Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Have you ever known anybody who shatters stereotypes?

For example a cheerleader who likes fantasy novels or a football player who excels in science. Know any people who shatter stereotypes?

Ever know anybody in real life that you didn't see from a TV show or movie?
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Myself I guess. I like sports, and being outdoors and stuff, but I also like video games, and sci-fi movies. The only things I don't care for are anime, and adult cartoon shows like Archer, and stuff like that.
    "I have friends, many friends. I have friends in China, India, Russia." "I will make deals, lots of deals. I'm good at making deals. Deals, deals, deals."

10+ Year Old Account
    What is your obsession with cheerleaders?
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Heck if I know. Quick, someone come up with some stereotypes about me, we'll see how well I measure up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

football/rugby player.. fit, plays wow, overwatch, ps4. owns investment property and owns my own business..
    Achievement Granted : Stereotype Averted.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Heck if I know. Quick, someone come up with some stereotypes about me, we'll see how well I measure up.
    something about MLP?

I know people who shatter ALL stereotypes.

I've met my share of psychologically fragile weightlifters. It really shatters the stereotype that working out in and of itself is going to make someone "tough".

7+ Year Old Account
    Well...as a 24yr old Hispanic man who plays WoW, Dota2 and SWTOR while also maintaining a somewhat athletic build I can somewhat say that I might break a stereotype or 2

I know a few Mexican people who speak English.

...oh. /bad_joke

Sure, the captain of the hockey team at my college was also a Rhodes Scholar and hung out with nerds and killed plenty of time playing GTA.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Nothing like getting all liquored up and posting on the internets.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I'm a quiet nerdy kid that's into weight training and does a lot of drugs. So, I guess I break some stereotypes?
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

I know a few black people who listen to Heavy/Death metal
    as for me, I am half Lebanese, and for body hair, quite hairless, like no arm hair, very little arm pit hair, no leg or chest hair, can't grow a beard or mustache to save my life. Full head of hair though at 33 years old.
    and my favorite food is Mongolian BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by jamisawesome View Post
    I've met my share of psychologically fragile weightlifters. It really shatters the stereotype that working out in and of itself is going to make someone "tough".
    That actually fulfills the stereotype of them being insecure thus attempting to compensate through body building.

Stereotypes are usually a shallow perspective of a person, dig deeper and you'll usually find something that breaks from your expectations of them.

i knew this one guy that said he tells the truth, and it was on the internet!

i think he might have been lying though.

Quote Originally Posted by Woadnson View Post
    That actually fulfills the stereotype of them being insecure thus attempting to compensate through body building.

Stereotypes are usually a shallow perspective of a person, dig deeper and you'll usually find something that breaks from your expectations of them.
    I lost count of guys on active duty that you could tell them they looked a bit heavy, and that afternoon they are in the gym pushing harder than normal like they had some eating disorder

Me! I'm a Norwegian woman who breaks stereotypes by

- not enjoying skiing/winter/cold
    - wishing I worked in USA with their non-existant maternity leave so I could be at work
    - not breastfeeding (the Mom mafia would walk behind me while chanting "Shame" if they knew, don't tell them please)
    - being married to someone from Balkan

Eh, all I could think of
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

I know an Indian bloke who doesn't reek of curry.

Does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'm a Russian who does not drink alcohol. :O
    Da fuq? You're not doing your patriotic duty, man!

Moving on... my GF is Korean and she hates kimchi.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.