Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Gul'dan is now officially one of the greatest WoW villains
    agreed .

You mean the most boring villain, right ?

Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    You mean the most boring villain, right ?
    this.

Guldan's just another orc Warlord. And I think I speak for alot of people when I say ¨We¨have enough of orcs.

The ¨new¨ Gul'dan, I don't think he's got much than any other Heroic 5 men's boss, he's cliché paper thin character.

I just don't see why he's got alot of spotlight since WoD, the movie and Legion. Sure he's one of the most evil guy in WoW, ( in the movie with durotan and Varian Killing blow). Look at me i'm very very evil rawwwrrr

Greatest ? Nah not even close.

Thats one of the guy I wish I would never see coming back

Quote Originally Posted by Felpacino View Post
    I just read the titles and I reply to them, regardless what they write below. Yes yes, I'm an average forum poster
    Are you serious?
    That should be a bannable offense. I hate people like you.

So much missing the point of everything it's laughable. Yes, Guldan is a villain, and yes, he's had a lot of screen time; but, in the grand scheme of things, he's a lackey. He's a servant to Sargeras and the Burning Legion. He kind of needs the screen time since he's one of the few (if not only) characters to be able to walk freely outside of the Nether to influence things.
    Deathwing: while I agree the fight was lackluster, there's more than enough lore behind him if people would just read things instead of focusing on what's in game. Also, let's look at the fact he's one of the few people to ever completely change the face of a world single handedly.
    Garrosh: not sure why people always lessen him more than what he is. Did he want power, did he want conquest? Sure. Let's also look at the fact that he was helped by Wrathion as well as a Bronze Dragon to go to an alternate world to unite that entire world to face the Burning Legion. People say he ran to daddy, yet Grommash never knew Garrosh was his son until the betrayal by Guldan. Garrosh also managed to form an entire army (one he didn't even lead) in an attempt to bring glory to the Orcs and the Horde. He even knew he wouldn't make a good Warchief yet Thrall appointed him anyways, leading Garrosh to do what he knows, war and power. Using both he sought to make the horde stronger and bring it back to being ruled with an iron fist like he felt it should be.
    The lore and story of everyone is there for people to read and learn about these characters. Do that, and you will just think of Guldan as another player that just helps the real villains.

Well yeah, he's done more devastatingly, permanently negative impact than any other villain since Arthas so far and offers more legitimate reason for being hated by everyone than any other character right now. I guess it's safe to say he's hit a new low.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    So much missing the point of everything it's laughable. Yes, Guldan is a villain, and yes, he's had a lot of screen time; but, in the grand scheme of things, he's a lackey. He's a servant to Sargeras and the Burning Legion. He kind of needs the screen time since he's one of the few (if not only) characters to be able to walk freely outside of the Nether to influence things.
    Deathwing: while I agree the fight was lackluster, there's more than enough lore behind him if people would just read things instead of focusing on what's in game. Also, let's look at the fact he's one of the few people to ever completely change the face of a world single handedly.
    Garrosh: not sure why people always lessen him more than what he is. Did he want power, did he want conquest? Sure. Let's also look at the fact that he was helped by Wrathion as well as a Bronze Dragon to go to an alternate world to unite that entire world to face the Burning Legion. People say he ran to daddy, yet Grommash never knew Garrosh was his son until the betrayal by Guldan. Garrosh also managed to form an entire army (one he didn't even lead) in an attempt to bring glory to the Orcs and the Horde. He even knew he wouldn't make a good Warchief yet Thrall appointed him anyways, leading Garrosh to do what he knows, war and power. Using both he sought to make the horde stronger and bring it back to being ruled with an iron fist like he felt it should be.
    The lore and story of everyone is there for people to read and learn about these characters. Do that, and you will just think of Guldan as another player that just helps the real villains.
    Copying the entire post, cuz I'm at my phone and its hard to sort out the part I want: deathwing.

That why I'd like to have ALL the story IN the game with the books being some kind of Encyclopedia instead of the game being tiny bits of story. I mean all those in-game plot lines being left unfinished, just to finish them in the books, it makes no sense.

Deleted
    I don't understand why he is so powerful. He looks pretty weak

I doubt we'll kill his in the raid, we'll beat him down to almost dead and then most likely since he's got fel magic (which is magic made from death), he'll just escape death from us and get away but like someone else mentioned, probably his leader will show up and tell him how he's sick of his failing and kill him himself and then we'll find out we have to later on face the true face of evil that was telling Gul'dan what to do all along.

I do agree though that Gul'dan has been one of the best villains in WoW just like Arthas.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkguyver2020 View Post
    No other villain since Arthas Menethil (The Lich King) has had nearly as much development in the WoW lore.

Blizzard reduced Illidan into a generic bad guy in BC (Hopefully to be addressed in Legion). Deathwing was just "RAAARRAARRR, I'M A BIG EVIL DRAGON" and Garrosh was just a warmongering c***.

Gul'dan has been shown to be diabolical, manipulative and ruthless in his appearances. He takes delight in being evil and trying to bring his demon lords plans to fruition. Plus, what happens during the Broken Shore actually gives the players a true motive to want to kill him at the end of the Nighthold raid. All the aspects of a great villain.

Despite Warlords of Draenor being the worst WoW expansion, bar none. We can at least praise Blizzard for bringing this version of Gul'dan into the spotlight.

Who else agrees with me on this? Discuss.
    Technically, this Gul'dan is from WoD, so...

