Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    As the person you quoted mentioned, STRIX is an overkill. Avoid single fan versions and stick with manufacturers like EVGA, Palit, Gainward, Zotac, Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS (this is probably sorted right by the price increase). If you're looking to overclock your card make sure it has additional power over the stock design (originally has 1x8pin, so you're looking for 1x8pin+1x6pin or 2x8pin depending on how far you want to go).
    I've changed my mind after talking to two friends. They recommend me getting a FreeSync monitor and a RX 480. According to them, it's better if I go for 480 since it performs better in Dx12 and vulkan. Also that it's future-proof because of Crossfire/Sli.
    They also say that freesync will avoid screen tearing. Benchmarks show that rx 480 performs good in WoW aswell (~114 FPS).

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Adoxum View Post
    I've changed my mind after talking to two friends. They recommend me getting a FreeSync monitor and a RX 480. According to them, it's better if I go for 480 since it performs better in Dx12 and vulkan. Also that it's future-proof because of Crossfire/Sli.
    They also say that freesync will avoid screen tearing. Benchmarks show that rx 480 performs good in WoW aswell (~114 FPS).

Thoughts?
    If WoW is your main game (which is a reasonable assumption given this website) not buying a 1060 would be silly.

Thoughts?
    There is nothing future proof about Crossfire/SLI, it simply doesnt work way too often. RX 480 is faster in DX12 and Vulkan but not many games support it now, and that number wont increase dramatically anytime soon (too many people still have older videocards), so it depends on the games you play. Benchmarks show that GTX 1060 is 20-25% faster in WoW.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    If WoW is your main game (which is a reasonable assumption given this website) not buying a 1060 would be silly.
    Isn't the difference just a small amount of FPS?
    I was planning on getting this https://www.inet.se/kundvagn/visa/9602636/

10+ Year Old Account
    The difference is negligible. Both cards are way above what you need to play WoW. Whenever you leave the outdoors comfort zone, heroic/mythic raid for example, the bottleneck will shift to your CPU and then they'll perform pretty much the same.

- - - Updated - - -

There is nothing future proof about Crossfire/SLI, it simply doesnt work way too often. RX 480 is faster in DX12 and Vulkan but not many games support it now, and that number wont increase dramatically anytime soon (too many people still have older videocards), so it depends on the games you play. Benchmarks show that GTX 1060 is 20-25% faster in WoW.
    RX480 "future-proofing" doesn't even come from CFX. It comes from the fact that it'll age better and the fact that is has better DX12/Vulkan performance.

Sure, if dx12 multiadapter really becomes a thing, having 2 RX480s in the future will also be an extremely cheap and viable upgrade.

Deleted
    Well if freesync/adaptive sync is something to consider, well take a look at this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SYeb2zQ6fI

Samsung are bring quite a slew of new monitors though no prices revealed, just take a count of the amount of freesync compatible monitors compared to gsync announced here, sheer availability puts AMD into contention, so much so that my next uber end GPU will be AMD because I have a greater choice on monitors as I want an ultrawide 3440x1440 + VA+HDR+High frame rate + adaptive sync, that first monitor she went through actually has all of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    RX480 "future-proofing" doesn't even come from CFX. It comes from the fact that it'll age better and the fact that is has better DX12/Vulkan performance.

Sure, if dx12 multiadapter really becomes a thing, having 2 RX480s in the future will also be an extremely cheap and viable upgrade.
    Judging by what's on the table right now - RX 480 wont physically last the amount of time their DX12 advantage becomes meaningful.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

RX 480x2 less than a single 1070 and similar performance in games that support crossfire.

Deleted
    Judging by what's on the table right now - RX 480 wont physically last the amount of time their DX12 advantage becomes meaningful.
    This never makes any sense, the RX480 is aimed at the budget end of things where people want a decent card at a decent price and aim to keep the cards for years, this equates to around 3 years on average. It is a great choice for the time frame the budget gamer will want it for and comes with a lot of updated features.

Also theres plenty of DX 12 titles coming out still, nearly every single AAA game has a DX12 option for this year thats coming out on PC, as long as there are GPUs that cost more then $200, those will always be in the minority of Pc owners to get and those people tend to upgrade more frequently then most PC users, the RX 480 DX12 performance has a lot going for it and for the buyers in its budget and demographic, many years of life they can get out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    This never makes any sense, the RX480 is aimed at the budget end of things where people want a decent card at a decent price and aim to keep the cards for years, this equates to around 3 years on average. It is a great choice for the time frame the budget gamer will want it for and comes with a lot of updated features.

