FL woman (age 62) charged because her 6 year old beat her newboard to death.

Source

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. – A 62-year-old Florida woman is charged with aggravated manslaughter after authorities said her 6-year-old son beat his newborn sister to death while the children and their 3-year-old brother were left alone in the family's minivan.

During a news conference Thursday, Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gulatieri said the baby -- 13-day-old Kathleen Bridget Steele -- was pronounced dead Monday afternoon at St. Petersburg General Hospital. But investigators believe she died earlier, inside the van where her mother, Kathleen Steele, had left the children for 38 minutes while she visited a cellphone repair shop.

"It was one of the worst things I've ever seen," the sheriff said.

The Tampa Bay Times reports Steele took the baby to a pediatrician Monday morning because she wasn't eating properly. The doctor found nothing wrong with the baby and later told investigators there were no signs of bruising or trauma.

Investigators say Steele went into the cellphone store at 1:50 p.m. Monday.

The 6-year-old boy told investigators the baby started fussing and he tried to calm her. But deputies said the boy later used a doll to show how he repeatedly slammed the infant's head into the minivan's ceiling, dropping her on the floor, flipping her over and pummeling her.

According to investigators, when the mother returned to the van, the boy tried to tell her something was wrong with the baby. They said she disregarded him and stopped at another business before going home. That's when she noticed the baby's injuries.

"The baby was beaten and traumatized," the sheriff said. "There was gross swelling in her face. Her skull was cracked in numerous places."

Even so, Gulatieri said Steele didn't call 911. Instead, she called a neighbor who is a nurse. The nurse recognized the baby was dead, but performed CPR until paramedics arrived.

Investigators interviewed Steele Monday night. The sheriff said during the first hour, Steele never asked about the baby and even seemed aloof. He said Steele said, "I guess I have to plan a funeral."

Gulatieri said the boy will not face criminal charges.

"The mistake is with the adult Kathleen Steele, not a 6-year-old boy," Gulatieri said.

Steele was already being scrutinized by child protection investigators, Gulatieri said. Just three days after the girl was born, an accidental fire forced the family to stay in a hotel July 29, he said. When the fire alarm went off, Steele told deputies she put the baby in the car carrier but tripped going down the stairs and the baby tumbled out, striking her head. The baby was diagnosed with a minor brain bleed and stayed for two nights in the hospital, according to Gulatieri. A report was made to the child abuse hotline.

Steele was scheduled to be evaluated by investigators Aug. 1, but she canceled and rescheduled.

On Monday, Steele's sons were placed into therapeutic foster care. Steele is being held on $100,000 bond. It's unclear if she has an attorney.

The newspaper reports Steele and her husband appeared on an episode of the reality TV show titled "I'm Pregnant and 55 Years Old." He died of cancer in 2011 at age 66. Deputies say the two youngest children were born through artificial insemination, using the dead husband's frozen sperm. Steele had been raising the children alone.
    What the actual ***** Florida?! That 6-year-old is going to be even more messed up than they already are once they grow up and realized what they did. Hell I would be scared to have that kid in my house even though I know he was put in that situation, and it's not totally his fault.

7+ Year Old Account
    Even as a 6 year old I knew not to do something like this.

The boy is as depraved as the mother.

Also 62 year old mother? Eww.

I was going to say that kid is going to be a killer when he grows up but he already is.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    This stuff always happens in Central Florida for some reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even my 5 year-old niece knows you DON'T do this shit.

FFS what is wrong with Florida?!

...Oh wait, I live there.

Disregard me.

BRB gonna wrestle with my gator.

7+ Year Old Account
    The more pressing question: Who the fuck is sleeping with 60+ year-old women and worse, knocking them up?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    The more pressing question: Who the fuck is sleeping with 60+ year-old women and worse, knocking them up?
    She looks like a crack whore to me.

15+ Year Old Account
    You would think she would've gone through menopause by 60, no?

Imagine if she's a grandmother too and her eldest child has kids of their own, the Nephew/Niece would be older than the Aunt/Uncle.
    Last edited by Khadgar; 2016-08-12 at 08:53 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Chief View Post
    There ain't no rest for the wicked..

:P

10+ Year Old Account
    She was using the frozen sperm of her dead husband.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaede View Post
    She was using the frozen sperm of her dead husband.
    Then her doctor should have his license revoked.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Chief View Post
    Not if she cycled birth control pills, since those trick your body into thinking your pregnant, you don't "drop" an egg each month you're on it & menopause happens when all your "viable eggs" are used up. At least that's how my OBGYN explained it to me.

Can we please just lance Florida from the rest of the country and let it float out to sea?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Your replies are the equivalent of a dog that farts then looks at the people in the room like they did something wrong.

Deleted
    Kinda scary she was allowed to use her dead husbands sperm in her age.

This is why not everyone should be allowed to have children....