Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    So I'm working with an office where we have to dispatch handymen to fix stuff for insured persons and we have this new guy who I have to train.

We are just talking about this and that and he asked if he could bring me something from the baker shop while he was getting himself something, and I was saying, sorry I can only eat gluten free stuff.

So he answers "I know gluten-free. I work as a volunteer in a soup kitchen for the homeless and one of my co-volunteers is taking the donated gluten-free bread home for herself every week, I take some bread home from there my self every week."

Personally I am disgusted. I find stealing from the needy despicable, more so as I am a celiac and I know how abhorrently expensive gluten free bread is, I am if a person who would be able to bake their own bread at home would steal it from somebody who isn't able to do this.

Here's the question: Is this a private matter? Should my superior know about this? The guy is there as a temp but if he gets a job he is required to hand in criminal record certificate. Additional information: he's in his late 40's.
    Are they stealing or taking the extra that would be thrown away?

Personally I am disgusted. I find stealing from the needy despicable, more so as I am a celiac and I know how abhorrently expensive gluten free bread is, I am if a person who would be able to bake their own bread at home would steal it from somebody who isn't able to do this.
    The problem is that a lot of people who "volunteer" for anything still feel entitled to some kind of payment at the end of the day. There might be corruption going on in that Soup Kitchen. We don't know all the facts. But, as long as those homeless are walking out with a full belly, there is very little harm being done.

In the end I wouldn't make a fuss about it, mostly because that might end up creating some unwanted tensions at work.

Sounds an awful lot like making a mountain out of a molehill to me.
    Like others have said, 99.9% sure this is a non issue, and you probably need to get off your high horse a bit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jamisawesome View Post
    The problem is that a lot of people who "volunteer" for anything still feel entitled to some kind of payment at the end of the day. There might be corruption going on in that Soup Kitchen. We don't know all the facts. But, as long as those homeless are walking out with a full belly, there is very little harm being done.

In the end I wouldn't make a fuss about it, mostly because that might end up creating some unwanted tensions at work.
    That sounds hilarious. The corruption of the Soup Kitchen.. The sweet, precious gluten free bread peddling business

I'm sorry, i know i am horrible, i just figure it sounds funny

Most perishable food stuffs are typically tossed in the garbage after a short while.
    If someone takes some of it home instead of tossing it then I don't see any harm.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    Snitches get stitches as they say.

This is only true for wannabe thugs.

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    That sounds hilarious. The corruption of the Soup Kitchen.. The sweet, precious gluten free bread peddling business

I'm sorry, i know i am horrible, i just figure it sounds funny
    It's a conspiracy to launder gluten free bread

OT: it's not uncommon for certain places to let the staff take products with them, if they are thrown in the trash at the end of the day if they don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    It's a conspiracy to launder gluten free bread
    hahaha, Soon enough, the mob will want in. And the homeless will be in the pocket of the mafia.

"That's some.. nice change you got there... Would be a shame if... Someting happened to it"

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJoe View Post
    This is only true for wannabe thugs.
    The real thugs make you get coffins.

Deleted
    Did you just make a topic to state that you are a person who does not eat gluten ? It really looks like that. I even had to register an account here to say that it's one of the most pointless posts i have ever read in here.

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    hahaha, Soon enough, the mob will want in. And the homeless will be in the pocket of the mafia.

"That's some.. nice change you got there... Would be a shame if... Someting happened to it"
    "pay me for some weekly protection, or I can't guarantee the safety of your breads!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    "pay me for some weekly protection, or I can't guarantee the safety of your breads!"
    Soon enough, the soup kitchen will have to close up as the Corrupted Mob of Homeless people come along ; They shut their doors, their windows ; The Homeless hounding them at the doors..

After all, the gluten bread, it belongs to the Homeless Family now

Deleted
    So I'm working with an office where we have to dispatch handymen to fix stuff for insured persons and we have this new guy who I have to train.

We are just talking about this and that and he asked if he could bring me something from the baker shop while he was getting himself something, and I was saying, sorry I can only eat gluten free stuff.

So he answers "I know gluten-free. I work as a volunteer in a soup kitchen for the homeless and one of my co-volunteers is taking the donated gluten-free bread home for herself every week, I take some bread home from there my self every week."

