Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Could we get to a point where we could grow humans and harvest them?

Do you think we will ever get to a point in history where we could actually grow humans and harvest them?

Maybe something for like organ replacements, babies, etc? Kind of like the movie The Island?

Isnt this what we are already doing on a massive scale? Poor people sell their organs to rich people for monayz?

I wouldn't see a problem with growing humans that lack brains just so the parts can be used for transplants. If that's even a possibility due to how much a brain regulates all of the body's processes, I'm not sure. But if it is a possibility, I'm all for it.

We already do that. These herds are called communities.. they also comes in different sizes, they are called villages, towns, cities, etc.

No. Organs are much more likely to be grown piecemeal. Because even if you don't have moral objections to growing humans, and some investors might not have moral objections to growing humans for harvesting, you can bet enough people do have moral objections that it would just be easier to continue with the approach we have going now for growing organs, and just refine it to produce more and more complex organs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Sounds like someone's been watching the matrix.

Nah, no need. We just donate organs when we die. Works fine and isn't barbaric like growing people just for this purpose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickyick79 View Post

Nah, no need. We just donate organs when we die. Works fine and isn't barbaric like growing people just for this purpose.
    Could we ever get to a point where we could grow humans for power and energy like what was done in the matrix?

If you put the human body into an unconscious state, maybe it could work.

We already do it.

Some one smaller scale others on much bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickyick79 View Post

Or Man of Steel.

15+ Year Old Account
    We already grow humans and harvest them through their labour and cat gifs.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Could we ever get to a point where we could grow humans for power and energy like what was done in the matrix?

That part is the most idiotic of all about the matrix. The human body is a net loss when it comes to energy conversion. Using humans for energy would be the least efficient way you could try to get energy..

I doubt it. I don't think we give off much energy really, maybe minute amounts of electric and body heat. Would be better just to burn the bodies and use the energy from that.

Always going to be more efficient and substainable ways to power our planet. Look into Helium-3.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. The energy input required to produce a fully grown healthy human is greater than the energy output they'd provide.

They grow a bunch of stuff in test tubes now, I don't know if they are using it, but they plan to. In one article they were growing an ear to replace a patient's missing ear.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Do you think we will ever get to a point in history where we could actually grow humans and harvest them?

Maybe something for like organ replacements, babies, etc? Kind of like the movie The Island?
    Don't the Vampires already do this?

7+ Year Old Account
    It's highly inefficient, morally dubious, and politically suicidal. It makes far more sense to continue refining and expanding on the work already being done. Growing replacement parts from the stem cells of the patient in question.
    Last edited by Thoughtcrime; 2016-08-12 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    No. The energy input required to produce a fully grown healthy human is greater than the energy output they'd provide.
    I don't agree. If you are talking about something like organ harvesting from young humans, the demand is much more important than the "energy" cost.

10+ Year Old Account
    We already do this. Abortion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    No. Organs are much more likely to be grown piecemeal. Because even if you don't have moral objections to growing humans, and some investors might not have moral objections to growing humans for harvesting, you can bet enough people do have moral objections that it would just be easier to continue with the approach we have going now for growing organs, and just refine it to produce more and more complex organs.
    And think of all the waste growing whole humans would produce.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    We already do this. Abortion.
    How many fetal organs have been successfully transplanted?

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesPierre View Post
    I don't agree. If you are talking about something like organ harvesting from young humans, the demand is much more important than the "energy" cost.
    Might have been a response to the matrix example.