Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I wouldn't claim global warming just yet, if this becomes the new norm, and not just a freak 500yr event, then we can be concerned.

Remember when Katrina was supposed to be the new norm according to "scientists"?

Weather gonna do crazy weather type things. This could be a 500yr cycle, 1000yr, 1500yr, 10000yr.

I'm not saying Global Warning is/isn't a thing but it definitely can't be proven as the cause.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Mormont View Post
    NO! Cause Im sure Central/West Texas would get hit too! We had a shit ton of rain a few months ago, felt like it was raining off and on (mostly on) for the past year here : /
    How's that hail for ya?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    Hope no Alligators come into town

I would be eating lots of Grits and having some Gumbo to perk me up

Alligators are pussy's when it comes to Saltwater Crocs anyway
    The Alligator population has been going down.

I live in Louisanna, while it is raining a lot, where I live we aren't having that much trouble. South East LA have a horrible water way system, it helps when you don't build a city on the bank of a fucking river...

But Lake Charles water system is also fucking horrible. I'll be honest, Louisiana's infrastructure has gone down the drain.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    As in, I don't give a shit about your doomsday crap. Most people don't.

It's rain. Get the fuck over it. Doesn't matter if it's a bit strange or not. Like I said, if it freezes over on a hot Texas summer day I'm all down for calling it more than "just another" frost but until then... no. It's bad practice to use isolated weather events unless they're THAT extreme if you're wanting to discuss over all climate patterns.

Simply because they can end up anecdotal and little else.

It's like me using crime statistics of one major city in order to say that we have a growing or decreasing crime problem within the whole of the United States. You don't do that. It defeats your argument from the get-go.
    We haven't had as much rain in Ontario as we used to, but when it rains now, it is a torrential downpour mode than it is a long heavy rain storm.

Here near Biloxi, they told everyone to get ready for flooding. They had sandbag stations and everything. Sure, we got a few heavy downpours, but nothing flooded. A lot of drizzle. Just like a tropical event though, the most rain hit the northwest of the circulation, right over Louisiana. My property in Baton Rouge flooded, but luckily it is off the ground a good bit. That rain never would have caused flooding there though if they had kept up with the storm drains like they should. The other thing to remember about Louisiana is EVERYTHING is practically below sea level, not just NOLA. Leves work but eventually bayou country gets the runoff and you get flooding.

Anyway, point is it really wasn't that aberrant tbh, not for down here on the Gulf Coast. Tropical events that don't evolve into hurricanes or hurricanes that die down to Tropical Storms or Depressions are more apt to drop loads of water as their energy level is a lot lower, and they can get a lot of residence time if the inland climate is pushing against it.

If it sits right on the coast, like this one did, it can just pull moisture in from the Gulf and dump it until it gets moved along. This type of thing has happened years before anyone breathed the words Global Warming. I can remember plenty of non-hurricane events that just dumped water on New Orleans and Lafayette, when I was growing up, for the same reasons.

I don't know about hottest year on record. The gulf is warmer than it has been in a while, but not than it has ever been.

Lost a few things and have some repairs to make but seems like it is dropping pretty rapidly here now. However that means places south of here have alot of water still coming their way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    If loserana is sick of the rain tell em to send some to south Texas. We could use some.
    East Texas, on the other hand, i.e. Houston, is replete with rain. Same with Central Texas. I couldn't tube on the Guadalupe this summer because it was so flooded.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    Louisiana has always had floods. My entire life, there have been floods, and my mom has told me stories about floods from when she was a child. When she lived in New Orleans as a child, their street and area flooded on a regular basis. This actually isn't very new. Only thing that's weird is that it's not a hurricane or tropical storm bringing the flooding in.
    A foot of rain in 12 hours without a hurricane is pretty abnormal and impressive.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Vietnamese American saves black American whose car is sinking, and her dog too

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malfecto View Post
    Here near Biloxi, they told everyone to get ready for flooding. They had sandbag stations and everything. Sure, we got a few heavy downpours, but nothing flooded. A lot of drizzle. Just like a tropical event though, the most rain hit the northwest of the circulation, right over Louisiana. My property in Baton Rouge flooded, but luckily it is off the ground a good bit. That rain never would have caused flooding there though if they had kept up with the storm drains like they should. The other thing to remember about Louisiana is EVERYTHING is practically below sea level, not just NOLA. Leves work but eventually bayou country gets the runoff and you get flooding.

