Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adoxum View Post
    So what should I go for? 1060 with 144hz normal monitor or 480 with freesync monitor? I'm honestly confused and idk what to go for. I just want to max WoW and havet great FPS. Gould you by any chance tell me what build to go for?
    My budget is 15 500 SEK and I am in need of a monitor and PC components. I am buying everything from www.inet.se

I'd appreciate any help, first time buying a PC.
    My suggestion is to either get a regular monitor or buy a freesync. Reason because either way Nvidia will support freesync, cause it's going to be part of the display port standard. As for the 480 vs 1060, that will depend on price. The 1060 is superior in performance, especially for WoW since it's a GameWorks game. BUT, when it comes to raiding it won't make a difference cause the CPU is always the limiting factor in WoW. Buy what's cheaper, unless the 1060 is only a little bit more in price.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    My suggestion is to either get a regular monitor or buy a freesync. Reason because either way Nvidia will support freesync, cause it's going to be part of the display port standard. As for the 480 vs 1060, that will depend on price. The 1060 is superior in performance, especially for WoW since it's a GameWorks game. BUT, when it comes to raiding it won't make a difference cause the CPU is always the limiting factor in WoW. Buy what's cheaper, unless the 1060 is only a little bit more in price.
    The 1060 and 480 both has a similar price,so I guess I am going for 1060 and a freesync monitor. I hope that Nvidia will support it in the near future. Will I be able to max other games such as LoL, Heroes of the Storm, Overwatch and similar games?

10+ Year Old Account
    The 1060 and 480 both has a similar price,so I guess I am going for 1060 and a freesync monitor. I hope that Nvidia will support it in the near future. Will I be able to max other games such as LoL, Heroes of the Storm, Overwatch and similar games?
    From the wiki.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_FreeSync

As of 2015, VESA has adopted FreeSync as an optional component of the DisplayPort 1.2a specification.[3] FreeSync has a dynamic refresh rate range of 9–240 Hz.[2] As of August 2015, Intel also plans to support VESA's adaptive-sync with the next generation of GPU.

The reality is that FreeSync is VESA Adaptive Sync, but rebranded and tweaked by AMD. I don't know if all FreeSync monitors support Adaptive Sync, and if Nvidia cards support Adaptive Sync. As of DP 1.4, FreeSync is not mandatory. Nvidia could support FreeSync with a driver update, but Nvidia will insist to use their Gsync until there's enough outcry by Nvidia card owners. Lots of Nvidia card owners would love to get FreeSync support cause the monitors are a lot cheaper than Gsync. If people put enough pressure on Nvidia they will eventually support it but that's a gamble.

Getting a 480 would ensure that you get the FreeSync goodness now but according to benchmarks the 480 is slower in WoW than the 1060. But what's more likely to happen? Nvidia supporting FreeSync or AMD tweaking their drivers for Warcraft? Better yet, Blizzard adding support for Vulkan to their games? Choose your gamble.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...X_1060/23.html

Freesync is an AMD counterpart to G-Sync, Nvidia wont support it. I dont really understand that fascination with G-Sync, it's only apparent on low FPS and low refresh rate monitors.

- - - Updated - - -

But what's more likely to happen? Nvidia supporting FreeSync or AMD tweaking their drivers for Warcraft? Better yet, Blizzard adding support for Vulkan to their games? Choose your gamble.
    Neither actually. WoW wasnt optimized for NVIDIA, WoW engine was developed using the NVIDIA API from the beginning. So unless NVIDIA want AMD to optimize their drivers for WoW that wont happen.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Deleted
    Okay. My (hopefully) final decision is to go for a 144hz monitor with no G or FreeSync and a 1060. I only wanted Gsync or FreeSync because I was worried about getting screen tearing. But I most likely won't get more than around 144-147 FPS in WoW with 1060. Friend said " you get screen tearing when the monitor refreshes at 144Hz but the graphics card pushes frames faster than 144 fps,so you don't need G-Sync or FreeSync since you mist likely won't get that high in FPS with 1060.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just turn on v-sync

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay. My (hopefully) final decision is to go for a 144hz monitor with no G or FreeSync and a 1060. I only wanted Gsync or FreeSync because I was worried about getting screen tearing. But I most likely won't get more than around 144-147 FPS in WoW with 1060. Friend said " you get screen tearing when the monitor refreshes at 144Hz but the graphics card pushes frames faster than 144 fps,so you don't need G-Sync or FreeSync since you mist likely won't get that high in FPS with 1060.
    Sounds good. G-Sync and FreeSync are kinda in a bad spot right now and will take some time before a standard is finally set. Until then, a regular monitor will do just fine.

