Best pet for a Survival Hunter?

I am new to the class and wanted any suggestions or does it even matter what pet I choose?

it doesn't matter, pick what you think looks best

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aseral View Post
    sporebat!!
    for ppl that dont get it

Also thought I'd ask if there are any cool looking wolf rares people would recommend.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabseeker View Post
    for ppl that dont get it
    [video/video]
    Awesome ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Get a hydra.

Hail Hydra.

Quote Originally Posted by Ickabob View Post
    Get a hydra.

Hail Hydra.
    Thats my Hydra's name.

As for the pet, as said above go with the skin/sound you like the best. I like tigers, that "roar" makes sense to me. ((Im lvling a Surv, with my character named Kravinoff, pet's name Sergei. Named after Kraven, a Spiderman's villain). If you go spider, prepare for a lot of "Ikssss Iksss" (like snakes). Some pet have unique abilities, but except Cat (for that +20% damage on stealth for the next ability), I dont think any provide additional damage. And pet buff are gone so you're free to use what you want.

If you PvP, you probably want either a spider or a Mortal Strike debuffing pet ( Carrion bird or River beast )

For pve, whatever you like best man.

10+ Year Old Account
    For PvE, I always recommend either a crane (Battle Rez) or Nether Ray (Bloodlust), especially if doing lfr and/or mythic dungeons
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    Disclaimer: *Soon* is a registered trademark of Blizzard Entertainment. *Soon* may not actually occur soon. *Soon* will occur sometime between right now and the heat death of the universe...probably... We COULD make *Soon* occur sooner, but it would cost you a raid tier.

10+ Year Old Account
    I rather enjoy crabs because of their harden shell special ability. Gives them a fair amount of survivability and the vanilla crab models are just the cutest.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelthos View Post
    I rather enjoy crabs because of their harden shell special ability. Gives them a fair amount of survivability and the vanilla crab models are just the cutest.
    some pet families are just skins now, example wolfs, correct me if I'm wrong, but they got no special ability, cats at least have prowl

7+ Year Old Account
    If you're PVP I'd go with a mortal strike debuff pet, http://www.wow-petopia.com/ something like a scorpid.
    The above post should never be taken seriously in any shape or form. Failure to do so might result in laughing matters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Spiders or Raptors look the coolest imo.
    Personality: INTJ

“Greatness, at any cost.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Firestar View Post
    For PvE, I always recommend either a crane (Battle Rez) or Nether Ray (Bloodlust), especially if doing lfr and/or mythic dungeons
    This. If you don't care about these two buffs, then any pets will do. All of them can be switched of "school", which mean any pets can tank/DPS/support now.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

wow-petopia(dot)com is a great resource for pets. Where to find them, which are exotic (BM only), pictures and abilities. Match the ability for what you need. You can have a total of 5 pets 'active' (at level 82) and another 20 can be stabled.

I did read that in 7.1 some pets have the ability to give is a mongoose proc. I read that at icy veins
    - The Hunter's Creed -
    "This is my pet. There are many others like him, but this one is mine. He is my best friend. He is my life. I must master him as I master my life. My pet, without me, is useless. Without my pet, I am useless."

Quote Originally Posted by deeveeus View Post
    I did read that in 7.1 some pets have the ability to give is a mongoose proc. I read that at icy veins
    That is what I have read and recall which is why survival pet choice was key.

"As of Patch 7.1, Ferocity pets are now more desirable than Tenacity pets once again. This is due in large part to the fact that pet auto attacks can now proc Hunting Companion. Ferocity pets gain 10% additional attack speed, which translates into 10% more auto attacks. Additionally, for Survival, special abilities that certain pet families use also have a chance to give you a charge of Mongoose Bite. These include:

Carrion Birds with Bloody Screech Icon Bloody Screech
    Riverbeasts with Gruesome Bite Icon Gruesome Bite
    Scorpids with Deadly Sting Icon Deadly Sting

You want to use one of those pets and set its special ability to be autocast on the target, or macro it into your abilities to ensure it is used as often as possible."