Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    When I just can't stand the manager anymore and plan on moving somewhere else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornerybear View Post
    Just wondering what people feel is the final straw, either from a personal line you have or a situation you have been in before.

I have a very turbulent job, I run the design department at a prototyping company and it is stressful from the owner to the clients to the work of our shop people and its always a problem to be solved. we had a terrible client this week that made me think, "is this really worth it?!". he's one of those that will never be happy, and may be a con-artist defrauding the state of south dakota...

I always approach every situation with the analysis, "you have three choices. either change it, accept it, or walk away".

right now i can't change it, i could accept it, or i could walk away...I'm real close to saying I can't accept it...soo....

SO, again that leads me to my original thread title, what is your turning point or line in the sand. what makes you finally say, "fuck this, enough's enough".
    I was working as an Assistant Manager at Gamestop, and me and 1 other person had to work with snot literally pouring out of our noses because we had no one to cover us. On top of that the Manager comes rolling in 5 hours past the start of his shift. This means that not only did neither of us get a break, we hadn't eaten either. This is all during Christmas mind you. Then as I am packing up to leave he comes marching into the back and starts to chew me out because certain things weren't done yet. I told him to fuck off and quit. Went back to school and never looked back.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have another job lined up go for it. I'm in a similar situation right now, and have been in the past but much much worse. Nothing is worth you being miserable or that unhappy. You most likely won't like your job, few do. But if it is making you unhappy and you dread going there everyday and you can't stomach the thought of it anymore it is absolutely time to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    It's one client. The nature of your work seems to indicate that you won't work with this client forever. Do you like other aspects of your job? Sounds to me like you're just venting; if not maybe take that client out of the equation and determine if the client is the problem, the job itself or some other aspect of work/life that you're unhappy with.

I'd definitely talk to your boss or whoever is in charge of client contracts on placing a limit/charge on the amount of revisions a client can get for free, if you're charging hourly then it's nbd but a difficult client who is requesting endless changes can end up costing you money in the long run.

A lawyer on retainer can help you draft a suitable project contract that you can modify for most clients; if you're a small outfit then I'd consider reading up on the basics of contract law (fairly simple to understand) and use sample contracts from other small business websites.
    that's the shitty thing, we've been "helping" this guy out for months. owner didn't involve himself. me and the 2nd in command ops manager have been dealing with making the guy happy. second he didnt get what he wanted while the ops manager was on vacation, he went straight to the owner and tried to throw us under the bus to get what he wanted. owner chose to lecture us and assumed we didnt do due diligence and wouldnt listen to the contrary. we have no problems with other clients.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    When you have another job lined up.

Then you give two weeks notice.

And keep your bridges unburnt.

Unless you are about to /wrists you really shouldn't quit a job without having something else lined up.
    This, as much as I can't stand my job and want to quit, ya can't until something else is lined up, or you're about to literally fucking snap.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

that's the shitty thing, we've been "helping" this guy out for months. owner didn't involve himself. me and the 2nd in command ops manager have been dealing with making the guy happy. second he didnt get what he wanted while the ops manager was on vacation, he went straight to the owner and tried to throw us under the bus to get what he wanted. owner chose to lecture us and assumed we didnt do due diligence and wouldnt listen to the contrary. we have no problems with other clients.
    Okay so you have a problem with one client and want to quit? Everything else about your job you enjoy? You know that seems a little silly, correct?

Lay out what's happening with this particular client to your boss and depending on the nature of your relationship with your boss, you can either tell him that you can't deal with this guy anymore and try to pass the buck to the owner so he can deal with him (or another manager), or ask him what you think you should do to make this guy happy. Be specific and detailed with what you've done so far before asking him this. Tell him that you need him in your corner on this one because it's causing morale issues with the team etc.

That will probably be enough to get the ball rolling, if nothing changes and your boss continues to act defensive towards the difficult client then you can start hinting at quitting at a second follow-up meeting (if you're seriously that discontent and willing to deal with the consequences if your boss doesn't want to play ball).

Give your boss a chance to make it right first. Overall I think wanting to quit because of one difficult client is silly but maybe there are some other things going on that you have not mentioned in detail.

