BM as a control spec

Hi everyone

First off, I acknowledge that there are players who enjoy the new BM and those that don't. What I want to share is how the current BM spec can be turned into a more complex one with the existing toolkit and invite you to give it a go.

Spec is as follows
    http://www.wowdb.com/talent-calculator#GVZN
    http://www.wowdb.com/pvp-talent-calculator#VbN
    you can switch stuff around as you like but the ones that are critical are;
    Big Game Hunter
    One with the Pack
    Aspect of the Beast + Cunning Pet
    Initiation (PvP)

What this does is give you 100% chance to crit with your auto attacks on targets above 80% health. You'll be using targets at full or high health as a resource for wild call procs while dumping all your Dire Beast/Frenzy, Kill Command, Cobra Shots and AMoC/Barrage into your focus target.

You'll need to set up macros to use your abilities on your selected target, as well as your focus target.

What I've managed to pull off in BG's is set my kill target as the focus and send my pet after it, then select a high health target such as an Aff warlock, any tank class or high health/hard to kill target for my autoshots and concussion shots.

You'll be watching 2 targets at the same time but what you can essentially do is keep both of them semi perma/perma slowed on the move at the same time and, with binding or wyvern sting, further apply CC to them or a third target.

Pet wise you can go with either something that applies mortal wounds or hamstring. If you choose the latter, you can switch the last talent for Killer Cobra to alternate between KC and Cobra shots during BW to increase raw damage. Personally, I found it better to go with Aspect of the Beast for the mortal wounds debuff and less micro managing which frees me up to use Cobra shot to apply a Viper Sting to multiple targets (@mouseover etc).

It does respectable DBS but falls behind a MM hunter on the charts. However, the control factor and peels you bring is outstanding amongst the different ranged specs. It also raises the skill floor by adding the complexity and situational awareness of managing two targets and the respective macros at the same time.

Anyway, hope you find it as enjoyable as I have
    Last edited by Bladeweaver; 2016-08-05 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Corrected pet spec

Issues I see:

BGH+Initiation seems like a reasonable idea, but people spend lots of time in a "wounded" state in PvP, and neither talent helps kill low health targets. It's also not usually a struggle to get someone below 80% health, and the damage that matters is getting them from 50-0 while their healer is CCd. Neither of these talents helps with that. Using high health targets to get extra Wild Call procs is neat, but even if 1 in 5 autos is resetting Dire Beast, you're only really getting an extra proc every, what, 10 seconds on average?

I assume you meant a Cunning pet because a Tenacity pet is a terrible idea for obvious reasons. In this case, you're trading the burst potential of Stampede/KC for a 4 second slow, which is questionable at best.

Overall, it seems like you're providing less pressure than a dot spec and justifying it with a 4 second slow on a 6 second cooldown. Why not take an Aff lock and spam fear while doing more damage and having more tankiness? Or a Fire mage and have tons of mobilty + burst + cc? Literally the only CC BM has is a slow and Wyvern or Binding.

I think that Viper Sting + Mortal Strike + all of your cooldowns makes you more effective at blowing up a healer than pretending you can put out decent multi-target pressure with mediocre peel.
    Last edited by Kwaai; 2016-08-05 at 09:14 PM.

Thanks for pointing out the pet spec mistake

Under 30% is where the KC becomes spammable because of Go for the Throat.

On the resource bit, I found it was pretty easy finding targets above 80% with the name plates turned on.

When I tested with dire beasts, i noticed getting 3 dire beasts up pretty often. The resets were very significant but you have to make sure to cycle resource targets

Auto shots on resource targets don't bring targets under 80% so easily and I found there was always a target that team mates weren't focusing on.

I'm not saying it's the best spec but it does bring control and pressure while being highly mobile.

Fear is powerful but it has a cast time and can be interrupted. Players also tend to use trinkets for fears and stuns but not slows.
    Last edited by Bladeweaver; 2016-08-05 at 09:41 PM.