How will a new PC build affect WoW (on it's own SSD Drive)?

My old (current) system:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz
    RAM: Kingston 4GB DDR3 667mhz
    MOBO: Asus P8P67 LGA 1155
    GPU: Asus GeForce GTX560Ti 1GB

My planned new system:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4GHz
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3000
    MOBO: Asus Maximus VIII Hero LGA1151
    GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX980Ti 6GB Waterforce

My SSD drive is currently partitioned into two parts: My C: Drive (Windows 7), and my Games drive (where WoW is currently installed) . The question is, when I assemble my new PC and do a fresh install of Windows 10 on C: Drive, will World of Warcraft still be fully operational, or will I have to reinstall it all over again?

And if a complete reinstall IS required, what is the best way to do that? I have all retail boxes from vanilla to WoD, but surely a fresh install can't mean "Install Classic, then upgrade it to BC, then upgrade it to WotLK, then upgrade it to Cata, then...."

Quote Originally Posted by thottstation View Post
    Thats DDR2, not 3

My old (current) system:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz
    MOBO: Asus P8P67 LGA 1155
    GPU: Asus GeForce GTX560Ti 1GB

My planned new system:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4GHz
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3000
    MOBO: Asus Maximus VIII Hero LGA1151
    GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX980Ti 6GB Waterforce

My SSD drive is currently partitioned into two parts: My C: Drive (Windows 7), and my Games drive (where WoW is currently installed) . The question is, when I assemble my new PC and do a fresh install of Windows 10 on C: Drive, will World of Warcraft still be fully operational, or will I have to reinstall it all over again?

And if a complete reinstall IS required, what is the best way to do that? I have all retail boxes from vanilla to WoD, but surely a fresh install can't mean "Install Classic, then upgrade it to BC, then upgrade it to WotLK, then upgrade it to Cata, then...."
    Have you played WoW in the last few years lol? You just download the battle net client and it installs everything automatically.

You can copy your WoW folders to a different hard drive, and then when you're done reinstalling Windows, copy it back. Then download the Battle.net client, install it, and once it's installed and running, it will give you the option to locate your WoW folder.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by captainrex View Post
    Thats DDR2, not 3
    It's not DDR2, it's DDR3, they just listed it the way some things (like speccy) show it at its single rate. DDR3 667 is 1333.

will World of Warcraft still be fully operational, or will I have to reinstall it all over again?
    In theory, it -should- just run, if it's on the D drive. However if you reinstall, just download the battle.net client, point it to where you want it, and it'll do all the work for you. No CD's, no incremental updates or installs.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

15+ Year Old Account
    Normally during install you delete all the disk partitions and let Windows realign them correctly (new recovery partition, EFI partition etc). If you just keep the D: drive and delete the others you should be OK, but make sure the partition isn't encrypted or any of that jazz.

A clean install of the game is as simple as opening Battle.net and clicking Install, it will download the latest version of the game including all patches. Ironically with modern internet connections this is faster than installing sequentially off the DVDs.

You can save download if you backup the content of C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft, start the install via Battle.net, cancel and then copy the backup over the new folder.
    When you reopen Battle.net it will detect the added data, align everything and finish installing any new patches.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

when you reinstall windows just dont reformat / delete the partition with the games on it. You will encounter games missing the directx and vcredist and C+++ stuff should automatically install again when you try to launch the game.

I have 2 drives an ssd for windows and an old western digital for games. I have installed windows 3 times this year alone its great having 2 drives leave the other one alone with the games and because its left in NTFS format windows can read all the stuff just fine after a fresh install.