Help with new rig for legion

Hey folks. Time has come to put my 9y/o hp office pc out to pasture and I could use some help replacing her. RIP good buddy

First..

$750'ish
    WoW / as high as budget allows
    nothing else taxing
    US
    no salvage parts
    yep OS
    nope, got those covered (ASUS 60hz / Logitech 600,710+)

Additionally, I..

do need an optic drive.
    want an SSD and think I also want an IHD to keep things separate but not sure its necessary.
    do plan to OC since I read that WoW is ripe for it.. true?
    will build it myself.
    know absolutely nothing about computers.

Been doing a LOT of reading on the forums and see that the 6600k/Z170/1060 are the standard bearers. I've played around on the parts picker and every combo I come up with puts me at 1k'ish and I'm hoping you guys n gals can help trim that down.

I'm not concerned about the look of the case, just that it has good air flow. I don't care about color coordination or any of that jazz. I really don't care about high end parts with a ton of extras when there is a simpler model that will do the job well. I want function.. to hell with form and I'm hoping this is where the savings come in.

Any help you wizards can provide will be greatly appreciated. Cheers

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($110.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170-GAMING 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($87.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: OCZ TRION 150 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($62.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GAMING Video Card ($249.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ B&H)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.88 @ OutletPC)
    Other: Windows 10 - Kinguin.net ($26.50)
    Total: $766.79
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-03 12:52 EDT-0400

If you can add a little more I suggest this case: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/jrVB...ase-phes515pbk
    Last edited by Thunderball; 2016-08-03 at 04:54 PM.

Not quite possible to do 750, this is as close as i could get it with a 6600k and 1060:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($238.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Vortex Plus 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($25.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($102.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Team Elite Plus 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($33.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GAMING Video Card ($249.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Rosewill Galaxy-02 ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($37.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.89 @ OutletPC)
    Other: Windows 10 ($27.64)
    Total: $814.44
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-03 13:02 EDT-0400

If you live near a microcenter you can get it down to 781 if you buy cpu/motherboard there.

Thanks for the replies. Was out of town and came back to find that the wife had went on a crazy shopping spree... I upped the budget.

Using builds/info I've gathered from both of you on this site I just pulled the trigger on this list and some quiet edition fans:

i5-6600k
    H100i v2
    ASUS z170-a lg1151
    corsair vengeance 16g ddr4-3000 (2x8)
    850 evo
    WD blue 1t
    msi 1060 6g armor oc
    phanteks pro m acrylic
    evga g2 650+ gold

Putting this together will be easy enough as well as loading the OS. The BIOS however has me lost.

Do I just take the BIOS at face value or are there specific things I need to change/tweak? I can find all sorts of information on what I can change, just nothing on what I should change.

on a side note..

Thunderball.. I notice your builds rarely include a cooler. Any specific reason?

Fascinate.. you rarely include internal HDs. Not necessary in your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by lowandbehold View Post
    Thunderball.. I notice your builds rarely include a cooler. Any specific reason?

Fascinate.. you rarely include internal HDs. Not necessary in your opinion?
    A lot of the builds Thunderball recommends are not k-series CPUs and therefore are not able to be OCed. If not OCing, you don't need an aftermarket Cooler, stock Cooler is more than enough.

SSDs are where it is at. Unless you have need of storage, which many people do not, then all you need is an SSD. If you find you do need storage later, it is far easier to just add an HDD than it is to re-install windows to a new SSD.

Makes sense, thanks for that.

Deleted
    my 2 Cents:

if you dont OC, you dont need a K-cpu.
    if you dont OC, you can go with a much cheeper board! asus has pretty good smaller ones.
    if you dont OC, you dont need an aftermarket cooler.

for playing wow you dont need an ssd! ssd means your pc boots very fast, but it gives no extra gaming power. once your pc is running, you wont notice the ssd.
    dont get me wrong... a ssd is very nice, but not needed. i can live without a ssd in my gaming pc.

Quote Originally Posted by axiom View Post
    my 2 Cents:

if you dont OC, you dont need a K-cpu.
    if you dont OC, you can go with a much cheeper board! asus has pretty good smaller ones.
    if you dont OC, you dont need an aftermarket cooler.

for playing wow you dont need an ssd! ssd means your pc boots very fast, but it gives no extra gaming power. once your pc is running, you wont notice the ssd.
    dont get me wrong... a ssd is very nice, but not needed. i can live without a ssd in my gaming pc.
    Noted. I do plan to OC which is why I bought those and the fast boot, fast OS/game loading is precisely why I wanted an SSD. Can't tell you how much time I waste waiting on my current pc to load anything.

The BIOS part.. might as well be another language as I just don't get it. Need more classes from professor Youtube I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by axiom View Post
    It can have a pretty drastic effect on WoW loading times. Also, in certain situations, like busy cities and flying up high, it can prevent juttering, since in those situations the game can not pre-cache everything it needs, it is grabbing a lot of stuff from storage. You can test this yourself just running through a busy city. When I did it last, before this pre-patch a bit, there was a good 5-10 difference in my Min and Avg. FPS. Max stayed the same obviously, but it prevented some of the dips due to loading data from storage.

Certainly something someone can live without. Not really needed. But if you also don't need 1TB Storage for anything, an SSD is nice to have.

If you're not overclocking right away the only thing you should change is setting your Ai Overclock Tuner to XMP mode (make sure to switch to Advanced mode first). If you're overclocking, on ASUS boards this step is the last one. Your build is good, I wouldnt advice on getting a AIO WC (not worth the money) but out the AIO options it's a decent one.

Lathais is right about the non-K builds.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Thanks for the XMP tip. I will overclock, just need to get more comfortable with the process. I know there's software that make it stupid easy but from what I'm reading/seeing it's BIOS oc or gtfo. And the tip on XMP being last with this mobo lines up with what I've found also so it seems I'm on the right path, which is reassuring.

The WC was purely an aesthetic choice.

Really appreciate all the help folks, thanks.