Also theres plenty of DX 12 titles coming out still, nearly every single AAA game has a DX12 option for this year thats coming out on PC, as long as there are GPUs that cost more then $200, those will always be in the minority of Pc owners to get and those people tend to upgrade more frequently then most PC users, the RX 480 DX12 performance has a lot going for it and for the buyers in its budget and demographic, many years of life they can get out of it.
    RX 480 is too tighly pushed up on the hardware side, it wont last for years. I'm not even talking about reference cards here, seen couple of those coming in already (looks to be manufacturing defects though, one had a shifted thermal patch on the GPU and the other with the shattered fan blade).

Deleted
    Drop the PSU down to a 550 watt model, 750 is overkill.

You could also drop the CPU down to a 6600k and that might free up enough money to go for a 1070. Unless all you play is wow, stick with the 480.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Drop the PSU down to a 550 watt model, 750 is overkill.

You could also drop the CPU down to a 6600k and that might free up enough money to go for a 1070. Unless all you play is wow, stick with the 480.
    That's a funny comment, tbh. Most people tell me to get 1060 if I only play WoW. :P

I was thinking that crossfire in the future would require 750w, or am I wrong? I am planning on buying the PC next month so that might not be what I buy. Even though 1070 sounds awesome, isn't it better with a FreeSync monitor with 480? The Gsync monitors are too expensive, sadly.

Deleted
    That's a funny comment, tbh. Most people tell me to get 1060 if I only play WoW. :P

I was thinking that crossfire in the future would require 750w, or am I wrong? I am planning on buying the PC next month so that might not be what I buy. Even though 1070 sounds awesome, isn't it better with a FreeSync monitor with 480? The Gsync monitors are too expensive, sadly.
    Well, I went with the assumption you are sticking with the free synch monitor And I am under the impression that during raiding both cards (1060 and 480) will perform pretty much equal to each other.

As for crossfire, I think WoW still does not support it making it useless. Also, crossfire 480 is actually worse than a single 1070. Not to mention possible stuttering, games not supporting crossfire etc. So I would not go for a crossfire set up.

I haven't gamed on anything above 60 Hz, so I cannot comment on that. But the 1070 blows the 480 completely out of the water. You can still get the free synch screen if you get the 1070, it will just not support free synch. But should still allow to run games at 144 Hz (or w/e Hz the screen has).

A note to make about the 1070 and DX12. The 1070 could possibly not have proper DX12 support, we do not know yet. So take this in account. It might be 'useless' in 2 years. Or when Nvidia decides to drop support for the card, the moment the next series gets out with better DX12 support.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Well, I went with the assumption you are sticking with the free synch monitor And I am under the impression that during raiding both cards (1060 and 480) will perform pretty much equal to each other.

As for crossfire, I think WoW still does not support it making it useless. Also, crossfire 480 is actually worse than a single 1070. Not to mention possible stuttering, games not supporting crossfire etc. So I would not go for a crossfire set up.

I haven't gamed on anything above 60 Hz, so I cannot comment on that. But the 1070 blows the 480 completely out of the water. You can still get the free synch screen if you get the 1070, it will just not support free synch. But should still allow to run games at 144 Hz (or w/e Hz the screen has).

A note to make about the 1070 and DX12. The 1070 could possibly not have proper DX12 support, we do not know yet. So take this in account. It might be 'useless' in 2 years. Or when Nvidia decides to drop support for the card, the moment the next series gets out with better DX12 support.
    Hm, I'll most likely buy a better GPU in the future, since I don't believe that crossfire is better than a single powerful GPU. I'll see if I can go for the 1070 and I hope that I won't need an upgrade for a very long time.

Depends if you want to SLI/Crossfire, the 1060 cannot SLI. At least current models don't.

Deleted
    Do you guys think that it's worth it to go for a Gsync monitor with an overclocked MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB?

Do you guys think that it's worth it to go for a Gsync monitor with an overclocked MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB?
    Depends on what kind of monitor is in question.

Deleted
    Depends on what kind of monitor is in question.
    http://gaming.benq.com/gaming-monitor/xl2420g
    A 24'' and 144hz Gsync monitor.

http://gaming.benq.com/gaming-monitor/xl2420g
    A 24'' and 144hz Gsync monitor.
    No. You overpaying almost $200 just for G-Sync. G-Sync is only honestly worth on 1440p/4K IPS monitors where the G-Sync mark up wont influence the price so much.

Deleted
    No. You overpaying almost $200 just for G-Sync. G-Sync is only honestly worth on 1440p/4K IPS monitors where the G-Sync mark up wont influence the price so much.
    So what should I go for? 1060 with 144hz normal monitor or 480 with freesync monitor? I'm honestly confused and idk what to go for. I just want to max WoW and have great FPS. Could you by any chance tell me what build to go for?

My budget is 15 500 SEK and I am in need of a monitor and PC components. I am buying everything from www.inet.se

I'd appreciate any help, first time buying a PC.
    Last edited by mmoccea68bd2bd; 2016-08-08 at 01:12 PM.