Anyway, point is it really wasn't that aberrant tbh, not for down here on the Gulf Coast. Tropical events that don't evolve into hurricanes or hurricanes that die down to Tropical Storms or Depressions are more apt to drop loads of water as their energy level is a lot lower, and they can get a lot of residence time if the inland climate is pushing against it.

If it sits right on the coast, like this one did, it can just pull moisture in from the Gulf and dump it until it gets moved along. This type of thing has happened years before anyone breathed the words Global Warming. I can remember plenty of non-hurricane events that just dumped water on New Orleans and Lafayette, when I was growing up, for the same reasons.

I don't know about hottest year on record. The gulf is warmer than it has been in a while, but not than it has ever been.
    Yeah I live in the South-West and it has been raining hard, but it has not flooded yet so far from what I hard for us folks in rural areas. I did get like 3 hours off of work because they had us close up early.

Even if it flooded, we would all still be safe, all of our houses are on stilts mostly 12 feet in the air.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    East Texas, on the other hand, i.e. Houston, is replete with rain. Same with Central Texas. I couldn't tube on the Guadalupe this summer because it was so flooded.

- - - Updated - - -

A foot of rain in 12 hours without a hurricane is pretty abnormal and impressive.
    We tubed the Guadalupe like 3 weeks ago.

And you consider Houston east Texas? That's odd. We have always considered it part of south Texas. Maybe just a us though.

10+ Year Old Account

And you consider Houston east Texas? That's odd. We have always considered it part of south Texas. Maybe just a us though.
    A handy guide to the different states of Texas. I guess Houston is part of the Carcinogenic Coast.

15+ Year Old Account
    I never considered it south myself. More like anything south to it is south Texas.

i want to build a house in a bowl....so when it rains i can complain about it flooding

Water really didnt surprise me as much as my power not going out all weekend. My power company is notorious for outages when a bird pisses on the line. Most of the water is gone from here now though aslong as backflow doesn't reach this far north which isn't likely.

10+ Year Old Account

I was trying to tube the Guadalupe at the beginning of July, and the water was high enough it was overtopping the bridge by Gruene.

Houston is the easternmost big city in Texas. I suppose you could call it Southeast Texas, but when I think of South Texas, I think of Corpus Christi and Brownsville. Even San Antonio is further south than Houston.

I was trying to tube the Guadalupe at the beginning of July, and the water was high enough it was overtopping the bridge by Gruene.

Houston is the easternmost big city in Texas. I suppose you could call it Southeast Texas, but when I think of South Texas, I think of Corpus Christi and Brownsville. Even San Antonio is further south than Houston.
    As a South Texan, this is correct.

GTFO Houston you got your own shit, stay away from South Texas

country is 200+ years...but the estimate is every 500. christ.. from now on..expect weather like this every 15-20 years

Must have just been where I grew up.

But I got my wish. Been raining like crazy all day in SA and more to come.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the part that's weird - usually a tropical depression just falls apart if it doesn't turn into a hurricane. We've had them before when I was living in Baton Rouge, and there's some flooding, but nothing this intense. It's strange, yes, that this tropical depression/low pressure system held it together long enough to wreak this much havoc.

In the mean time, it's apparently moving into Texas now.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    That's the part that's weird - usually a tropical depression just falls apart if it doesn't turn into a hurricane. We've had them before when I was living in Baton Rouge, and there's some flooding, but nothing this intense. It's strange, yes, that this tropical depression/low pressure system held it together long enough to wreak this much havoc.

In the mean time, it's apparently moving into Texas now.
    It was pretty damn rainy today in Houston. Lots of flash flood warnings.

It was pretty damn rainy today in Houston. Lots of flash flood warnings.
    Thinking this will be a classic case of being careful what you wish for. I asked for rain and it hasn't stopped raining at my house all day. With more to come tomorrow. Supposed to take kids to six flags tomorrow