Fire Burst Confusion

I'm considering maining my mage in Legion mainly because Shadow is going to be highly overlooked in Mythic + dungeons in Legion due to the way that they deal damage (high damage, but over time, not bursty). Considering Mythic+ dungeons seem like an essential part of raiding in Legion, I don't want to have to deal with the trouble of having groups skip over a good player just because of a spec.

I've been reading that Fire is one of the best specs for Mythic + dungeons due to their high burst AoE. I've been testing Fire live and certainly do good burst AoE on the target dummies with Combustion + RoP. However, I feel like I am missing something that people are talking about from a dungeon standpoint.

Doing regular Mythic dungeons, I am not nearly top on damage a lot of the time. What is a proper priority for bursting AoE on adds that won't live that long in Mythic + dungeons?

I tried reading the Altered Time guide, but didn't find anything other than keep Living Bomb and Cinderstorm on CD, which I have been doing. Any advice is much appreciated.

Deleted
    It doesn't do extreme AOE without cooldowns. It does well without much effort. But to do something too impressive you have to hit Combustion.

Very low HP AOE would likely prefer FS instead of LB but there are various combos here that aren't fully researched yet.

Don't be afraid to use combustion and Rune of Power when you know it will be up for something else important. Use all your Hot streaks on Flamestrike. It will get better the more time you play on it. Guides only do so much, gotta get comfy on it.

Do *NOT* take current Mythic dungeons as a benchmark. They're tuned for what, 685 gear? And people do them in 700-730. It's only natural that absurd things happen when you so vastly overgear the content. I've done runs where no boss was alive for more than 15-20 seconds, that makes any sort of conclusion you would draw from the resulting meters almost completely unusable.

Mythic+ will be a whole different slice of cake. Fights will take a while at high levels, giving Fire a chance to fully unfold. Also, as was mentioned, it will be much easier to use Combustion on trash if you know you have enough time for it to come back up for the boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Do *NOT* take current Mythic dungeons as a benchmark. They're tuned for what, 685 gear? And people do them in 700-730. It's only natural that absurd things happen when you so vastly overgear the content. I've done runs where no boss was alive for more than 15-20 seconds, that makes any sort of conclusion you would draw from the resulting meters almost completely unusable.

Mythic+ will be a whole different slice of cake. Fights will take a while at high levels, giving Fire a chance to fully unfold. Also, as was mentioned, it will be much easier to use Combustion on trash if you know you have enough time for it to come back up for the boss.
    This. In current mythic, adds don't live longer than 5 secs. How can fire (or any caster) be on top of the meter while melees just press 1-2 buttons and adds are all dead?

Mythic+ in Legion is a different type of beast.

Deleted
    Well, let's not exaggerate either. I think it's somewhere in the middle. When you first enter 5mans in Legion with the entry gear of each game mode, the HP of the mobs feels huge, you're going to have at least 20 seconds to build up damage. As you get raiding gear, you're going to see some packs that start dying relatively fast though it might take some time before you see extremities like 8-10sec kills of whole packs.

Also it helps to keep in mind that if you overgear content and things die as soon as you look at them - then who cares about meters. Things are dying as soon as you look at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Curnivore View Post
    Well, let's not exaggerate either. I think it's somewhere in the middle. When you first enter 5mans in Legion with the entry gear of each game mode, the HP of the mobs feels huge, you're going to have at least 20 seconds to build up damage. As you get raiding gear, you're going to see some packs that start dying relatively fast though it might take some time before you see extremities like 8-10sec kills of whole packs.
    In Legion, this just means you need a higher keystone

If you reach a point where you're blowing up trash packs in less than 20 seconds, you're probably not at the highest key level you could be.

On live, Mythic dungeons aren't a good measure of anything.