Thread: Do you fast?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    What's the point of fasting?
    Religion, weight loss, and prepping for some medical procedure. Only one of those reasons makes sense.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Why would i? Give me one good reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I am in my fourth day of fasting, tomorrow being my last day and yes I'm hungry af.

Have you fasted? What was your experience? Why did you do it?
    I have in the past with good effect, plan to do so again.

I do so on occasion.
    I can't explain the why or when. It just comes to me at times.

I just fasted 9 hours while sleeping.

I read an article on realclearscience about this guy who decided to try fasting for a week as an experiment:

https://aeon.co/essays/is-fasting-go...we-know-so-far

We decided on a seven-day fast — somewhere between Hendrick’s experience and Mosley’s recommendation. The plan was to go a full week without eating or drinking anything except water.

Our preparation was pretty minimal. I would keep a journal in which I would record my weight, blood pressure, activities and, several times a day, just note how I was feeling.

Our weeklong fast was a little unusual as we also engaged in strenuous exercise every day. Sometimes a little too strenuous: one day we did a 14km (8.6 mile) trek through Alpine snow at a place called the Rodenecker Alm near Italy’s border with Austria. This was almost four hours of climbing and descending after three days of total fasting, and it left us quite exhausted and sore. But the odd thing was that to both of us it actually felt easier in this fasting state than it would have under normal conditions. So one does indeed seem to have a lot of physical energy while fasting, as Mosley has argued.

First of all, every single one of the seven days felt exactly the same: mornings were completely fine and I felt pretty much as I normally do until about lunchtime. I tried to pack in any work, especially work that required mental concentration, into this period of each day. After midday, I became a little fidgety and found it hard to concentrate on anything. I had much more than usual amounts of physical energy and did all kinds of household chores happily, such as defrosting and cleaning the refrigerator one afternoon (anyone who knows me will testify that this is highly unusual behaviour). But my mind flitted from one thing to the next, and my reactions were slowed down very noticeably by evening. If my wife asked me a question, it took about five seconds for it to register and another five before I could formulate and deliver a reply. In fact, I became decidedly cognitively impaired: one day after taking a shower and shaving, I applied aftershave lotion to my face and noticed that it didn’t have the mild sting it usually does. That is when I realised I had not actually shaved. I just thought I had.

So the days were hazy at times, but very bearable. Not so the evenings. By far the worse time was between 6pm and 10pm in the evenings. It was in this window every day that my wife and I both felt a physical and mental unease resulting in great difficulty in just passing the time. We tried to watch TV or movies but it was hard, and the evening seemed strangely empty.

n fact, the biggest surprise was just how much more time we had on our hands. I was struck by how much of the day I normally spend attending to my digestive needs: thinking about what I would have for lunch or dinner; shopping for groceries (which we do almost daily); cooking — in my case, elaborate Pakistani meals most evenings; then actually eating, washing dishes, cleaning up, even moving one’s bowels. Eliminating the simple act of eating frees up much more time than you’d think.

I experienced a phenomenal increase in physical energy but at the expense of a lack of mental concentration.

So what about the medical benefits? In the end, both throughout and after the fast, my blood pressure remained at exactly the same, slightly elevated level it had been before I started. So much for controlling it by fasting, at least for me. I lost 11lbs (5kg) over the week and gained 7lbs (3kg) back within three days. The other significant thing I noticed, as many others have too, was the reduction of libido to absolutely nothing. I had no sexual thoughts all week,
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

only if I spend my money on Booze instead of food

Unintentionally, from time to time. Some days I'm just plain not hungry.

15+ Year Old Account
    No, I very much disagree with pointless self-torture.

Literally no reason to ever fast, and if anyone or anything urges you to do so, they're obviously malicious and you should not listen.
    And, just like how vegans don't affect meat production, the food you don't eat doesn't magically appear on the plate of someone who needs it more than you, it gets thrown in the trash because that's how first world countries work. Nobody wins if you deprive yourself of nourishment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    Blizzard didn't have any problem killing Kael'thas, Illidan, Kael'thas, Lady Vashj, or even Kael'thas.