Thread: Feral vs Mage

Question Feral vs Mage

So what do guys think? Which one is better in mythic+ and raids and why? Im cant make the decision because i really LOVE playing feral but feral kinda sucked last xpac and mages are always the top dps.

In that case it all depends whether you want to have fun with a class or just be top DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Melkorr View Post
    In that case it all depends whether you want to have fun with a class or just be top DPS.
    i want both!

Quote Originally Posted by Backstabjoe View Post
    i want both!
    I would play Mage because I think mage is fun, but if Feral was top DPS and I want that too, I would roll it as an alt and work hard on gearing it too.

ALWAYS play what you enjoy. That cannot be expressed enough. Enjoyment is above all else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarkol View Post
    ALWAYS play what you enjoy. That cannot be expressed enough. Enjoyment is above all else.
    Yeah but playing a spec which is subpar in dps is simply no fun no matter the mechanics. I only play pure dps classes in past few years, just because you have 3 to choose, so there is the biggest chance that one of the spec will be top dps, also pure dps classes have like 0 utility novadays, so they might be ahead even if they are not completely tuned right.

However I wouldn't play class just because it's top dps, you have to enjoy the mechanics at least to a certain extent. Also if you play feral you will be expected to sometimes either heal or tank, that's just part of the class, and sometimes the reason why it is not dominating the dps charts.

Personally I hate melee, just because of all the cluster around bosses. So for me it's between hunter/mage/lock, hunter has one bad spec mechanically - survival, and one completely dumbed down - bm, and I like the fantasy of mage better so that's why I will play mage. Although lock is still tempting.

Not everyone will be top dps. It's nice to be able to smash the meters, but if you're going by that as a metric for playing a character, most of the time you're going to be out of luck. Again, enjoyment above all else. If you have a spec within your class that's good, you can play that to optimize, but the game is about fun, and people get lost on a couple of percent dps when it's not worth it.

If he enjoys Feral, he should absolutely play Feral, because they're absolutely fine dps wise. The same goes for mage specs.

Deleted
    Their have been so many changes which makes me really wonder what type of balancing they want. Maybe i missed some devtalks about this. But it's also exciting.

I've look at ret paladin and just today feral druid and they have quite an arsenal of utility. Paladin mostly strong cd and feral druid will probably take healing afinity to get several healing spells. Although feral could some ranged dps as well when their are phases melee suck at.

So i really wonder how they will balance it, it would make sense if non utility dps are a bit stronger.....but is the utility worth this sacrifice.
    Most likely they will just be as good in some dps departments (archetypes), but not as many as dps without utility. But looking at the magespecs i'm not sure they dps specs are mechanically designed at this possible causing some too weak specs for the entire expansion.

But going back to your answer......maybe feral will be just as good but on the safe side you have to ask yourself if you enjoy doing that little extra bit for the raid that isn't dpsing. You certainly have tools against in melee unfriendly phases. How feral actually performs and how well the mechanics combine is something for the feral forum though....I just have an feral alt mainly used as a gatherer..

Fire is way better on AoE. Feral is good on ST but has a way more stupid complex Rotation. Like over the board. Mage isn't far behind on single target but mage also has 3 dps caster specs so one will always be good for the most part. If feral gets nerfed then rip. No pun intended.