Shadow priest competitiveness in Legion

Sorry for being kinda lazy or maybe a bit paranoid aswell, now i know that shadow priest is atleast going to be average and probabbly topping some fights in legion , but i really want to know wether or not its gonna be one of those OP specs through the expansion.

Currently it seems that it is one of the best in cleave fights and obviously one of the best in fights where you can have high damage windows with StM.

I have mained a warrior through HFC and honestly we got the short end of the stick (when i started raiding mythic arms set,all str trinkets etc.. were nerfed so couldn't enjoy that op period), now i want to play a class that i like and will be very competitive in terms of carrying a raid in damage. I really enjoy the playstyle of current shadow and want to main it in Legion. Any thoughts on how competitive it will be?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by caramiowow View Post
    but i really want to know wether or not its gonna be one of those OP specs through the expansion.

I have mained a warrior through HFC and honestly we got the short end of the stick (when i started raiding mythic arms set,all str trinkets etc.. were nerfed so couldn't enjoy that op period), now i want to play a class that i like and will be very competitive in terms of carrying a raid in damage. I really enjoy the playstyle of current shadow and want to main it in Legion. Any thoughts on how competitive it will be?
    Well you should't try and chase after the FotM OP class, since that may change with every patch/tier.

Shadow is looking good in raids right now and not quite so great in dungeons but then we haven't seen the final tuning pass.

In previous expansions I'd say shadow had 1 phase of being borderline OP which was hotfixed 24h later. This was after a phase of shadow doing badly for several months with the devs going "lalala not listening - shadow is fine".
    So if you go by the story so far I wouldn't bet on shadow ever being one of "those op specs".

Playing a class with 3 dps specs would increase the chances of it happening though - still if you like the game play of shadow then by all means go for it, just not for the wrong reasons.

Deleted
    If you want to play an OP class, go for mage or warlock.
    These two classes had the most OP phases over the years of this game.
    So probably chances are good, one of them will be in Legion, too.

I haven't played since shortly after WoD launch and I played (lol OP) WL during most of MoP, but up until MoP I had been a shadow since classic.
    The only time I can remember shadow being really OP, was said 24h during CATA Tier1 progress. Man that was a funny day....

Quote Originally Posted by caramiowow View Post
    i really want to know wether or not its gonna be one of those OP specs through the expansion.
    I asked BLizzard and they said "yes".

I have done very little testing, but shadow is perhaps too good in raids at the moment from what I have done. This is just my opinion, and it includes having the MH trait.

Without STM we are competitive on single target with few adds don't die too fast, very good on multi-dot council fights, lacking on heavy burst AOE fights, and slightly upper middle of the pack on single target.

With STM we are great on single target with few adds that don't die too fast, extremely good on multi-dot council fights, lacking - very good on heavy burst aoe fights (if the fight entails more single target and less AoE), and extremely good single target.

So as you can see, without STM, we are alright, but of course STM exists, and we are way too good with it atm. I really doubt blizzard is going to leave our STM damage alone, which means a nerf to STM and/or blizzard knee-jerk reaction nerf to our spells itself, which would not be a good thing. I could be wrong but I don't see how STM is going to be left alone in it's current state. Either that or mass hysteria is going to get nerfed, since their interaction is way too good compared to the other gold traits for raiding.

In dungeons we can be good, but in a group with high cleave, you will most likely only be competitive on single target, but not to the point that you are carrying the group on bosses if everyone is around the same ilvl. I would rate us just average in dungeons for the most part. Our single target is mainly derived from STM and MH interaction on high stacks, so if you don't get to use it, don't expect amazing single target.