, I got fucked by coming in last.

My own tips:

Get cheap toiletries (soap, shampoo, toothbrush, etc), buying them from the campus is a bit more expensive.

Invest in a cheap mini-fridge (if space allows), cold drinks are awesome and in high demand.

Know where the marts are when in need of anything.

Don't over-pack, you'll regret carrying around massive luggage to your dorm.

Stay minimal and neat.

Oh and spend time in the dorm's rec room, that's the place to meet people. Mine was lucky enough to supply large TVs and game systems. Played more Smash Bros than WoW during my college life.
    Last edited by kail; 2016-08-03 at 03:26 AM.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarilex View Post
    But even more so with a failed romantic relationship. That was the point I was trying to get across.
    But if you're straight and you have a gay roommate no romance will ever arise. Unless you're talking about a gay guy/girl being infatuated with a straight roommate and unrequited love comes into play then yeah that could be awkward but I don't think it's that likely to happen tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    But if you're straight and you have a gay roommate no romance will ever arise. Unless you're talking about a gay guy/girl being infatuated with a straight roommate and unrequited love comes into play then yeah that could be awkward but I don't think it's that likely to happen tbh.
    He's saying that if you're gay and your roommate is also gay, don't have a gay relationship with them. Extremely simple to understand.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    You don't seem to have understood. The OP is gay (check the name). It was a cautionary post just in case his roommate also is, like how both myself and my roommate are. If one is straight the situation will never come up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    He's saying that if you're gay and your roommate is also gay, don't have a gay relationship with them. Extremely simple to understand.
    Oh you know what, you're right. Reading it again and I skimmed the "also". My bad. Yeah that's def good advice, don't start a romantic relationship with someone that you already live with.

Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    This, basically. It's just a bad idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarilex View Post
    You don't seem to have understood. The OP is gay (check the name). It was a cautionary post just in case his roommate also is, like how both myself and my roommate are. If one is straight the situation will never come up.
    Yeah my bad, your advice was solid if OP is gay. Although I don't think the name has anything to do with it but it's still sound advice.

Deleted
    Here's my advice: Don't go live in a dorm if you can at all avoid it.

Find some private housing, shared apartment if you have to instead if money is an issue.

Maybe it's just me but all the other drunk college morons would bother me endlessly.
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2016-08-03 at 03:51 AM.

OP make sure you're the alpha of the room, I made sure from day one of college that 75% of the room was mine. No, I'm not joking about this. I legit put my room mate into the corner. Also in order to do this make sure you arrive first. I messed this up the 2nd year but all other years I claimed the majority of the room.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    OP make sure you're the alpha of the room, I made sure from day one of college that 75% of the room was mine. No, I'm not joking about this. I legit put my room mate into the corner. Also in order to do this make sure you arrive first. I messed this up the 2nd year but all other years I claimed the majority of the room.
    You're lucky that wasn't me, or I would have told you to go eat a bag of bat shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks guys. You've been really helpful. And yes I'm gay but I have a boyfriend that lives in the same town as the college I'm going to be going to so even if my roommate was gay, there would be no hanky panky going on with him. In fact I'll be staying weekends at his family's house since the campus cafeteria isn't open on weekends & closes down at like 1 or 2PM on Fridays. As for anyone who suggests moving in with him & his family, I would if I could. I'm staying there temporarily but his mom is going to be taking in foster kids & I can't be a full time resident of the home without paying for fingerprinting & a background check (both of which I would pass but its the money for them that's the issue lol).

Oh yeah I had planned on moving in the first day possible & the earliest time possible too. My future roommate is going on vacation & not sure when he'll be back that week so I'll have the place to myself possibly. That and I talked to the dorm supervisor and requested a bed that's a little lower to the ground since the beds I saw were up past my waist when I did my tour (and I'm 6' tall so that's saying something LMAO). I just didn't want to have to hop into bed and jump down every time I got in & out of bed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Dont lock yourself up with your gamer roommate and miss out on all the cool stuff in college like drunken backyard sex and shit.
    I'm sure they can do both if it really clicks.

Edit: I didn't read the whole thread so the whole thing seems a bit ironic now.
    Last edited by mmoc2947244a93; 2016-08-03 at 04:57 AM.

Talk top them and explain what you like/dislike, and listen to them. Make sure that you are all on the same page. And understand that some things will not be hashed out right away and you may find an issue later on to chat about.

So. long as they understand that they can drink your cola, but should replace it immediately with the same brand if they finish it, everything will be good.

And keep expensive items locked up. No matter how cool a person is, just tell them you lock shit up on principal and to not be offended.

Experience: 3 years living in a Campus Dorm. 8 years living in Army Barracks (basically the same thing)

Sharing a room with a stranger, I'd rather take the 1.5 hour commute (one way) I did.. but then I don't live in the united states of vast emptiness.

Well, greet everybody in the nude. That'll make lots and lots of friends.

Live it up. You'll only get this opportunity once, so enjoy the fuck out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    I'm going to be moving into my college's dorms in 2 weeks and wanted some advice/tips/feedback/expectations from any of you who have done that before. I already have my roommate assignment and luckily he's a gamer so I'm hoping we'll get along. Thanks for your feedback and such.
    For moving in the dorm? Move in a day late as everyone else will show up as soon as possible because they think it will get them out sooner. I always moved in either early or late to avoid the crowd I lived in a 13 story building and the elevators were busy as hell.
    Go to class and pay attention that is all I needed to do to earn a 3.5 GPA. Don't schedule classes before noon if you can help it. Make friends with people a year older than you and find out what professors/under grad teachers are try-hards. This will help make your life easier after that dreaded first semester. Nothing sucks worse than the Graduate student who is majoring in Philosophy and thinks it is mandatory for life these guys will expect you to to do double the amount of work a normal class should. Be active with people in your major and ask them questions when you have them most professors don't change what they do as they are lazy someone who took the class previously can make your life easier.
    Last edited by vindicatorx; 2016-08-03 at 01:23 PM.

I faked a chinese accent my first day. Everyone thought I was a foreign exchange student, rofl. Met a bunch of friends with that first impression.