Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Is that not Indy car racing, rather than NASCAR?
    Nah, Indy car racing is much better than F1 these days, Indycar is more raw, more reminiscent of the glory days of F1.

I still remember how cool it was when Jacques Villeneuve convinced Williams to set his F1 car up indy style and he drove round the outside of schumacher ^^

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Warhoof View Post
    Also a LOT of sci-fi came out of eastern Europe. Especially Russia.
    Well yeah, 90% of Russia's "in development" aircraft, tanks, boats and spaceships/stations has been fiction XD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Nah, Indy car racing is much better than F1 these days, Indycar is more raw, more reminiscent of the glory days of F1.

I still remember how cool it was when Jacques Villeneuve convinced Williams to set his F1 car up indy style and he drove round the outside of schumacher ^^

- - - Updated - - -

Well yeah, 90% of Russia's "in development" aircraft, tanks, boats and spaceships/stations has been fiction XD
    That's dumb, USSR first in space amongst a great many things.
    Plz tell me when you or anyone incl Russia have done more than 1% of what happens in Sci-fi?
    How fares relations with the Vulcans? Has anyone been to the centre of the earth yet since jules verne wrote about it?
    Maybe you think your Sci-fi movies r documentaries Lol?

Deleted
    What is this thread about exactly?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Well... You just made an argument for the sentence.
    Science is as American as Apple Pie and NASCAR.

Now, since Apple Pie is rather British, and Stock car rather French/Belgian...
    Science too isn't American.
    Even if the type of racing is not American in origin, NASCAR itself is surely American.

So Sci fi is as American as apple pie - neither of them are American, hence this is true - whereas sci fi is not as American as NASCAR, so the sentence in full is incorrect.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    What is this thread about exactly?
    'murica I think

There are loads of European sci-fi writers, not sure what you are on about to be honest.

Do you mean that the sci-fi writers you personally like are American?
    First, I didn't mention writers exclusively. I explicitly said across all art branches, which also includes movies, games and alike. USA certainly dominates cinema and games. In terms of writer, the modern sci-fi (i.e., 20th century sci-fi) is dominated by American writers. The big three of sci-fi includes two Americans, one English. You may also want to check who gets Damon Knight awards. Overwhelming majority of them are Americans.

I do not mean "writers I like". I mean sci-fi scene is dominated by Americans and not bloody Europeans, get over it.

10+ Year Old Account
    NASCAR itself is surely American.
    of course, that's the name of the franchise itself.
    It's a family owned business.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    First, I didn't mention writers exclusively. I explicitly said across all art branches, which also includes movies, games and alike. USA certainly dominates cinema and games. In terms of writer, the modern sci-fi (i.e., 20th century sci-fi) is dominated by American writers. The big three of sci-fi includes two Americans, one English. You may also want to check who gets Damon Knight awards. Overwhelming majority of them are Americans.

I do not mean "writers I like". I mean sci-fi scene is dominated by Americans and not bloody Europeans, get over it.
    You said Europeans do not seem to care about sci fi anymore, yet that is clearly not true.

Are you going to argue that you do not like the current English definition of the term "do not seem to care about", then claim it should mean something entirely different than what it is understood to mean and say it proves you are right? Redefining English is your usual modus operandi.

At this point I'm pretty sure hooked and this guy are the same person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    There's the "american pie", yes, but to say "apple pie" is american is just wrong. And sci-fi is older than the USA, there are hundreds of groundbreaking sci-fi authors that were not american, Jules Verne, Stanislaw Lem etc. pp.
    You're preaching to the converted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Shepard....
    Wrex my name is commander shepard and this is my favorite post on MMO-C
    Putin khuliyo

You said Europeans do not seem to care about sci fi anymore, yet that is clearly not true.

Are you going to argue that you do not like the current English definition of the term "do not seem to care about", then claim it should mean something entirely different than what it is understood to mean and say it proves you are right? Redefining English is your usual modus operandi.
    By claiming "Europeans [writers] doesn't seem to care for sci-fi anymore", I meant, in this context, that Europe can't seem to produce quality sci-fi writers that she produced pre-20th century. I attributed this problematic situation to lack of interest of European writers on sci fi, rather than their ability. To be fairly honest, I thought this implication was as clear as the day. Finally, I didn't redefine anything, I simply opposed the contemporary usage of ME, and suggested to use the initial and geographically-more-accurate definition in our latest discussion.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2016-08-08 at 02:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like those famous Americans Mary Shelley, Jules Verne, H G Wells, etc.
    They, like XBox 360 games, are backwards-compatible Americans.

Also known as "The British"
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Err, those last two pictures are decidedly not "American".

In the Expanse, the America analogue is, if anything, Earth. The Rocinante is Martian.

And worse, Honor Harrington, in the last pic, is born into the Kingdom of Manticore. A monarchy. There's a democratic process, but it's clearly intended as an analogue for the UK, not the USA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    They, like XBox 360 games, are backwards-compatible Americans.

Also known as "The British"
    Jules Verne was French and even unintentionally mixing us up with that lot is tantamount to a declaration of war.

You know I thought it was H.G. Wells that actually started the "sciencey" science fiction stuff, but I'll admit I only know Jules Verne for "Around the World in 80 days" so I'm probably not best suited to comment
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    You know I thought it was H.G. Wells that actually started the "sciencey" science fiction stuff, but I'll admit I only know Jules Verne for "Around the World in 80 days" so I'm probably not best suited to comment
    20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Captain Nemo and all that malarkey) was certainly sci fi and that predated H G Wells, then again Frankenstein is sci fi and was written before Jules Verne was born.

It kind of depends on how you classify sci fi.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jules Verne was French and even unintentionally mixing us up with that lot is tantamount to a declaration of war.
    Uh . . . close enough.
    Putin khuliyo

By definition, Star Wars is not sci-fi, it's space fantasy.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhoof View Post
    That's dumb, USSR first in space amongst a great many things.
    Plz tell me when you or anyone incl Russia have done more than 1% of what happens in Sci-fi?
    How fares relations with the Vulcans? Has anyone been to the centre of the earth yet since jules verne wrote about it?
    Maybe you think your Sci-fi movies r documentaries Lol?
    What exactly does any of this drivel have to do with my post? O.o