Deleted
    Some people are dicks ; You are going to have to adapt a plan around that.

Don't want your job? Have another one, get another one. Just own the responsibility of what you prioritize. That's all.

I had murder threats leveled on me during a job, cause of a incident with a case of Obsessed stalker psycho.

Shit went south, but in retrospect, i'd say i was lucky to get fired from that place.

Had i had the experience i will have from 2 years now, back then, i would not tolerate it for 2 seconds.

But back then? Well, i had no real choise.
    Last edited by mmoc411114546c; 2016-08-05 at 01:36 AM.

Okay so you have a problem with one client and want to quit? Everything else about your job you enjoy? You know that seems a little silly, correct?

Lay out what's happening with this particular client to your boss and depending on the nature of your relationship with your boss, you can either tell him that you can't deal with this guy anymore and try to pass the buck to the owner so he can deal with him (or another manager), or ask him what you think you should do to make this guy happy. Be specific and detailed with what you've done so far before asking him this. Tell him that you need him in your corner on this one because it's causing morale issues with the team etc.

That will probably be enough to get the ball rolling, if nothing changes and your boss continues to act defensive towards the difficult client then you can start hinting at quitting at a second follow-up meeting (if you're seriously that discontent and willing to deal with the consequences if your boss doesn't want to play ball).

Give your boss a chance to make it right first. Overall I think wanting to quit because of one difficult client is silly but maybe there are some other things going on that you have not mentioned in detail.
    there is a lot i have not gone into as i was really hoping for more of a passive thread of people sharing their experiences instead of responding directly, (Thank you everyone, really appreciate the feedback). the thing is, it's not about the client it is about the owner. i love every aspect of my job except the interactions with the owner. it's been an ongoing problem. I'm the most efficient manager of the department the company has ever had with zero negative feedback from customers until this client, and the owners choice to assume the fault lies with the operations manager and myself due to the owner not involving himself really has me questioning is it worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stress from the client will come and go. Stress from the owner/boss deserves a long hard look. Personally I found in smaller companies, bosses tend to be slower to change.
    Talk to a recruiter or headhunter, find out the market for you skills and experience. Quitting and getting a new job is often the best way to get a substantial raise. So its like win-win.

Go watch the movie office space, and take some pointers from that

there is a lot i have not gone into as i was really hoping for more of a passive thread of people sharing their experiences instead of responding directly, (Thank you everyone, really appreciate the feedback). the thing is, it's not about the client it is about the owner. i love every aspect of my job except the interactions with the owner. it's been an ongoing problem. I'm the most efficient manager of the department the company has ever had with zero negative feedback from customers until this client, and the owners choice to assume the fault lies with the operations manager and myself due to the owner not involving himself really has me questioning is it worth it.
    Yeah I had a boss like that...I was a financial manager for a law firm during law school, my boss was constantly moving money around to his various real estate LLCs. One of the law firm clients paid off an outstanding balance of $900, the bank lost the check. He was one of the senior partners and I was basically accused of stealing the check. I was pissed...I had worked for the company for a fairly significant period of time at that point.

Anyway, the bank branch manager called over the next day, explained the lost check and personally apologized, which was nice considering the $900 was a pretty paltry sum in the grand scheme of things. I ended up quitting a few months later, however.

In any case, I still think that you should try to figure out a better working relationship with your boss if you like other aspects of your job (although you made your dilemma sound like it had more to do with the client than the boss). The reality is that most of us will work with individuals that we will find challenging/difficult, learning to work with such individuals can vastly improve your quality of life in the long term. Oftentimes it is about not taking their behavior personally and/or learning to respond to their behavior differently, in order to garner a more positive working outcome. Of course this is not always possible but it is an avenue to consider when you otherwise enjoy your job. Considering it sounds like you have had some ongoing issues and small business owners can oftentimes be quite stubborn in regards to the way they manage their business (there's a reason why these types of individuals flock to entrepreneurship), leaving may indeed be the more appropriate route to take.