Deleted
    Sounds good. G-Sync and FreeSync are kinda in a bad spot right now and will take some time before a standard is finally set. Until then, a regular monitor will do just fine.
    However, my friends keep telling me to go for FreeSync and 480. Because according to them it's worth the money.

I'm going to go with 480 and a freesync. I don't need 100% max settings on 1080p in games. I'd rather drop the quality a bit for more frames. Having a freesync monitor to smooth out the game is worth it imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    SLI/Crossfire is a bad idea in general, support for it is in decline (wasnt that good before). Generally better to go with a single powerful card.
    No, I'm sorry but that is wrong. Please don't speak on subjects you are ill-informed on.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9740/d...n-mgpu-preview

This is a tech from MS for DX12, which allows superior control over Multiple GPU's.

The leading engine producer (Epic Games Unreal Engine) is going to be using EMA.

http://wccftech.com/directx-12-multi...ormance-gains/

So yeah, before you speak on subjects, please research.

10+ Year Old Account
    However, my friends keep telling me to go for FreeSync and 480. Because according to them it's worth the money.
    For WoW, the 1060 would be better. But like I said in raids you wouldn't gain any fps because at that point you're CPU limited not GPU. So nothing wrong with a 480 either. Your friends are right, but Vsync with a 1060 would be fine as well.

There's really no wrong choice here cause RX 480 vs 1060 is hard.
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2016-08-09 at 04:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tehdef View Post
    No, I'm sorry but that is wrong. Please don't speak on subjects you are ill-informed on.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9740/d...n-mgpu-preview

This is a tech from MS for DX12, which allows superior control over Multiple GPU's.

The leading engine producer (Epic Games Unreal Engine) is going to be using EMA.

http://wccftech.com/directx-12-multi...ormance-gains/

So yeah, before you speak on subjects, please research.
    So what does it prove? Does it give more options for the developers? Absolutely. Does this mean this technology will be applied in a lot of games? Not likely, because it requires developers to specifically build the products with the new API in mind. General consumer needs CS/SLI to work universally, across all titles, remove all driver issues, which this tech unfortunately doesnt help at all.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Deleted
    For WoW, the 1060 would be better. But like I said in raids you wouldn't gain any fps because at that point you're CPU limited not GPU. So nothing wrong with a 480 either. Your friends are right, but Vsync with a 1060 would be fine as well.

There's really no wrong choice here cause RX 480 vs 1060 is hard.
    Agreed. But I won't get 480 if it can't handle -10- graphic settings, do you think it can max WoW?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Both 480 and 1060 can handle -10- graphics, but that depends on other PC components you have. My old HD 7950 can handle -10- graphics with around 70 fps in shadowmoon valley if nothing intensive is happening. In crowded areas or during some action, as had been already said, your CPU would limit your performance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agreed. But I won't get 480 if it can't handle -10- graphic settings, do you think it can max WoW?
    The 480 will get well over 60 fps in the game at graphic setting 10, so this isn't an issue. If you looked at the graphs I posted before, the 480 will get 80 fps max, while the 1060 will get 100. In a raiding environment both would perform equally.

Deleted
    The 480 will get well over 60 fps in the game at graphic setting 10, so this isn't an issue. If you looked at the graphs I posted before, the 480 will get 80 fps max, while the 1060 will get 100. In a raiding environment both would perform equally.
    I've changed my mind again. I feel like deciding when it comes to 480 or 1060 is too complicated. I am getting a 144hz 24" monitor with 1920x1080p resolution and Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 Windforce 2x 8GB OC. Other components I am getting is Corsair 16 (2x8) GB RAM 2400Mhz DDR4, I5-6600k CPU, Fractal Design Integra M 650W, ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING and a be quiet! Pure Rock CPU Cooler. Thoughts?
    Last edited by mmoccea68bd2bd; 2016-08-09 at 01:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Neither the 1060 or the 480 would reach 144 fps for that 144hz monitor. Even the GTX 1070 wouldn't be able to do it. The WoW game engine just isn't able to scale that well. Especially in raids.

Deleted
    Neither the 1060 or the 480 would reach 144 fps for that 144hz monitor. Even the GTX 1070 wouldn't be able to do it. The WoW game engine just isn't able to scale that well. Especially in raids.
    So what should I get?

Deleted
    Imo, a 144 Hz screen is wasted on WoW. I would just get a nice 1080p IPS 60 Hz monitor.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Imo, a 144 Hz screen is wasted on WoW. I would just get a nice 1080p IPS 60 Hz monitor.
    It's not like I will only play WoW..

- - - Updated - - -

Also, benchmarks show that 1070 gets max 184 FPS. I can max the FPS to 140-144 so I don't get more than 144fps.