Here's the question: Is this a private matter? Should my superior know about this? The guy is there as a temp but if he gets a job he is required to hand in criminal record certificate. Additional information: he's in his late 40's.
    what, don't america get special discount for people with gluten allergies !? atleast here in scandinavia we do because the goverment realises how much more expensive the stuff is, but then again only about few hundred people actually have the stuff diagnosed from a doctor, a few thousand are ofcourse selfdiagnosed.

Quote Originally Posted by Exsomnis View Post
    Did you just make a topic to state that you are a person who does not eat gluten ? It really looks like that. I even had to register an account here to say that it's one of the most pointless posts i have ever read in here.
    No I didn't, what makes you think that? Maybe you should read the post?

I was asking for advice and for the opinions of the people on this forum....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by neohobeo View Post
    what, don't america get special discount for people with gluten allergies !? atleast here in scandinavia we do because the goverment realises how much more expensive the stuff is, but then again only about few hundred people actually have the stuff diagnosed from a doctor, a few thousand are ofcourse selfdiagnosed.
    I'm not from America, what makes you think that?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MacMathan View Post
    Sounds an awful lot like making a mountain out of a molehill to me.
    Like others have said, 99.9% sure this is a non issue, and you probably need to get off your high horse a bit.
    Thanks for your opinion, that's why I was asking for your point of views.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account

Wtf is your problem? If he's donating his time what's the big fucking deal if he has some bread. The shit the soup kitchen gets woulda been throwaway shit anyways. You are creating a problem where there is none and especially after he made a kind gesture to get you some (which I presume is not the free throwaway bread). Maybe you should go do some time in at the soup kitchen before you start passing judgements at people, it isn't healthy to stay in that ivory tower all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Stacyrect View Post
    Wtf is your problem? If he's donating his time what's the big fucking deal if he has some bread. The shit the soup kitchen gets woulda been throwaway shit anyways. You are creating a problem where there is none and especially after he made a kind gesture to get you some (which I presume is not the free throwaway bread). Maybe you should go do some time in at the soup kitchen before you start passing judgements at people, it isn't healthy to stay in that ivory tower all the time
    Wft is your problem? I am coming here seeking advice and some different perspectives, why are you mad at me?

Deleted
    Wft is your problem? I am coming here seeking advice and some different perspectives, why are you mad at me?
    The guy is some random shitposter, don't put too much of your mind into it :P

People get mad around these parts about real and fictional things alike, you know, it ain't easy

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Uh.

I work at a foodbank too. And the gluten-free stuff? Given away to volunteers for the most part.

We have maybe two families that I can think of OTOH that need it. The rest is either going to sit forever and get thrown away or just get straight thrown away if no one takes it.

Celiac's is not a common disease, and it's even less common for people in need of help for food to pretend to be gluten-free and want the stuff - they want the normal bread, which we also have in spades.

If I cared to (I don't; we don't eat enough bread to do so) I could bring home boxes of bread just for me every day I'm there because we have so much more than we have families for. We've had twenty milk crates of normal bread, bagels, and sweets (think starbucks pastries) that sit at the end of the day for any volunteers that want any, then for a clinic that operates in the same area to please god take some, then it gets tossed.

So.. you should probably actually find out what's happening at the foodbank before screaming about theft.
    As far as problems go, I'm so glad that its a case of having an abundance to help people instead of the people who need it not having enough. Thats pretty awesome. I can't help but be curious--what happens to the rest of it? Do you hand it out to local churches or other foodbanks that are farther away? Not nitpicking or anything, just kinda curious how stuff like that works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    You need sunlight. You need movement. You need fresh air. You need green nature. It is just as important as eating healthy, sleeping properly and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Have faith in us. Americans are fighters.

Deleted
    I am pretty good when it comes to morals.

I can tell you that you should under no circumstances kick him in the head. Violence doesn't solve problems.

And you have to be very careful. If he says "only god can judge me" or has a "only god can judge me" tattoo/t-shirt then there is literally nothing you can do.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Someone went out on a limb to do a courtesy for you and in return you think you should report him to your boss for what you apparently consider stealing from homeless people? Way to jump to conclusions. Maybe he's as fucking homeless as the people he volunteers for.