Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    After getting out of jail people should have every opportunity to re-integrate into society. This would be part of it, though not top priority compared to other things like being able to get a job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'm not clear on what your quibble is. My point is that people don't go to jail for 5 years for "smoking a joint" as another poster claimed. Do you disagree with this point?
    In some states they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    Wait... wtf, people with a felon in US can't vote? How the hell does that make sense... they are still citizens of the country, why the hell do they lose their right to participate in democracy? In my opinion you should never lose your right to vote.
    Americans don't have an absolute right to vote because nothing in the Constitution explicitly guarantees a right to vote.

Rather its an inherent "right", to loosely use the word, with Constitutionally lawful caveats.

They have a right not to be denied voting privileges because of specific reasons, ie race, sex, age (if over 18), etc.

By this same language voting privileges can be denied based on other specific reasons, ie felon status, citizenship, age (if under 18), etc.

People have a slightly ignorant understanding of what rights actually are, the word get tossed around way too often.

It will take an Amendment to the Constitution to lawfully guarantee "every has a right to vote" stipulation free and there have been a few unsuccessful pushes to make such an Amendment.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    In some states they do.
    Can you provide an example?

I don't know this law well so i'm going to guess but something tells me it would be the states in the deep south that don't allow an ex felon to vote?

You can own Property but some houses might be restricted like near schools

Many minor crimes were pushed up into felonies for nothing more than to prevent the black man from voting, sides for and against acknowledge this.

Until our justice system suffers a serious overhaul, nothing should prevent a voters right to vote. Let's be honest, they are brain-washed into two major parties and really lack impact with any form of change. Why take away something our current system has modified into more of a tradition than a active movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Americans don't have an absolute right to vote because nothing in the Constitution explicitly guarantees a right to vote.

Rather its an inherent "right", to loosely use the word, with Constitutionally lawful caveats.

They have a right not to be denied voting privileges because of specific reasons, ie race, sex, age (if over 18), etc.

By this same language voting privileges can be denied based on other specific reasons, ie felon status, citizenship, age (if under 18), etc.

People have a slightly ignorant understanding of what rights actually are, the word get tossed around way too often.

It will take an Amendment to the Constitution to lawfully guarantee "every has a right to vote" stipulation free and there have been a few unsuccessful pushes to make such an Amendment.
    Conservatives arguing against freedom... I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    Ok just lock everyone up and throw away the key. Life sentences for everything. You realize that would be the answer to every one of your concerns.I live in the US, not a dictatorship like North Korea
    Oh stop acting like I'm saying a guy who walks on the grass should get the death penalty.

Going to extremes is a lazy way to debate.
    MAGA

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Can you provide an example?
    http://knowmore.washingtonpost.com/2...-in-50-states/

It depends, I feel if someone did something particularly egregious, like rape or murder, absolutely not.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Conservatives arguing against freedom... I love it.
    1. Not a Conservative.

2. We have a great document that explains what our freedoms are, when/how we're allowed to lawfully limit or revoke them, and how to go about changing the language when it needs changing.
    MAGA

I am of the opinion that if you do your time once you are done you are done. You are free once again just as anyone else is.

If people feel that you need to be punished more so like being on a sex offender's list or cannot get a security clearance because of a past history of stealing that IMO is unfair.

However, the problem is not person it is the criminal justice system. I believe if you feel the need to do these extra things to make sure people stay safe then something is failing with the process. If people need to be put on permanent probation then at least say so.

1. Not a Conservative.

2. We have a great document that explains what our freedoms are, when/how we're allowed to lawfully limit or revoke them, and how to go about changing the language when it needs changing.
    Like I said, you are arguing against freedom. You sure do seem to be a typical American conservative.

The United States Constitution is also a means by which the government can take away your freedoms. Multiple parts of it lay the groundwork for oppression and the restriction of freedom. I'll take freedom over paper any day of the week.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they've served their time, yes.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

When should a felon have their right to bear arms reinstated? They should get their right to vote back at the same time they get their other rights returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Like I said, you are arguing against freedom. You sure do seem to be a typical American conservative.

The United States Constitution is also a means by which the government can take away your freedoms. Multiple parts of it lay the groundwork for oppression and the restriction of freedom. I'll take freedom over paper any day of the week.
    Freedom goes hand in hand with consequence.

You have a freedom to go rob a store, assault a clerk, then try to kill a cop but you'll suffer consequences for that and The Constitution is what gives our nation the lawful means to enact those consequences.
    MAGA

Freedom goes hand in hand with consequence.

You have a freedom to go rob a store, assault a clerk, then try to kill a cop but you'll suffer consequences for that and The Constitution is what gives our nation the lawful means to enact those consequences.
    And taking away a vote is a petty, and unnecessary restriction of that freedom.

7+ Year Old Account
    Oh stop acting like I'm saying a guy who walks on the grass should get the death penalty.

Going to extremes is a lazy way to debate.
    Says the one who says nbody can be rehabilitated lol.

Voting it s RIGHT and by definition Can't be revoked. its not a privilege like a drivers licence. I think they should be allowed to vote even when in prison. a few exceptions do apply like abusing a right for criminal activites.

this is a really bad example. in this case you have abused a right for criminal activities, this is a reason to lose a right, but shy of comiting voting fraud there is no reason to revoke that right.
    Last edited by krunksmash; 2016-08-05 at 10:07 PM.