The actual, first Gul'dan is dead. The original one. The one we get isn't him.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkguyver2020 View Post
    Gul'dan has been shown to be diabolical, manipulative and ruthless in his appearances. He takes delight in being evil and trying to bring his demon lords plans to fruition. Plus, what happens during the Broken Shore actually gives the players a true motive to want to kill him at the end of the Nighthold raid. All the aspects of a great villain.
    See, to me that's exactly why I find him to be a poorly written villain. Why is destroying everything so important to him and what is he getting out of it? All you ever really know is that he wants power, they don't really expand on what he wants to do with all that power. He's evil for the sake of being evil, and that's pretty boring. I prefer when there's a motive. Illidan might have been "generic" but he had a cause. His actions were all supposed to lead him to a goal, morals be damned.

Arthas was an amazing villain because there was a great story being told. He started out as a hero trying to save his people and ended up being one of the greatest threat his people ever faced. There's something very tragic and ironic about his story, but it's also hard to feel too bad for him because he was arrogant and over-zealous as well. His thirst for revenge consumed him and he made questionable moral choices that lead up to him becoming a Death Knight.

Gul'dan is one-dimensional. They add a lot to his story, but they don't develop the character itself. He's bad because he's just bad.
    Last edited by Archibalde; 2016-08-14 at 01:56 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ji-tae View Post
    I also get the impression he's pretty weak. Khadgar almost had him in the tomb and without much risk to himself. I don't really understand why this Gul'dan is that dangerous. I guess he got more power after the whole affair in the tomb?

Quote Originally Posted by Archibalde View Post
    See, to me that's exactly why I find him to be a poorly written villain. Why is destroying everything so important to him and what is he getting out of it? All you ever really know is that he wants power, they don't really expand on what he wants to do with all that power. He's evil for the sake of being evil, and that's pretty boring. I prefer when there's a motive. Illidan might have been "generic" but he had a cause. His actions were all supposed to lead him to a goal, morals be damned.

Arthas was an amazing villain because there was a great story being told. He started out as a hero trying to save his people and ended up being one of the greatest threat his people ever faced. There's something very tragic and ironic about his story, but it's also hard to feel too bad for him because he was arrogant and over-zealous as well. His thirst for revenge consumed him and he made questionable moral choices that lead up to him becoming a Death Knight.

Gul'dan is one-dimensional. They add a lot to his story, but they don't develop it a whole lot. He's bad because he's just bad.
    Not everyone must have a tragic back stoy(Wich gul'dan kind have).You can see with Kil'jaeden and Archimonde.

They are Bad guys because Sargeras offers then Power,nothing more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Archibalde View Post

Gul'dan is one-dimensional. They add a lot to his story, but they don't develop the character itself. He's bad because he's just bad.
    Yeah I don't get that either. He was bullied and cast out and now he wants to be the bully and kill everyone? I don't get it. When he talks to Varian he says he wants to destroy his enemies. Well Gul'dan, if you weren't trying to kill them first they wouldn't be your enemies.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ji-tae View Post
    Listen to the audiobooks that blizz put out on the warcraft youtube channel, he gets buffed by demons n shit

Deleted
    Gul'dan is the Burning Legion's pre-eminent mortal servant, and he pretty much has been ever since the early RTS days. It is only fitting that what is pretty much the ur-villain of the entire franchise's storyline who have wrought untold amounts of pain and destruction through his extended machination would be a force to be reckoned with.

If you listen/read the Tomb of sargeras thing that Blizzard released (for free, so go find it if you haven't), he grows in stature and nuance even further.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    I'm sure it's been explained, but this Gul'dan is not the same as the last one. This Gul'dan was not born in the Shadowmoon Clan, but instead the 'nameless clan' wherein he was a cripple and an outcast instead of an apprentice shaman. This Gul'dan wound up somehow discovering the Fel after being turned down by the Elements, a previously unheard method of gaining warlock power, while the original Gul'dan was approached by Kil'jaeden in disguise and offered power. This Gul'dan shows extreme levels of power, while the original Gul'dan couldn't even handle the Tomb of Sargeras on his own.

This Gul'dan also likely cannot "die" unless we chase his essence into the nether.
    This Gul'dan has also had a power upgrade since the end of WoD and he wasn't a slouch in the power department then.
    When I was younger I used to hope bad things wouldn't happen.
    Now I just hope they're at least funny when they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Felpacino View Post
    What? Arthas' character development has dominated the whole Warcraft 3. Even after I beat Archimonde, I said that the best thing in the game was Arthas' character arc. That shit was too good. He is the best villain in Warcraft.
    Arthas wow development was shit.
    All they did was make him pop up during every quest line and watch you kill his "ZOMGSUPERPAWURFAL lieutenants" and then let you live cause of his terrible plan to make you his strongest army even though the whole of the scourge is EASILY a stronger army than the players that kill him.

He basically gave up his army and put himself in an extremely vulnerable position for the CHANCE of getting a weaker army. Terrible writing.

Arthas is just an overrated villain that lives off his wc3 story.
    Last edited by Koreche; 2016-08-14 at 02:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer Gul'dans WoW's character development to Arthas. I wasn't a big fan of Wrath Lich King. He was the best villain back in WC3 though, but for me, Gul'dan has been the best villain handled in the MMO, I'm sure Troy Baker helps. Also a fan of Lei Shen, though he was obviously short lived compared to the other 2.