Thread: Ps4 question.

Ps4 question.

So just got a PS4 recently just wondering is it normal for it to get hot? I mean obviously it is but the best way I could describe how warm it is that if it was Winter and you put your cold hand on it then it would be warm in a minute or so. Ventilation isn't an issue.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    So just got a PS4 recently just wondering is it normal for it to get hot? I mean obviously it is but the best way I could describe how warm it is that if it was Winter and you put your cold hand on it then it would be warm in a minute or so. Ventilation isn't an issue.
    Due to the power supply being inside the console itself unlike Xbox and Wii u the unit can get very warm but it is generally safe just keep it in an open air area and you should be fine.
    Last edited by Gutler; 2016-08-07 at 04:20 PM.

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Quote Originally Posted by Gutler View Post
    Due to the power supply being inside the console itself unlike Xbox and Wii u the unit cant get very warm but it is generally safe just keep it in an open air area and you should be fine.
    Yeah I have a glass cabinet but there's no real back or side bits on it. The ps4 sits on the bottom one. There's a middle plank bit with a hole for wires and what not but that is about it. Cheers.

If the PS4 gets too hot, you will know it. It will shut down and the light bar will go red. They do tend to be warm to touch, with the small form factor and internal PSU.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a question of my own, I've had my PS4 for about a year and a half and it seem rather noisy now, would it be a good idea to (carefully, and with some form of visual guide) open it up and see if it needs a clean out with a can of decompressed air?
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

You can also buy extra fans\cooling pad\doking station with fans for the PS4.

Quote Originally Posted by 3DTyrant View Post
    I have a question of my own, I've had my PS4 for about a year and a half and it seem rather noisy now, would it be a good idea to (carefully, and with some form of visual guide) open it up and see if it needs a clean out with a can of decompressed air?
    if you open it up, i dont mean the hdd cover but the actual ps4 where you unscrew everything, itll void the warranty. if youre warranty is expired then go for it. alot of times changing the thermal paste does the trick.
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz | Asetek 550LC 120MM Watercooler | MSI Z97 PC MATE | XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB | ADATA 16GB DDR3-2133MHz XPG V3 |
    1TB WD Caviar Blue | 128GB Sandisk Z400S SSD | NZXT Phantom 410 | EVGA 750W SuperNova G1 80+ GOLD | External 2TB WD Elements

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaamila View Post
    if you open it up, i dont mean the hdd cover but the actual ps4 where you unscrew everything, itll void the warranty. if youre warranty is expired then go for it. alot of times changing the thermal paste does the trick.
    I think I only had a years warranty on it.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Make sure you dont make the mistake about 80% of next gen from 360 era on have made and can of air it out once in a while. Modern consoles collect dust and need to be air dusted. Iv seen to many 360s or ps3s brick due to heat from dust clogging.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I would find somewhere else to keep it. Restricting its airflow to the exhaust of the system is bad news.
    There isn't actually a side or back panel. Also I don't feed the wires through the planks hole.

Quote Originally Posted by 3DTyrant View Post
    I think I only had a years warranty on it.
    The extended warranty is worth it if you can still buy it. No need to open it up for cleaning though. Just shoot some compressed air in and keep your house clean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.