Considering the fact that it sounds like you're working a professional-type position I'd personally consider finding a new job first before quitting. Maybe take some vacation time after this project is over, if possible. Keep in mind that shopping around for a new job can be a significant and immediate relief from the psychological burden of a bad job, no rage quitting necessary. You'll feel like you're moving towards something new and have options for your future.

Yeah I had a boss like that...I was a financial manager for a law firm during law school, my boss was constantly moving money around to his various real estate LLCs. One of the law firm clients paid off an outstanding balance of $900, the bank lost the check. He was one of the senior partners and I was basically accused of stealing the check. I was pissed...I had worked for the company for a fairly significant period of time at that point.

Anyway, the bank branch manager called over the next day, explained the lost check and personally apologized, which was nice considering the $900 was a pretty paltry sum in the grand scheme of things. I ended up quitting a few months later, however.

In any case, I still think that you should try to figure out a better working relationship with your boss if you like other aspects of your job (although you made your dilemma sound like it had more to do with the client than the boss). The reality is that most of us will work with individuals that we will find challenging/difficult, learning to work with such individuals can vastly improve your quality of life in the long term. Oftentimes it is about not taking their behavior personally and/or learning to respond to their behavior differently, in order to garner a more positive working outcome. Of course this is not always possible but it is an avenue to consider when you otherwise enjoy your job. Considering it sounds like you have had some ongoing issues and small business owners can oftentimes be quite stubborn in regards to the way they manage their business (there's a reason why these types of individuals flock to entrepreneurship), leaving may indeed be the more appropriate route to take.

Considering the fact that it sounds like you're working a professional-type position I'd personally consider finding a new job first before quitting. Maybe take some vacation time after this project is over, if possible. Keep in mind that shopping around for a new job can be a significant and immediate relief from the psychological burden of a bad job, no rage quitting necessary. You'll feel like you're moving towards something new and have options for your future.
    Thank you, that actually helped a lot and falls in line with a lot of other posts. There's really no changing the owner, he's impossible, his own son-in-law at the company cannot deal with him. I think I'll take my day off tomorrow and go inquire about possible positions at a nearby motorsports company I've had my eye on for a while. who knows, it could be my future.

people dont quit their jobs, they quit their bosses.

my current job is pretty awesome, my current boss kinda sucks. good thing i only have to see him for maybe a total of 15 minutes every week or we would end up in a fist fight every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorehowl View Post
    people dont quit their jobs, they quit their bosses.

my current job is pretty awesome, my current boss kinda sucks. good thing i only have to see him for maybe a total of 15 minutes every week or we would end up in a fist fight every day.
    haha, i think that's the right way to look at it. We long for the days/weeks the owner is on vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by I Regret Nothing View Post
    When I just can't stand the manager anymore and plan on moving somewhere else.
    I work in the WINE industry in Australia.

My Manager has enuff Confidence in me , unless she starts seeing bad results.

I am Happy because I am "Super at Selling stuff"

The last time I quit a job was when I was offered a promotion with a very large corporation.

A team lead position opened up and I was offered the spot after the internal interview process. It amounted to a $0.06/hour raise. I politely put my two weeks notice in and left three days later.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    I work in the WINE industry in Australia.

My Manager has enuff Confidence in me , unless she starts seeing bad results.

I am Happy because I am "Super at Selling stuff"
    Australia makes wine? What brand?

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends, was the job good to me, were the bosses good people but I'm just moving on in life? Then usually once I know it's a done deal I will give as much advance notice as possible. However, if the employer was not good to me, then fuck 'em.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aboubacar View Post
    Australia makes wine? What brand?
    This is a rather well known brand: Yellowtail
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I deal with anything they throw at me because I have to. I have thrown a tantrum once that got me in a bit of trouble with HR, but my plant manager actually stuck up for me somewhat.

The only way I would throw in my two weeks is if I had another job lined up. I have to have a paycheck to live.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Depends, was the job good to me, were the bosses good people but I'm just moving on in life? Then usually once I know it's a done deal I will give as much advance notice as possible. However, if the employer was not good to me, then fuck 'em.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a rather well known brand: Yellowtail
    Oh yeah. That's in every store here woops